In Manila right now, all girls ignoring me, exactly like USA

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Admittedly, this is one sad reality, Filipinos tend to believe that every white is rich, mainly because a lot don’t get the actual value of dollar vs peso. The 1-dollar to 40+ pesos is misleading a lot especially the poor, our one peso can only buy us one candy compared to your one dollar, $1 in peso term that’s a loottt of pesoses so they automatically think every white man/women out there is rich and that if you exchange your money with ours you have a lot to spare.
Oh, well not all white men earn in dollars. In Europe it is Euro, in Russia it is the ruble. I have not made any in more that a decade. I was basically getting paid in riyals and dinars. Before that, in baht and yen.

By the way, one peso is over 200 Indonesian rupiahs. Enough to buy a candy in Indonesia, too.

As far as not inviting a foreigner to dinner because of English or whatever, have you ever thought of the fact that you are in your country and not in his? Why don't you speak to him/her in your language? Like they do in Indonesia or in most other countries around the world. And let him bring a phrasebook and it is his responsibility to adjust. If you do not invite a person because he is a foreigner, then you are practicing racial discrimination- the same thing you complain about when you go abroad. Should we also do the same when you come to our countries? There is a party and you are never invited?

Many foreigners in your country speak worse English than you anyway. Look at Koreans. Or Germans. In their countries, they do not teach in English as they do in your country. If you really insist on speaking English then such phrases as " eat eat, come come, rice, noodles, good food, dance please, where you come from" are known to even kids in the Philippines. You can also use gestures and draw pictures. There are ways to communicate, you know.

Maybe it is also time the people in the Philippines began demanding that foreigners speak Filipino languages and stopped accommodating them too much? I think that after some 60+ years of independence it is about time. The Philippines is a sovereign nation with a national language and as in any nation, the foreigners are the ones who should adjust to the locals and speak it, like anywhere else; not vice versa.

I almost never use English there. And Winston, you should really try and learn Tagalog and you will see how attitude to you changes by magic once people know you can speak it. And if you can speak the local language, it is even better. I had to turn down invitations to parties even here in Pampanga. And I have read lots of books on the Philippine culture and history and learned to crack jokes and sing in Tagalog and in Visaya. That helps a lot.

I was now in Davao and I was speaking Visaya there and you can't believe the magic reaction. The warmth, the friendly attitude just poured forth. They just sit next to you and talk to you and start treating you like a brother. Amazing! Just try it!

The Philippines is not Korea or Japan where speaking the local languages does not earn you points. Here it opens doors.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ladislav, yeah but how many of these friendly Filipinos treated you? Don't they want you to pay for everything no matter what? Don't they only go out to eat with you if you're paying for everything?

When you have a birthday, they expect you to treat them right? And when they have a birthday, they expect you to treat them too right? Either way, they expect you to be the giver and they the receivers, regardless of whose birthday it is. Right?

Filipina, why is that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

C.J. wrote:Yeah, foreigners mostly come to the Philippines for cheap sex, since they can't handle their own country's dating scene and feel an incredible urge to relieve their sexual desires(according to my research, a lot of males seem to lack a lot of male sex energy, which gets drained from them everyday). A sad fact, thanks to the western demonic reality.

It's great to hear about the country though, from a native face. And even after the western treatment you guys gave her, she STILL manages to be very sweet and patient about everything. Seems like the middle/upper class can be very interesting. And she seems like my kind of gal! :D

filipina, I'd really like to ask about a foreigner's chances meeting higher class girls. Maybe some have asked this already, but are there some common outlets(besides the typical western work+friend culture) to meet them?
Yeah well you gotta also take into account that in the Phils, there is nothing else to offer a foreigner other than cheap sex and sweet friendly girls who are even tempered. Everything in other categories is really bad there. I've already written about that in many threads. Yeah well there are nice beaches and rice terraces, but you can find that in many other countries too. So it's nothing unique.

Filipina,
You seem like a really great catch. Why don't you create another blossoms profile or keep the current one and post the link to it here? If do you, then more guys will write you. Isn't the more choices the better? :)
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

ladislav wrote: I almost never use English there. And Winston, you should really try and learn Tagalog and you will see how attitude to you changes by magic once people know you can speak it.

Yes, I'm learning different languages here in the States and it does HELP.

