Languages that you love and languages that you can't f'n' stand

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Languages that you love and languages that you can't f'n' stand

Post by Lucas88 »

Even though Spanish is my cherished wife I also find Brazilian Portuguese exceptionally beautiful and would have definitely learned it if I didn't already know Spanish. I dabbled in the language a little in the mid 2010s due to my fascination for the beautiful country of Brazil but I soon got bored of studying it due to the close similarity with Spanish and gave up. I prefer novelty when it comes to my language studies. Anyway, Brazilian Portuguese sounds to me like a sweeter version of Spanish with its phenomes often slurred or softened and its unique musical intonation which sounds somewhat similar to that of Italian although it may also have its origin in the African languages which came to Brazil during the Atlantic slave trade. Portuguese's grammar is very close to Spanish grammar and has been simplified a little in comparison to the latter with the generalized loss of the second-person verb conjugation (e.g., você ama vs. tú amas). Like Spanish, I think that Porto is a well-designed Romance language with a pleasant and sometimes heavenly phonology and a whole lot of passion and sexiness.

Spokeswoman of the Movimento Nas Ruas speaking beautiful Portuguese and talking sense about the so-called "cultura do estupro":

Language teacher with sexy voice showing examples of 10 different accents of Brazilian Portuguese:

Rosana Fiengo - Un Homem não é um Nome

Here is an example of Angolan Portuguese sung by a sexy African woman with a big butt :D :

Pérola - Fala Do Que Quiseres

Portuguese is another excellent language. I probably would have learned it as my primary foreign language if I'd never got into Spanish. In fact Portuguese was a major contender when I was deciding which language to study first but I went with Spanish in the end since I prefer Spanish-language music, have interest in a variety of Hispanic countries and always had ties with Spain since childhood.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

I'm also a fan of both Russian and Serbo-Croatian (the language which is spoken in the various countries of the former Yugoslavia: Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro).

From my brief amateurish dabbling in these two languages over the years, I can say that I really love how Slavic languages work grammatically and how they form their vocabulary through a system of affixes attached to basic roots. Russian, Serbo-Croatian and other Slavic languages have a conservative grammar with complex noun declension and a moderate degree of verbal inflection but these are not as difficult as they seem and can be mastered pretty quickly through practice. Slavic word formation is very effective. It's almost of an agglutinative character. You can create more complex terms from simple ones by adding various suffixes to the basic word, usually using native roots which are immediately understandable to most native speakers. The system of word formation is extremely intuitive if you already have knowledge of a few thousand basic root words. I think that Slavic languages even surpass my beloved Romance languages in this regard. From what I've seen they have an unbelievable level of plasticity and potential for new coinages is practically unlimited.

Although a bit "harsher" than the likes of Spanish and Italian, Russian is a language which can sound really sweet and feminine when spoken by a woman (check out the machine voice for Russian in Google Translate) yet also extremely masculine when spoken by a man (and many Russian men today are still pretty manly). Russian is a good example of the manifest sexual dimorphism of language which @WilliamSmith so highly values. In fact, Russian phonology is characterized by contrasting pairs of soft and hard sounds. Almost every consonant has its soft and hard versions. This might be why the language sounds so feminine when spoken by women yet so masculine when spoken by men. One polarity of this soft-hard duality might typically be emphasized over the other depending on the gender of the speaker just like in Traditional Chinese Medicine we all have both yin and yang energy with the yin predominating in women and the yang predominating in men.

An example of feminine Russian spoken by celebrity and politician Natalia Poklonskaya:

A documentary about the legendary Russian wrestler Alexander Karelin which features a lot of masculine Russian including some words spoken by the man himself:

Russian also has a reputation as an extremely deep and nuanced language for the brilliant works of literature that it has produced such as the esteemed works of Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Pushkin, Solzhenitsyn and many others (I'm sure that @WilliamSmithwho, like myself, is a fan of well-developed adult women with big butts is not a fan of that pervert Vladimir Nabokov though :lol: ). Some people say that German is a deep philosophical language and I don't doubt that that's true, but I suspect that Russian can be just as deep as German while at the same time maintaining its fiery passion characteristic of Slavic peoples and a natural fluidity of articulation which sounds much nicer than the stern and soulless robotic quality of German. Moreover, Russian spoken by the average Russian man also sounds a lot more masculine than the typical modern-day semi-sissified "liberal" German male (I agree with William that most German men today sound a little bit faggy) as we've already established. Likewise Russian women tend to speak in a way that is much more feminine than the semi-androgynous speech of the typical modern-day feminist German female.

