Renting a Motorcycle in Cebu

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Renting a Motorcycle in Cebu

Post by ComingSoon »

Is it a bad idea to rent a motorcycle to travel around the whole island of Cebu?

I thought about traveling from town to town over a couple of weeks. Any real problems I should know about?
Or anyone ever done this?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Renting a Motorcycle in Cebu

Post by Taco »

Its a bad idea to drive if your a first timer. Keep in mind no one in the Philippines knows how to drive. You'll come close to death everyday. Public transportation in Cebu is safe, cheap and efficient.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Post by ComingSoon »

Thanks for your reply Taco. I have been to Cebu before and am familiar with the absurd driving conditions. I Know bohol is not Cebu but I did rent a bike on Bohol and did inch my way around Tagbilaran and all over Bohol as well. My thought was not to use the bike for transportation in Cebu but to travel around the surrounding cities. Maybe circle the whole island on the coast for a few days and stop anytime I want in someplace I find interesting. As on Bohol I would not be in a hurry but drive with extreme care. And as I said not travel around Cebu on a bike. With the extra information I provided what cha think?

Anyone else want to weigh in?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

ComingSoon wrote:Thanks for your reply Taco. I have been to Cebu before and am familiar with the absurd driving conditions. I Know bohol is not Cebu but I did rent a bike on Bohol and did inch my way around Tagbilaran and all over Bohol as well. My thought was not to use the bike for transportation in Cebu but to travel around the surrounding cities. Maybe circle the whole island on the coast for a few days and stop anytime I want in someplace I find interesting. As on Bohol I would not be in a hurry but drive with extreme care. And as I said not travel around Cebu on a bike. With the extra information I provided what cha think?

Anyone else want to weigh in?
I weighed in on your other thread. Yes, lots of tourists and expats ride bikes. There is a convenience factor. But as Taco points out there are risks. If you do it, don't get into the Filipino habit of not using a helmet.

The other side of the argument is what Taco said. Within any small city, public transportation is easy and dirt cheap, if not comfortable. Between cities and towns buses are excellent and also cheap. I will be moving to PI next summer and I am sure we will eventually own a vehicle (4 wheel, not 2). But even then I will use public transport; it's just too easy and inexpensive not to use.
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Post by ComingSoon »

Well It is not convenience I am thinking about. Its more the fun factor. A girl on the back and just stopping in any spot that looks interesting. Also just blending in, somewhat, with the local culture. I did it in Bohol and it was fun. As I said I know Bohol is not Cebu and Cebu has much more traffic, although Tagbalaran was total chaos. I only rented the bike one day at a time and returned it each day. When renting for several days and stopping and lodging in a different place each night how great is the chance the bike could get stolen? What are the chances of being ambushed on a small road on the way to a waterfall? A

Am I just being paranoid?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

ComingSoon wrote:Well It is not convenience I am thinking about. Its more the fun factor. A girl on the back and just stopping in any spot that looks interesting. Also just blending in, somewhat, with the local culture. I did it in Bohol and it was fun. As I said I know Bohol is not Cebu and Cebu has much more traffic, although Tagbalaran was total chaos. I only rented the bike one day at a time and returned it each day. When renting for several days and stopping and lodging in a different place each night how great is the chance the bike could get stolen? What are the chances of being ambushed on a small road on the way to a waterfall? A

Am I just being paranoid?
Yes the fun factor would favor a bike over public transport and since you've already done it once you know what Taco was referring to.

You are much more likely to die in an accident than to be ambushed, so I wouldn't worry :)
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

As a serious biker who rides about everyday and everywhere, ja nothing beats the fun and thrill of being on a bike. Even if it is a small Chinese bike.

Just remember, the vast majority of accidents are inexperienced and infrequent riders. So just don't ride faster than your guardian angel. Even for experienced riders your first 15 minutes and last 15 are the most risk. Take it easy till you get the feel of the bike and the environment and you get the instinct. Then you will have the time of your life.
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Post by ComingSoon »

Never heard that before Kradmelder. I can understand the first 15 minutes being the most risk but the last 15 minutes? How is this so?

Im 53 years old and my driving, in a car here in the US, has slowed to a crawl compared to my younger days. When on a bike I am somewhat paranoid so I will certainly take it easy. Thanks guys.
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Post by ComingSoon »

Should I take out some kind of insurance in case the bike gets stolen? Or wrecked I suppose. I guess I am more concerned with theft.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

ComingSoon wrote:Should I take out some kind of insurance in case the bike gets stolen? Or wrecked I suppose. I guess I am more concerned with theft.
As you get close to home or your destination, your attention lapses and you get a false sense of security that you are safe and almost there.

I recall once riding a day of deep sand. Didn't fall once. Got home exhausted and thought phew I made it. I either didn't put the side stand down properly or forgot to put it down and started getting off bike. Next thing I know down I go, smash my head on the paving and thev
bike lands on top of me in my driveway :lol:

One of those embarrassing moments!. Another time get off the bike to turn on the house alarm. There is a slight slope so bike is almost upright on the side stand with motor running. I come back out to see my bike toppling over :lol:
ComingSoon
Freshman Poster

Post by ComingSoon »

Ok that makes more sense now. I remember when I was younger and would drink allot and drive my car home from wherever. As soon as I turned on my dirt road I would say "made it".