Right now I'm practicing Spanish, Mandarin, Korean and Thai (with Thai being the easiest for me to pick up) and try to practice wherever I see a person who knows the language, and by far I can tell the difference in how I'm treated, so much so the positive feed back motivates me to learn more because it seems as if the more I can speak their language, the more they open up to me and are friendly with me.

It's also just funny to see peoples reactions, say, when you speak to a Korean in Korean and you're not even Korean. The Korean women I spoke to jumped back with a smile and said to me in English, "how did you know how to say that!?"

Anyhow my reasons for learning new language is:

I'm going to need it when I kick off international travel
I want to know what people say when they start talking in another language amongst each other.
Learning new languages is good for your brain
It's impressive and it usually means that you studied other cultures and that you're a well rounded, cultured individual yourself.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

filipina wrote:
Seriously, I have been to Singapore recently, and while like the Philippines, English is one of their official languages I find it hard to communicate English with the taxi drivers and even their tour guides having difficulty pronouncing English. Bottomline is, not because one does not know much of the superfluous, complicated English words let alone use it on a regular speaking basis does not automatically mean his iQ is below average because really acquiring an extensive vocabulary is one of the largest challenges in learning a second language. Filipinos/Filipinas not exempted.
Just FYI, many Taxi drivers in Singapore and other lower class service jobs are usually staffed by recent immigrants to Singapore from the mainland. If you met middle class Singaporeans (most of them) their education level is pretty high and they can definitely write and speak like native level speakers in a business and academic environment if they need to.
Like it or not, it is already a part of us, although I have to disagree with the taker mentality only because the basic concept of it all were geared towards us Filipinos, it has only evolved to include foreigners who, in one way or another become a part of us already. You can’t understand because you don’t grow up as one of us same with I can’t understand the addiction of your people to Binlang.
:lol:
I've heard Thais say things like this too and I don't buy it. Mainly because i've observed taker behavior in all SEA nationalities. I wouldn't call it "generosity" or "inclusiveness" but more of a sense of opportunism and self entitlement. Most SEA people are not what I would call proactive but reactive towards things around them. This means they are generally not ambitious or possessing the foresight to plan ahead but they will definitely jump on opportunities that come by. This lack of ambition and apathy is mainly due to the rigid class systems and huge wealth divide in Southeast Asia. It's difficult for Filipinos and other SEA to get ahead in their own society so they will turn towards petty opportunism to make life a little easier. That's where that whole "crab mentality" came about. It's a real thing just look it up especially in regards to Filipinos.

This means if a foreigner with money comes around they will try to take advantage of that because the opportunity is there presenting itself. It's typical small time "nickle and dime" the foreigner behavior.
A typical Filipino Family has one or more relative working abroad. Remittances sent by OFWs contribute to our country's economy, that’s why we call them modern heroes of our lives. There are about 11 million overseas Filipinos estimated count worldwide or about 11% of our total population working and providing for their families back here. Why? Because we are poor and we want to uplift the standard of living for our dear ones and this is because we have this so-called...Ahhh ... mmmm...how do you call this...
tadang! uhhhm.. giver mentality? :P
Yeah but you're ignoring that the takers far outweigh the givers. This is especially true if a person takes a deeper look into Filipino family dynamics and discover that there's a lot of dead weight and lazy relatives living off the productive members of the household. I have Filipino expat friends here in Thailand and I know of one in particular who has worked in Thailand for 10 years and makes a salary comparable with a white western teacher. He has one brother who dropped out of school but expects remittances from him. A father who is relatively young (50's) still but doesn't do anything at all except stay at home and watch T.V. A sister who wants to study at a good school for middle class people and expects him to pay for everything including her lifestyle. The only person in that family who has a somewhat legitimate need is his sister. The other relatives are just in it for the free ride. I have seen and heard of this a LOT with Filipino expats working abroad. They can complain about these things to foreigners and not other Filipinos when abroad.

