-----

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Buying stocks with play money - what to buy?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

The stock market is poised for a plunge. That being the case, one should be buying precious metals in the form of exchange traded funds (ETFs) which are allocated to actual metals in storage and not simply IOU or metals certificates.

The Sprott funds come to mind:

PHYS - Gold Fund
PSLV - Silver Fund
SPPP - Platinum and Palladium Fund

Always use a discount broker like Scottrade, ETrade, or Ameritrade. Full-service brokers are out to get you with fees and other nonsense.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I like covered call funds, which yield 6 - 9% in the UK.

P2P has been very good for me, but don't confuse it with P4P which Winston loves so much.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Ghost wrote: Any metals I bought would have to be in my possession or of someone I trust. The IOU-for-metals scam is far too obvious. I've seen those commercials for buying gold many times, and I wondered why, if gold is so great, why would any company want to sell it rather than keep it? Then I figured it was because they never had any intention of it leaving their possession, instead giving IOUs to customers.
Completely agree, that is why I do not recommend unallocated metals funds like the popular GLD and IAU. Sprott funds are ALLOCATED and you could theoretically arrange to actually take delivery if you wanted. I am sure they would make you pay a fee for that, but Sprott is not IOU like the popular gold funds. Sprott funds are a catagory apart called Closed-End Funds that trade like ETFs.

The Bullion traders make money by selling it to you with a fee on top of the spot price called a premium. They also buy it back from you for a little less than the spot price so they make money on both ends of the deal, much more than just hoarding and holding it.

I too agree that physical possession of a portion of gold is a good idea. But there are fakes out there. Only buy from well-regarded companies American Precious Metals Exchange (APMEX.com) and KITCO.com which is a Canadian company with a plethora of resource material. Both will ship bullion to you. Only buy bars with "assay" certifications so you can sell them easily, never a naked bar without assay.

Word of note for new bullion buyers:

-Secure storage is an issue because bullion invites theft attempts. Get yourself a home safe and firearms when you get into bullion because home invasion robbery chances will increase when someone leaks that you are stacking bullion.

-Consider a private high security storage company or a bank safe deposit box to store your bullion.

-Try to keep half of your bullion stored abroad. Keep in mind DO NOT BUY coins, buy bars because coins are currency and can be seized by Customs if you do not declare it. Coins also tend to have higher premiums above spot price than bars.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Silver is way under valued.
Time to Hide!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Moretorque wrote:Silver is way under valued.
As are platinum, palladium, and rhodium especially.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I don't see how oil can stay this low either?
Time to Hide!
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
Ghost wrote: Any metals I bought would have to be in my possession or of someone I trust. The IOU-for-metals scam is far too obvious. I've seen those commercials for buying gold many times, and I wondered why, if gold is so great, why would any company want to sell it rather than keep it? Then I figured it was because they never had any intention of it leaving their possession, instead giving IOUs to customers.
Completely agree, that is why I do not recommend unallocated metals funds like the popular GLD and IAU. Sprott funds are ALLOCATED and you could theoretically arrange to actually take delivery if you wanted. I am sure they would make you pay a fee for that, but Sprott is not IOU like the popular gold funds. Sprott funds are a catagory apart called Closed-End Funds that trade like ETFs.

The Bullion traders make money by selling it to you with a fee on top of the spot price called a premium. They also buy it back from you for a little less than the spot price so they make money on both ends of the deal, much more than just hoarding and holding it.

I too agree that physical possession of a portion of gold is a good idea. But there are fakes out there. Only buy from well-regarded companies American Precious Metals Exchange (APMEX.com) and KITCO.com which is a Canadian company with a plethora of resource material. Both will ship bullion to you. Only buy bars with "assay" certifications so you can sell them easily, never a naked bar without assay.

-Secure storage is an issue because bullion invites theft attempts. Get yourself a home safe and firearms when you get into bullion because home invasion robbery chances will increase when someone leaks that you are stacking bullion.

-Consider a private high security storage company or a bank safe deposit box to store your bullion.

-Try to keep half of your bullion stored abroad. Keep in mind DO NOT BUY coins, buy bars because coins are currency and can be seized by Customs if you do not declare it. Coins also tend to have higher premiums above spot price than bars.

This is good advice with gold. With a mining engineer in the family, we have been buying small gold properties that are undervalued. One way or the other, over to.e. holding gd is good insurance.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:

This is good advice with gold. With a mining engineer in the family, we have been buying small gold properties that are undervalued. One way or the other, over time, holding gold is good insurance.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Silver and Gold should be way higher than it is right now. Isn't part of the problem that elites control and rig the markets in their favor, by manipulating prices lower or higher in order to profit from the mess?

Gold has definitely been manipulated downwards, so why should I put money in Gold ETF or stocks now?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

zboy1 wrote:Silver and Gold should be way higher than it is right now. Isn't part of the problem that elites control and rig the markets in their favor, by manipulating prices lower or higher in order to profit from the mess?

Gold has definitely been manipulated downwards, so why should I put money in Gold ETF or stocks now?
Zboy the whole entire economic model world wide is a rigged mirage. As Dr. Paul has stated," honest money honest civilization " ! The credit monopoly model currently under use is a system erected to manipulate all including the world citizenry into compliant cattle to be managed from cradle to grave with a unlimited supply of #'s for us dummies to chase for a living from dawn till dusk.

Real tanagable assets and precious metals historically have proven a sound way to preserve wealth. Buying real estate can be iffy if you have to pick up and leave for some reason where as you can take your metals with you. Try and do that with land and here in America there is no rule of law as of 9/11 2001 for property rights. The money changers want the land here in America now so you better consider that when you buy any property anywhere world wide because they want it all then lease it back to us their surfs under the guise of freedom in the communal dictatorship. :D Sounds like fun don't it ! As G Edward Griffin has stated, we are supposed to enjoy this modern serfdom with a smile. :roll:
Time to Hide!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Ghost, silver is the best value in relationship to gold. I think our masters want to do a gold back Yuan once they blow all the Western fiat currencies out along with Western civilization itself. Why is the West getting rid of all it's gold? they have plans to dispose of the West I believe and then gold will be revalued at what the money master say of course and claim the Eastern currencies are backed by precious metals but that is all horse sh/it because they do what they want. You know....... the sheople! :roll:

India seems to be buying n hording silver big time, Silver comes out of the ground at a ratio of about 9 to 1 in relationship to gold and its 'currently selling for around 1/70th of gold and it has 18 times more industrial uses. Coins are much more divisible than bars and should retain demand value better.

Throughout history silver has been the peoples money and gold the elites money.
Time to Hide!

Return to “Business, Finance, Taxes, Investments, Cost of Living, etc.”