Just Passed up on Over $100M

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Just Passed up on Over $100M

Post by MrMan »

Some people I was thinking of doing business with contact my wife and I recently. There was someone who made some huge amount on a certain kind of international translation and was going to get more money than they could do with, and they were looking for 50 people, or however many, to share with. There was a story of where the money came from, but the details were fuzzy.

I needed to give them a SWIFT code to get the money. I wondered if the money originated with that African prince who has been emailing people for 20 years about giving away his money. So they give us a form to fill out and a page of conditions.

Basically, we have to agree to pay taxes on it, pay 1% admin fee, split the money with a certain charity... of one of the guys who contacted my wife and I... and then give the rest away to charities. I wouldn't mind having money to do that, but only if there was enough money to substitute for my salary so that I could have the time to go around and to that. I would end up with about 150K under this scenario. But the guy said they changed their mind... verbally... and would just let you have the money.

The other page asked for my parent's names, my driver's license number, and my bank account information.

The long of the short of it is I shared some concerns, got offline with my wife to talk and pray. I pointed out to all of them that with this information, someone could open bank accounts, get loans in your name, or possibly take money out of your bank account. Mother's maiden name is a typical password for a lot of banks.

I really don't think the guys I spoke with were trying to scam me. I think the fellow who introduced the other man to it was a step or two or three away from a scammer who was collecting credit card information. One of his friends had paid some money for processing fees to get the money. It was too close to a typical scam.

We told them if they made millions at it, to remember us. The guy had only recruited 3 people who were willing to go through with it, and I would not be surprised if he lost one of them after they spoke with us.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

glanmit
Freshman Poster

Re: Just Passed up on Over $100M

Post by glanmit »

Wow, that's a wild story you've got there. So, you were approached by these folks with an international translation gig that sounded a bit sketchy, especially with the SWIFT code request. They had a whole plan where you'd get a chunk of money but had to agree to taxes, admin fees, charity shares, and more.
Things got weirder when they changed their minds and wanted to just give you the money. They also asked for personal info like driver's license and bank details. Good thing you took a step back, talked with your wife, and realized the potential risks of identity theft and scams.
If you're looking for financial advice or mortgage insights, AmeriSave reviews https://amerisave.pissedconsumer.com/review.html might be worth checking out. You did the right thing by staying cautious – that situation definitely had some red flags waving. Stay safe and keep those scam radars on high alert!