Another thing also is you look like a Filipino-Chinese. Fil-Chinese here at times are worst than AW. They are known to be rich but the most stingiest creatures in the Philippines, Fil-Chinese don't let their sons marry an average filipinas.
Chinese (and other NE Asian) culture at its root is pretty much the opposite of SEA culture when it comes to productivity, discipline, and education. I'd say this is true for most middle class western cultural values that come from developed western countries too. NE Asian culture plans ahead and invests wisely. There's an emphasis on work and sacrifice. Family members are expected to pull their own weight. This is why ethnic Chinese have been so successful all around SE Asia. Aside from the ultra wealthy tycoons, the largest proportion of the middle class in SEA is made up of ethnic Chinese. About 50% of the Filipino-Americans I knew in the U.S. were of ethnic Chinese descent. There's a huge difference in the mentality. You might call it "stinginess" but it is practical and it is also the reason why most Chinese immigrants and their children have also done well in the U.S.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Repatriate wrote:
filipina wrote:
Seriously, I have been to Singapore recently, and while like the Philippines, English is one of their official languages I find it hard to communicate English with the taxi drivers and even their tour guides having difficulty pronouncing English. Bottomline is, not because one does not know much of the superfluous, complicated English words let alone use it on a regular speaking basis does not automatically mean his iQ is below average because really acquiring an extensive vocabulary is one of the largest challenges in learning a second language. Filipinos/Filipinas not exempted.
Just FYI, many Taxi drivers in Singapore and other lower class service jobs are usually staffed by recent immigrants to Singapore from the mainland. If you met middle class Singaporeans (most of them) their education level is pretty high and they can definitely write and speak like native level speakers in a business and academic environment if they need to.
Like it or not, it is already a part of us, although I have to disagree with the taker mentality only because the basic concept of it all were geared towards us Filipinos, it has only evolved to include foreigners who, in one way or another become a part of us already. You can’t understand because you don’t grow up as one of us same with I can’t understand the addiction of your people to Binlang.
:lol:
I've heard Thais say things like this too and I don't buy it. Mainly because i've observed taker behavior in all SEA nationalities. I wouldn't call it "generosity" or "inclusiveness" but more of a sense of opportunism and self entitlement. Most SEA people are not what I would call proactive but reactive towards things around them. This means they are generally not ambitious or possessing the foresight to plan ahead but they will definitely jump on opportunities that come by. This lack of ambition and apathy is mainly due to the rigid class systems and huge wealth divide in Southeast Asia. It's difficult for Filipinos and other SEA to get ahead in their own society so they will turn towards petty opportunism to make life a little easier. That's where that whole "crab mentality" came about. It's a real thing just look it up especially in regards to Filipinos.

This means if a foreigner with money comes around they will try to take advantage of that because the opportunity is there presenting itself. It's typical small time "nickle and dime" the foreigner behavior.
A typical Filipino Family has one or more relative working abroad. Remittances sent by OFWs contribute to our country's economy, that’s why we call them modern heroes of our lives. There are about 11 million overseas Filipinos estimated count worldwide or about 11% of our total population working and providing for their families back here. Why? Because we are poor and we want to uplift the standard of living for our dear ones and this is because we have this so-called...Ahhh ... mmmm...how do you call this...
tadang! uhhhm.. giver mentality? :P
Yeah but you're ignoring that the takers far outweigh the givers. This is especially true if a person takes a deeper look into Filipino family dynamics and discover that there's a lot of dead weight and lazy relatives living off the productive members of the household. I have Filipino expat friends here in Thailand and I know of one in particular who has worked in Thailand for 10 years and makes a salary comparable with a white western teacher. He has one brother who dropped out of school but expects remittances from him. A father who is relatively young (50's) still but doesn't do anything at all except stay at home and watch T.V. A sister who wants to study at a good school for middle class people and expects him to pay for everything including her lifestyle. The only person in that family who has a somewhat legitimate need is his sister. The other relatives are just in it for the free ride. I have seen and heard of this a LOT with Filipino expats working abroad. They can complain about these things to foreigners and not other Filipinos when abroad.

Another thing also is you look like a Filipino-Chinese. Fil-Chinese here at times are worst than AW. They are known to be rich but the most stingiest creatures in the Philippines, Fil-Chinese don't let their sons marry an average filipinas.
Chinese (and other NE Asian) culture at its root is pretty much the opposite of SEA culture when it comes to productivity, discipline, and education. I'd say this is true for most middle class western cultural values that come from developed western countries too. NE Asian culture plans ahead and invests wisely. There's an emphasis on work and sacrifice. Family members are expected to pull their own weight. This is why ethnic Chinese have been so successful all around SE Asia. Aside from the ultra wealthy tycoons, the largest proportion of the middle class in SEA is made up of ethnic Chinese. About 50% of the Filipino-Americans I knew in the U.S. were of ethnic Chinese descent. There's a huge difference in the mentality. You might call it "stinginess" but it is practical and it is also the reason why most Chinese immigrants and their children have also done well in the U.S.
1. I've met several Singaporeans who spoke English better than any other language. An American just has to adjust to their style of speaking, just as we do for English, Scots, Aussies, South Africans, or even Indians fluent in English. On the other hand, some of those English speaking Singaporeans I met spoke only intermediate Mandarin. I even had to act as a translator for one of them when he visited some companies in Taiwan. In general, I think ethnic Chinese Singaporeans who grow up there are strong in both Mandarin and English. But those who attend Chinese schools will probably favor Mandarin over English and vice-versa.