Russian national anthem sung (sounds mystical and hair-raising :P )

Here are some very spacey-sounding Russian songs by the female singer Linda:

An example of a hyperfeminine rendition of Russian with a Russian cover of that annoying Barbie Girl song by Agua (Blame communism!!! :lol: ).

Last edited by Lucas88 on August 1st, 2022, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 1:22 am
Though even sissy men in modern Japan still sound much easier on the ear speaking their "casual" Japanese, vs the way weak "liberal" German men speak German, which is just awful and sounds worse than almost anything, even if the German language itself is legendary.....
So I guess we'll see whether Rammstein was the last death-gasp and travesty of the ancient Wagnerian masculine German, or whether the Germanics can rise again... good luck guys!
Don't be fooled by Rammstein's deep masculine vocals, @WilliamSmith. Rammstein are a bunch of liberal degenerates who sing about all kinds of disgusting things from sadomasochism and incest to cannibalism and necrophilia and even reenact acts of sodomy on stage at their concerns. You'd hate them if you investigated their lyrics or watched footage of their concerts.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 4:11 pm
WilliamSmith wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 1:22 am
Though even sissy men in modern Japan still sound much easier on the ear speaking their "casual" Japanese, vs the way weak "liberal" German men speak German, which is just awful and sounds worse than almost anything, even if the German language itself is legendary.....
So I guess we'll see whether Rammstein was the last death-gasp and travesty of the ancient Wagnerian masculine German, or whether the Germanics can rise again... good luck guys!
Don't be fooled by Rammstein's deep masculine vocals, @WilliamSmith. Rammstein are a bunch of liberal degenerates who sing about all kinds of disgusting things from sadomasochism and incest to cannibalism and necrophilia and even reenact acts of sodomy on stage at their concerns. You'd hate them if you investigated their lyrics or watched footage of their concerts.
Oh, I've seen all that! I got the first Rammstein album literally in 1995, LOL! I used to think that BS was funny and even laughed my ass off at their concert video of that Buck Dich video where Till Lindemann pulled the little weak talentless faggot keyboard player out on a leash with the fake firehose dildo, LOL. Totally tasteless garbage, but it wasn't my fault since I didn't produce that nonsense, so I still thought it was funny at the time.
I didn't have any prejudices against homos at that time because I thought they were just silly oddballs kind of like hermaphrodites. But I just was naive and didn't realize the deep entrenchment connecting homosexuality with pedophilia like the jews have now pushed on everyone, and are trying to normalize and bring out in the open as though it's supposedly normal.
But I have no further interest in German, regardless: Hitler was right about jews, but he was a weak limp-wristed beta-male who was too soft, gentle and tolerant of the jews and his other enemies, and the Germans weren't even remotely close to brutal enough with the jews. The "holocaust" was a total fabrication, but should have been a reality. Future leaders will give the jews what they truly deserve, learning from the mistakes of the Germans, who were too soft, weak and tolerant, and now their nation is utterly destroyed, along with the pathetic anglo-cucks in the UK and USSA who fought for the jewish side instead of the right side.

Also, in case I wasn't offensive enough about the shit-heels from Rammstein: Yes, Rammstein sucks, their first album was amusingly barbaric, their 2nd had some appealing qualities in parts, their third as a total embarrassment with a few mildly amusing moments, and the pathetic faggotry they put out from then onward was a totally pathetic travesty where they just became musically weaker and more insipid and pathetic with each release, and might have well been doing Green Day cover songs to preserve some of their dignity (not that they ever had much dignity to begin with).
And yet, humorously, the state of "Europe" being what it was, they were constantly protested by antifa just because they superficially resembled something actually Germanic and superficially masculine. :lol:
The rotting carcass of feminized, homophiliac, judaized Western Europe is probably better off now it's swamped full of "virulently antisemitic, homophobic, and transphobic" muslim hordes, LOL. Now the sheenies infesting it are running away from it crying of "antisemitism." :mrgreen:
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 2:03 pm
Here is an example of Angolan Portuguese sung by a sexy African woman with a big butt :D :
Pérola - Fala Do Que Quiseres

