Let's organize a Meetup (San Diego/Tijuana)

Arrange meetups and get togethers with other Happier Abroad members in your area, or coming to your area.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Falcon wrote:Momopi, I'll give you a cultural and musical tour in Mexico. But I guess you'll be much more qualified to lead a culinary tour than I would. :wink:
I'm sort of a mini-celebrity in Tijuana and am instantly recognized by many locals, especially the musicians by the big Revolution Arch in downtown. Just ask Jester (don't post it on here, it's to protect my identity).
Sure. Culinary tours to TJ have been popular on small scale, though I think wine tours (Baja produces 90% of wine in Mexico) are still relatively underdeveloped. Might be an opportunity for you to look into. The existing operators charge about $200 per head for the tour.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Hotel Ticuan is good place to stay and "chica" friendly (IE no extra charge).

Nice rooms, clean. - http://www.hotelticuan.mx/

I did Mexico City for less than $500 total, three days and R/T ticket.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

djfourmoney wrote:Hotel Ticuan is good place to stay and "chica" friendly (IE no extra charge).

Nice rooms, clean. - http://www.hotelticuan.mx/

I did Mexico City for less than $500 total, three days and R/T ticket.
The location is very close to the other hotel, so that's fine. The price for a single room is 1000 pesos (about $77), so it's more expensive. Either is fine with me. Let's get other opinions.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Hey guys! I've been keeping up with this thread.

Unfortunately, you guys are planning to go the week before I leave for the Philippines. So no way I could do this too.

But if you guys plan something in the future, I'll be down for sure!
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

fschmidt wrote:Anyone want to organize other activities before or after this weekend for those who can extend the trip?
Jester? I would like to plan my trip. If there are extra activities after, I may just buy a one-way there to leave the return open.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

For those arriving on Friday I propose we meet at the border on the US side at 5pm. If anyone wants to meet earlier please let me know.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

drealm wrote:Okay I propose a new date: 6/20.

Winston can you do 6/20? How about everyone else?
I'm still not sure. I'm at the end of my tour now in New Mexico and heading back west. But I'm going to stop in Phoenix and then go to a Buddhist meditation center after that. I can't say exactly when I'll be back. But even when I do, I might feel too exhausted to drive down to Tijuana. So it's hard to say. For now, just pick the date that's best for all of you and I'll see if I can make it.

I wonder if Phoenix might have been a better meeting point, since it's closer for fschmidt and he could even drive there.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

djfourmoney wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Jester, I can't make this gathering because I'll be in Europe, but you've gotten me interested in Ensenada real estate. What are the odds you'll still be there around this time next year?
If we can set it up, maybe you can attend via Skype?
That's a good idea. For those of us who can't make it, maybe we can all do a group conference by Skype, so we can all get acquainted as real people, rather than just on a forum? It would be the next best thing.

How many people can be on a Skype conference at the same time?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:
fschmidt wrote:Anyone want to organize other activities before or after this weekend for those who can extend the trip?
Jester? I would like to plan my trip. If there are extra activities after, I may just buy a one-way there to leave the return open.
I could take three or four of you guys down the coast early Sunday morning and get you back to TJ airport Sunday evening. We could see
---the beautiful gringo-friendly high-rises on the beach (doesnt have to be that far south)
---the Ensenada real estate tour I mentioned earlier
---a sample Spanish language class
---Just south of Ensenada, the Bufadora peninsula, famous tourist site and blowhole, great views and hiking

I would need to know interests in advance since some stuff will not just let us in on the spur of the moment.

If someone could stay longer, I could offer:
---ocean swim and barbecue at my place on the beach
---although I don't really know how to fish, there are fishing boats in Ensenada and I am sure I could find a skipper who would take on newbies
---poking around town to see how different classes live

Also of those coming who speaks at least a halting Spanish, and who doesn't? This affects who I might try to bring you around.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

I picked my flight times. I'll be flying back home from San Diego airport on Sunday at 9:00pm. So I probably need 3 hours to get from Tijuana hotel to airport, putting my cutoff time at 6pm. You guys can still do this but I may not be able to join you if too late.

I don't speak any Spanish.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Does anyone know Tijuana ... aside from La Zona Rosa?

:wink:

FSchmidt I'll PM you contact info.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Wish we were hearing from RoyalDude, AIM (or is it AmericanInMexico?), Mr. Peabody. My impression is that they know Mexico better than most except for FSchmidt, and of course Falcon.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Winston wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Jester, I can't make this gathering because I'll be in Europe, but you've gotten me interested in Ensenada real estate. What are the odds you'll still be there around this time next year?
If we can set it up, maybe you can attend via Skype?
That's a good idea. For those of us who can't make it, maybe we can all do a group conference by Skype, so we can all get acquainted as real people, rather than just on a forum? It would be the next best thing.

How many people can be on a Skype conference at the same time?
I think its up to six people. But I Google +/Hangout might be better. It has internal switching via mic/voice/noise detection and I don't know what the limit is, but it's more than six.

Isn't HA on Google+?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I spoke to Jester and he prefers Hotel Ticuan over Hotel La Villa de Zaragoza because Hotel Ticuan has a lobby. If no one objects in 24 hours, we will stay at Hotel Ticuan.

We currently have me, drealm, Jester, djfourmoney, and hornyabc coming. If anyone else wants to come, please post here or contact me.

For those coming, please let me know where you are coming from, when you will leave, and when you expect to arrive at the border. Do you prefer meeting at border or meeting at the hotel in Mexico? I will PM djfourmoney and hornyabc with this question.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

fschmidt wrote:I spoke to Jester and he prefers Hotel Ticuan over Hotel La Villa de Zaragoza because Hotel Ticuan has a lobby. If no one objects in 24 hours, we will stay at Hotel Ticuan.

We currently have me, drealm, Jester, djfourmoney, and hornyabc coming. If anyone else wants to come, please post here or contact me.

For those coming, please let me know where you are coming from, when you will leave, and when you expect to arrive at the border. Do you prefer meeting at border or meeting at the hotel in Mexico? I will PM djfourmoney and hornyabc with this question.
Hotel Ticuan is fine for me.

Coming from Bay area. I'm leaving from OAK airport at 12:30. Plan to arrive at border 5pm. Border is preferable to me.

I'm open to meeting elsewhere if needed. My plane arrives in SAN airport at 2:00pm.