2. As long as indigenous SE Asian populations largely behave this way - passive opportunistic nickle-and-dime takers - they will probably continue to be used and exploited by other groups such as Chinese, the tiny rich class, Indians, other NE Asians, and even westerners. The system is self perpetuating. But if they ever managed to break-out of this cycle, I would imagine that a huge number of resident expats would be very disappointed, Winston included. The easy girls would become hard to get and the cheap ones expensive.

3. When I meet locals who make lame excuses for 'taker behavior', I just don't get-it. In this regard, I pretty much see eye-to-eye with Winston. Old fashioned Midwest values happen to be much more closely aligned with the traditional NE Asian work ethic and prudent spending and investing habits. I figure the only way these SE Asian types will ever get anywhere financially is if they score an affluent sucker, most likely a dumb-ass American/German/Brit/etc., and marry into his assets.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote: 2. As long as indigenous SE Asian populations largely behave this way - passive opportunistic nickle-and-dime takers - they will probably continue to be used and exploited by other groups such as Chinese, the tiny rich class, Indians, other NE Asians, and even westerners. The system is self perpetuating. But if they ever managed to break-out of this cycle, I would imagine that a huge number of resident expats would be very disappointed, Winston included. The easy girls would become hard to get and the cheap ones expensive.
It will probably get worse rather than better. I see Thailand in particular heading more towards Philippines/Indonesia like stagnation. This is especially true with all the self sabotage that goes on with the man made floods, political chaos, etc.. In more ways than one SEA has been fortunate to ride the emerging markets wave led mostly by China but I think in the future this dynamic will change greatly.

In addition:

-Quality of education has been deteriorating.
-Oligarch run industries.
-Class hierarchies.
-Massive corruption and culturally enforced ignorance.
3. When I meet locals who make lame excuses for 'taker behavior', I just don't get-it. In this regard, I pretty much see eye-to-eye with Winston. Old fashioned Midwest values happen to be much more closely aligned with the traditional NE Asian work ethic and prudent spending and investing habits. I figure the only way these SE Asian types will ever get anywhere financially is if they score an affluent sucker, most likely a dumb-a
ss American/German/Brit/etc., and marry into his assets.
It's like how Thai people like to claim that a person who is being generous or open with their money as "jai dee" (good hearted) to others. It's bogus though. Even the true rich and affluent in Thailand know how to play off this lower class mentality about good will. One of the biggest charities in Thailand takes donations made by regular Thai folk and then "redonates" it to public works projects then takes sole credit for it. Not a single baht is really expended by the rich but there is plenty of face to be gained from it. I won't mention which charity this is for obvious legal reasons but i'm sure you know which one i'm talking about.

I've heard similar things happen in the Philippines as well. The wealthy and middle class understand how things work. Foreigners who walk into the situation are led to believe giving away their money is how it's done. They are praised for it. Few will inform them of what's going on because to do so would mean a face loss to everyone involved to the scammers, the mark, the informer, and the nation as a whole.

There really are plenty of suckers though. Just look at all the Isaan villages built by foreign men. Nothing justifies the sort of financial burden that is being taken on there.

To people reading this who aren't familiar with how SEA culture works..just remember face does not coincide with practicality. The face concept is universal even throughout the western world but in SEA it's all outward appearances. There is little in the way of substance or straight forwardness to anything. There's a thin veneer of fakeness to everything from the smiles, the lifestyle, and the cultural traits. A lot of people don't understand this sort of duplicity because it's completely alien to their native environment.
filipina
Freshman Poster

Post by filipina »

Hi All,

I am trying to read everyone’s post from my last reply and it seems as though I have a lot of things to answer and quite frankly I am beginning to think that my hitting the reply button here was a careless bad move for me. I really feel like I am throwing myself to a school of piranha..hehe I would love to answer every single post addressed to me but I am very sick right now and my mother would kill me with her sermon if she sees me out of my bed.