Portuguese is another excellent language. I probably would have learned it as my primary foreign language if I'd never got into Spanish. In fact Portuguese was a major contender when I was deciding which language to study first but I went with Spanish in the end since I prefer Spanish-language music, have interest in a variety of Hispanic countries and always had ties with Spain since childhood.
Good-looking woman! :D
I don't have much of a feel for Portuguese, but it sounds nice enough. :)
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 3:56 pm
Russian also has a reputation as an extremely deep and nuanced language for the brilliant works of literature that it has produced such as the esteemed works of Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Pushkin, Solzhenitsyn and many others (I'm sure that @WilliamSmithwho, like myself, is a fan of well-developed adult women with big butts is not a fan of that pervert Vladimir Nabokov though :lol: ).
I'd bet that that filthy despicable pedophile Nabokov is a crypto-jew, were I a betting man. But regardless, fascinating surprising fact: He married a jewess!!!! What a coincidence! :o

I like some Russian classical composers, but have never really been able to admire any classical European (broadly including Russians in that) literary works (unless you count the Memoirs of Casanova, but not sure most would).
I'm only really an ardent admirer of ancient literary works in the classical Chinese.
I'm interested in Japanese and Vietnamese ancient literature too, but haven't had time to delve in yet.
The Germans and Nordics seemed to have a sharp edge to their thought that I really like in some ways, but the buttboys from the Roman Empire (I almost called them "Latrinos," but didn't want to cause misconceptions since you and both like the Latin American brands of those like the Robert Davi or Danny Trejo types, not to be confused with the buttboys from old Rome who I meant to label "Latrinos" based on their Latin) and the Abrahamic religions destroyed most of our old culture and traditions. That being the case, it's quite impressive how much of an edge even those few scraps of sagas and bastardizes myths managed to survive the onslaught of those faggots and their alien judaic hoax slave religions. Of course, you may not see it that way, since you're not the #1 biggest fan of the barbarian people from the Germanic races, particularly not your own native UK, LOL. :o

As for the Russians and their voluminous output I have to admit I agreed with Mike Tyson even before I ever saw him as "kinfolk" based on my dating/mating choice of getting together with dark-skinned black American women :lol: :
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 11:07 pm
As for the Russians and their voluminous output I have to admit I agreed with Mike Tyson even before I ever saw him as "kinfolk" based on my dating/mating choice of getting together with dark-skinned black American women :lol: :
That Mike Tyson quote peaked my interest. I did a search for it on Google wanting to know why the legend Iron Mike thinks that people shouldn't read that "Tolstoy crap" and the only thing that he said in that regard was that it's for "nerds" and is of no help to anybody in the real world. At first I thought that it was just a case of a combat sport meathead -- albeit a very nice and well-spoken one -- being unable to appreciate the classical literature of the world, but understanding that Iron Mike isn't a dumbass and that many of the so-called classics are indeed overrated, I decided to look into Tolstoy a bit more.

Now I would like to clarify that I've never read Tolstoy or much of the Russian side and when I said "brilliant works of literature" I was simply referring to works which many intellectuals hold in high esteem for their supposed depth and literary brilliance. I've mostly read German philosophy and Hispanic literature. Anyway, I cannot comment on the style of writing because I'm not fluent in Russian, but even a brief investigation of Tolstoy's writing soon revealed to me that it mostly consists of Jewdeo-Christian anarchist and pacifist claptrap centered on the ethical teachings of Jesus and aimed at asceticism and nonviolent resistance. He was an ardent champion of the slavish "turn the other cheek" mandate. No wonder his works have been so promoted. Iron Mike was right! Tolstoy's work really is crap which people shouldn't read. I know that I'll not be reading anything that Tolstoy wrote!

A brief look at the Russian literature from that time widely regarded as "classical" reveals that too much of it suffers from the pernicious influence of the Jewish hoax slave religion and its miserable slave morality which only seeks to inject weakness and servility into the souls of otherwise healthy Gentile individuals. Such spiritual degeneracy has infected all of European society. Maybe this is the reason why you have never been able to admire any classical European literature and instinctively prefer the classics and philosophy of Asia which are free from the Jewdeo-Christian perversion.

I think that we need to start a thread on world literature where we can discuss whether particular works regarded as "classics" really do have merit or whether they are vastly overrated or just outright claptrap posing as something "deep".
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Same with me I could not handle the religious crazy stuff in Russian literature. I rather read Stefan Zweig which could be seen as the secular version of Desto and co.

Btw. Lucas I read 'Man without qualities' 10 years ago. You might want to check it out. It is often used as Phd topics in Universities in Germany. The hero of the novel is a boxer, mathematician and philosopher.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 7:07 am
That Mike Tyson quote peaked my interest. I did a search for it on Google wanting to know why the legend Iron Mike thinks that people shouldn't read that "Tolstoy crap" and the only thing that he said in that regard was that it's for "nerds" and is of no help to anybody in the real world. At first I thought that it was just a case of a combat sport meathead -- albeit a very nice and well-spoken one -- being unable to appreciate the classical literature of the world, but understanding that Iron Mike isn't a dumbass and that many of the so-called classics are indeed overrated, I decided to look into Tolstoy a bit more.

Now I would like to clarify that I've never read Tolstoy or much of the Russian side and when I said "brilliant works of literature" I was simply referring to works which many intellectuals hold in high esteem for their supposed depth and literary brilliance. I've mostly read German philosophy and Hispanic literature. Anyway, I cannot comment on the style of writing because I'm not fluent in Russian, but even a brief investigation of Tolstoy's writing soon revealed to me that it mostly consists of Jewdeo-Christian anarchist and pacifist claptrap centered on the ethical teachings of Jesus and aimed at asceticism and nonviolent resistance. He was an ardent champion of the slavish "turn the other cheek" mandate. No wonder his works have been so promoted. Iron Mike was right! Tolstoy's work really is crap which people shouldn't read. I know that I'll not be reading anything that Tolstoy wrote!

A brief look at the Russian literature from that time widely regarded as "classical" reveals that too much of it suffers from the pernicious influence of the Jewish hoax slave religion and its miserable slave morality which only seeks to inject weakness and servility into the souls of otherwise healthy Gentile individuals. Such spiritual degeneracy has infected all of European society. Maybe this is the reason why you have never been able to admire any classical European literature and instinctively prefer the classics and philosophy of Asia which are free from the Jewdeo-Christian perversion.
Yeah, I have Iron Mike's biography but haven't read it yet, but he's definitely an interesting original thinker for sure, not just a meat-head. LOL.
Nietzsche was the one he was really into:

Bonus ear-biting pic:
Lucas88 wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 7:07 am
I think that we need to start a thread on world literature where we can discuss whether particular works regarded as "classics" really do have merit or whether they are vastly overrated or just outright claptrap posing as something "deep".
That sounds like a good idea. By coincidence last night before seeing your post here this morning, I bought a new haul of Arthur Waley translations of classical Chinese (and a few Japanese) books.

I appreciate @Winston 's deep thoughts on a great many subjects, but based on some of his generalizations in his Taiwan bashing articles (LOL) where he critiques an "Asian" mentality overall (as opposed to just his issues with contemporary Taiwanese), I think he's missed out on some of the incredible depth of actual ancient Chinese tradition, so I was going to put in a good word for the ancient Chinese philosophical schools which I think have some of the ancient world's greatest thinkers. Also for the great ancient Chinese novels, which are incredibly entertaining and easy to read, unlike some of the more verbose Western literature. Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Water Margin are probably the most famous Chinese classic novels, but there's more, including the erotic novels that were much later dramatized into classic Hong Kong category III films like Sex and Zen, LOL. :mrgreen:

I started leafing through my old copy of "Three Ways of Thought in Ancient China" by Waley last night, and realized I did not have his own translation of the Analects of Confucius either, so I bought one and a bunch more of his translations. I believe Waley was mostly self-taught and motivated by passion, like me, rather than working through academia...
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 8:49 am
Yeah, I have Iron Mike's biography but haven't read it yet, but he's definitely an interesting original thinker for sure, not just a meat-head. LOL.
Nietzsche was the one he was really into:
Nietzsche is my favorite modern philosopher too. I have some of his more famous books such as Beyond Good and Evil and The Anti-Christ translated into Spanish. Nietzsche is one of the few interesting modern philosophers. While everybody else in recent Western philosophical tradition attempts to reformulate the same Judeo-poisoned slave morality of old à la Kant or otherwise pushes some variation of the same Marxist claptrap or some postmodern drivel, Nietzsche identifies the Will to Power as reality's most fundamental driving force and advocates a strong aristocratic ethos as an antidote to the weak and life-denying Slave Morality which has took hold of much of European civilization. He sets as the loftiest goal a process of self-overcoming and the creation of the Superman as a higher form of man. Nietzsche's philosophy resonated with my soul from the beginning. Deep down I always had such aristocratic instincts which included a desire for the forging of myself into something greater and an indomitable independence of thought but these often came into conflict with the conformist and slavish ideals of modern liberal thought and Judeo-Christianity which surrounded me. Reading Nietzsche allowed me to definitively reject such weak stultifying values. It was an experience of liberation.