I am sorry if my previous post made some of you raised your eyebrows towards me, I am in no way questioning the Singaporeans about their capability to speak English. Winston had it said several times that he did not hear words like “hypothetically� and “theoretically� spoken on our streets further implying that knowledge of such signifies great intelligence. I was merely giving an example that even other countries which have English as their second language have some amount of difficulty on it. I hope you won’t take my words out of context. Thank you. And yes, I am referring to a real Singaporean taxi driver, he’s old though.

A lot of negativities have been said about the Philippines and admittedly majority of those are true, you can turn a beautiful tradition such as “pasalubong� to a taker, opportunistic behaviour of Filipinos etc., I don’t want to argue because I respect your opinions and how you see us. Yes, you can call us opportunistic, lazy, the taker far outweighs the giver etc. etc. but like any other country no one’s perfect, I respect your opinion but I refuse to believe all Filipinos are what you think we are. Your list of complaints about us can reach the heavens if we are to stipulate it one by one but let me ask you this, if you think American women as bitchy, spoiled, materialistic, narcissistic etc., do you think you can change them? Because if so, then tell us the formula. @_@

@Ladislav –Winston asked me why the common locals tend to assume that foreigners are rich. We know the exact situation but my poor countrymen do not. They do not usually know the real and nominal value of money. When my cousin gave birth in Singapore I had to bring a Filipina nanny on a tourist visa, she was allowed only 30 days and when it’s about to expire I had to bring her to Indonesia so she could be extended for awhile just in time that my cousin be well enough to take care of her daughter and when I had my Singaporean dollars exchanged to Rupiahs I complaint because there are a lot of zeroes on a note, I overheard her telling the people innocently when we’re back home in Pinas that she dream of working in Indonesia because the money there are hundreds and thousands and that it’s easy to be a millionaire in Indonesia.

We don’t ask foreigners to speak our language but we would be happy if they will it but it has to be by their own move, they have to do the first move because we find it rude to ask our guests to adjust for us. I don’t know why this is the case but this is what I have come to grew up with. Foreigners like you are the one that Filipinos appreciate and feel comfortable with, the one that can show genuine appreciation no matter how tainted with negativities our country has

@C.J. - sad to say we are not abundant anywhere, some would be at: Singles Church Groups, gym, civic organizations, charitable organizations, church, malls, self-help seminars, beaches, park, facebook (lol at this one but this is largely the common ground for rich, middle and upper class Filipinas :D).

@ Winston – Of all your questions, observations, rants etc.. etc..your list of complaints can go forever and ever BUT why not apply the basic concept of HA with you right now? Your GO ABROAD make it GO OUT of Angeles instead. Try another place and another society, one that is not surrounded with cheap Filipinas. Let me quote this from your HA. "The first step towards getting somewhere... is deciding you are not going to stay where you are.�

I will try to answer your very long questions when I have time and when I’m well enough, for now I’m going to pause and not to go for a battle with you my defense mechanism is out of order right now..haha :P

As for my CB profile I am no longer checking it and I am already having second thoughts, I have 3 spinster Aunt and they are happy so I guess single blessedness is not something to be scared of ..hehe
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

S_Corwin wrote:
Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:
chanta76 wrote: What gives? So what if Russian girls are approachable but they do not take you serious. It's like you are implying that they have a fake friendliness to you.
Excellent point. Winston, why make such a big deal about approachability if it just boils down to 'fake friendliness'?

I think the bulk of guys here are interested in foreign girls they can interact with physically, not just smiles and talkin. We need to find some regular looking Asian guys who've explored the corners of FUS with significant 'oriental' populations and find out whether or not they were able to do any better with women than you were.
I already told you before, I love getting attention from them. It's like a drug I'm addicted to. Even if they're not into me, at least they are giving me the time of day, and a chance to romance or court them. Plus I live for variety, and meeting different girls everyday satisfies that desire. Do you understand now? I've explained this to you many times.

I think the reason guys keep asking you questions like this is that your idea of "success" with women (such as it is) is so completely alien to theirs -- almost like it's from another planet -- that one can't help asking out of astonishment and confusion, especially when you have so little to show for it. Honestly Winston, you're nuts if you think just getting "the time of day" from women is even close to enough for most guys looking for romance.
That's because you can't understand me. I thrive on attention. The Russians are also pretty warm, socially at least. I got to take a lot of pics with them, and make out and french kiss with them too. My collage proves that. I also liked the culture and awesome museums there too. You don't see the big picture. I thrive on variety, and cheap travel. So I was very stimulated there.