I see Nietzsche as similar to myself in some ways. He was a misfit with aristocratic instincts and the ability of free thought in a moralistic and spiritually decadent Germanic society which he loathed. Like myself, Nietzsche despised his country of origin and its culture and instead admired the Mediterranean world. Even though he was an excellent writer in the German language up there with Goethe he also spoke French and Italian and considered them superior to German just as I consider Spanish superior to English. Nietzsche even lived the HappierAbroad lifestyle residing in Italy, France and Switzerland for extended periods of time.

For all his great lucidity Nietzsche was never fully redpilled on the JQ though. He saw the Jews as simply a downtrodden people doing their best to survive in a hostile world and therefore denounced antisemitism. He was unable to identify the greater conspiracy. I've always wondered why this was the case. Was Nietzsche simply out of touch with the reality of the common man of that time? That's a possibility since Nietzsche lived an isolated life and was shielded from the real world for much of his adult life and often seemed clueless about practical affairs.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Btw I like Spanish people alot but the lisp sounds in their language is a nogo. There Latinamerica does a good job. I heard that south Spain dropped the lisp. Maybe the arabic invaders got rid of it.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Russian is quickly becoming my second favorite language behind my beloved Spanish. It is such a brilliant language with great depth of expression, an almost mystical sound when sung by a female vocalist, unbelievable power in its words and rich grammatical structures. Moreover, it is spoken across a vast territory of fascinating lands from the Baltic to the Caucasus and then through Siberia and Central Asia and all the way to Vladivostok and has a high chic factor for many on par with French or an East Asian language such as Japanese (although I personally believe that Russian is cooler than both of these languages).

Here is a modern version of the Red Army Chorus song Polyushko-Polye by female singer Origa:

The Russian vocals just sound heavenly. Power overflows from all of the words and I can feel it even more so now that I have some basic vocabulary. The language also has a certain feeling of gravitas that few other languages can replicate.

Yes, the original version of this song was written by a commie in the 1930s, but much of the USSR's music, unlike its ugly artistic style of socialist realism, was actually very good since it had its roots in pre-revolution folk styles.

Another version of the Russian national anthem sung by Anastasiya Perhun:

What a beautiful language. What pride and patriotism. I'm not even into White women but Russian women are clearly more attractive than their Western counterparts.

Михей - Туда

I nice little song set to some anime. I agree with the first word in the video description: красота - beauty. This song, as well as being pleasant and of high vibration, showcases both beautiful male and female vocals, although the female ones are obvious the nicer of the two. :D
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

I think Lucas you are lying to yourself if you think Russian is beautiful. No way. I have to go full Taiwan on you Winston style :mrgreen:

That language is a joke. If it would be half decent even on Germany's level it would culturally dominate Europe but it is so not almost nobody wants to learn it in spite of their perfect looking girls.

Check out this word in one song from the song Ya Soshla S Uma.
'Vyklyuchaestsya' I mean what the hell is that? It is a a train wreck :mrgreen:

Anyway there are few songs that I can enjoy in spite of the language.

Jsport
Freshman Poster

Post by Jsport »

Lucas88

You articulate the differences between the two languages very well. And I agree with a lot with what you say about Spanish, but the thing about our differences on how we see Spanish has more to do with different upbringings. Spanish is my second language American English is my first language since I'm Paraguayan American born and raised in the US. The way I see Spanish is very different from the way you see Spanish because I was basically born into the language just like American English, so I understand more of the social nuances of Spanish culture and language than a non native speaker understands it. Just like how you would understand more of the social nuances of British English and culture than a person who wasn't born and raised in the UK.

I personally like and relate to British culture specifically English culture, mainly because I grew up with Football Soccer as my main sport, and I also like British humour and British music. I've also always been intrigued by the Passionate Football culture of England and Scotland, which kind of reminds me of the Futbol environment that I grew up in as a Paraguayan American. I guess the environment and culture that I grew up in has sort of a British English element to it. But you view British English and British culture in a much more negative way because you actually grew up there. Just like how you notice negative traits of British English, I notice negative traits of Spanish and American English as well because that's what I grew up with.

But I do agree with you when you say that you can make clear explanations in Spanish even more so than in English, from a grammar standpoint that is true, but the tone in Spanish can become too passionate and dramatic when you want to make a normal comment to someone. That is why normal conversations in Spanish can often turn into extreme laughter or big arguments because of the misinterpretations in tone that often occurs in Spanish conversations, and because of the Passionate and emotional nature of the language. Whereas in English, the tone of a regular conversation often stays normal and does not often get out hand like in Spanish. And I also find English to be a simpler language for me to speak than Spanish, but both languages are respectable yet flawed nonetheless.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Jsport wrote:
August 13th, 2022, 8:27 pm
You articulate the differences between the two languages very well. And I agree with a lot with what you say about Spanish, but the thing about our differences on how we see Spanish has more to do with different upbringings. Spanish is my second language American English is my first language since I'm Paraguayan American born and raised in the US. The way I see Spanish is very different from the way you see Spanish because I was basically born into the language just like American English, so I understand more of the social nuances of Spanish culture and language than a non native speaker understands it. Just like how you would understand more of the social nuances of British English and culture than a person who wasn't born and raised in the UK.
Ability to understand the social nuances of a language or culture isn't fixed by birth or upbringing. Rather it is a skill which can be learned through experience and is also subject to other factors such as one's own level of adaptability as well as willingness to learn. Some native speakers like to claim special status and believe that no foreigner could ever grasp the nuances of their language like they can (this is especially common among more insular populations such as the Japanese) yet at the same time it is not too uncommon to find a long-term foreign resident who has as great an understanding of the language as a native speaker or sometimes on rare occasions even better. Some people who learned a foreign language in early adulthood have spent more than half of their life living in a foreign country and using their L2 as their primary means of communication and have developed a deep understanding of the language's social nuances through constant immersion. Some people are also simply more innately gifted at adapting than others. So I don't believe that your argument that the non-native speaker will always have a lower understanding of linguistic and social nuances is a particularly solid one despite it being "conventional wisdom". There are plenty of cases in the real world which defy this notion.

I might have a greater understanding of the social nuances of British English and culture in theory but not in practice. You could ask my why British people act a certain way and I would probably be able to give you a somewhat accurate theoretical explanation like an objective scholar who observes from afar, but in practical terms I simply cannot connect with most British people or integrate into their social circles. I'm just not suited to their style of communication or social nuances on an individual level. I was always a complete misfit in the UK and hated everything about the country and its people (I'd even go as far as to say that I'm "racist" against British people). All I ever wanted to do was leave. Even to this day I avoid British people like the plague (barring a handful of family members and my childhood friend @Pixel--Dude, of course).

I've spoken Spanish for about half of my life now and have had a much much easier time integrating with my Latin American friends and learning/adapting to the social nuances of their language and culture. I always have extremely fruitful conversations with my Hispanophone friends and girlfriends. They find me funny as hell and I get their humor too even though I suck at humor with British people. My Peruvian ex-girlfriend names me as her favorite conversation partner even to this day. I also think that I experience less instances of serious misunderstandings with my Hispanophone contacts than I do with weird-ass limeys who I usually can't stand anyway. Yeah, I'm not the typical gringo L2 speaker with his "Buenooos nocheeys, yo querer una burritoooo, por favor" level Spanish. :lol:

I know that many foreigners study English and some of them even admire British English but, as the saying goes, one man's meat is another man's poison. If British English is some people's meat then I'm happily a vegetarian! :D
Jsport wrote:
August 13th, 2022, 8:27 pm
but the tone in Spanish can become too passionate and dramatic when you want to make a normal comment to someone. That is why normal conversations in Spanish can often turn into extreme laughter or big arguments because of the misinterpretations in tone that often occurs in Spanish conversations, and because of the Passionate and emotional nature of the language.
I agree that Spanish is extremely passionate as I wrote in my earlier post but I'm not convinced that it's a flaw or problem. I've never heard any other Spanish speaker complain about this and all of my Hispanic friends communicate fine in their own language. Maybe the language just doesn't suit your own personality as you've already mentioned or maybe in your case English is your dominant language since you were born and raised in the US. More often than not bilingual speakers display an asymmetrical proficiency in the languages which they grew up speaking. Sometimes they grow to dislike the less privileged language.

Anecdotally I've always found Anglos to be much more uptight and quick to anger over misunderstandings than Hispanophones despite the lower quantities of passion in their speech. In my experience Anglos are generally more antisocial and get pissy over everything.