Your field of vision is very narrow. Not broad at all.

You would make the worst mental health counselor.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Filipina,
Well I hope you get well and are able to participate here again. You are certainly refreshing and everyone here appreciates you.

Why won't your mom let you be on the forum?

Do Filipino Americans ever complain about the things I do when they visit the Phils?

Btw, I showed our exchange to a former crisis counselor. Here is what he said:

"Hey Winston,

I've actually met dozens of Pinays with this girl's level of intelligence or higher. Of course, I've met thousands of them so admittedly in proportion to the less educated Pinays they seem to be much fewer. I think the girl is right, though, in that intelligence is often hard to gauge based on communication in English because only a small number of Pinays are going to possess the English skills of a well-educated American. Jose Rizal, the country's national hero, wrote and apparently spoke in very fluent Spanish, the language of his colonial oppressors. In many African lands, some people would deliberately learn the language of their colonial rulers and would speak/write it better than all but the most fluent of native speakers--this was their way, often, of showing disdain for their oppressors.

These educated women are fun to find and talk to but I have found them very hard to woo and have only met one that has fallen in love with me. Most have the same unrealistic standards of the average highly-educated American woman and are just as perplexing and difficult when it comes down to choosing a mate. Most seem to have very high standards (or at least claim to) and age usually is a big factor to them (they want a man slightly older but usually not over 10 years).

Glad to see you are enjoying your interchange. Hanging around Angeles may warp a person a bit, as from all accounts you will not find many interesting and intelligent Pinays such as this girl there and the mongers are usually reprehensible human beings even if some are intelligent.

Enjoy, and glean what you can from this lady. I would be very interested to know more about the men she dates.

Ingat rin lagi"

My reply:

"Well actually you can tell how intelligent someone is without speaking their language, and vice versa. You can tell by their eyes, vibe and communication skill.

For example, in Russia people could tell how intelligent I was by my skill in getting my meaning across. When I mentioned Cinderella, I told them in Russian, "beautiful girl until 12 midnight, 3 bad sisters" which made them realize what story they were talking about.

I also used creative ways to get them to understand me, and used pantomimes as well. When I first went to Russia, and asked for an ATM machine, I used sounds and movements to show what an ATM was. I made the ATM sounds and took out some cash to show how I got it out of the machine, etc. That worked. Intelligent people know how to get their points across in some way. I also used drawings as well.

The way I TRY to communicate says a lot. If you look like a clueless dope with no opinion or thought, then the language doesn't matter. Their expression and eyes give it away. You can learn a lot about them from seeing their eyes.

This is very obvious, yet most people don't realize it. I don't know why.

Didn't you know that?"

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Regarding my claims about communication skills and intelligence, my crisis counselor friend had this to say:

"Hey Winston,

I am actually very aware of what you are talking about because I live in a designated "refugee" city and we have people here from all over the world and when I was working I saw many people from many countries who could speak no English and often it was impossible to obtain a native interpreter and even if we could obtain a native speaker most of the interpreters were not professional interpreters and could not convey many of the nuances of the speaker. So I was often put in the position of having to assess the person more from their body actions, facial expressions and through some communication with them via pantomime just as you had to do with the Russians. So, actually, I understand quite well what you are talking about. I also agree about the looks/eyes of a person, as one can stroll into any small town and spend a day and quickly pick out the smarter people and the village idiot just by observation.

You have spent a lot of time on the ground in Phils. and have had the chance to observe MANY people. Since you are highly percipient and observant and have held conversations with many Pinoys, you are able to pick up on traits like intelligence or lack thereof and intellectuality much quicker than the average person.

My only point is that I have met a fair number of Pinays like this girl in Mindanao that is now posting on your blog. I have met some that are fairly well-read, know a bit about history and can hold intelligent conversations on a number of topics. Since I am not on the ground there and the brunt of my chats are not on cam, I have to rely a lot on the Pinay's word usage, sense of humor, range of general knowledge, etc., as indications of intelligence. It is always a surprise and delight to me when I do run across a Pinay that shows intelligence because a great many of them do not.

One "trick" I will sometimes use is to have them write me something in Tagalog and then I will send it for translation to one of my brighter Pinay friends. How one uses a language IS an obvious sign of intelligence and in my case it is often the only means of assessment I have at my disposal.

As I said, it is a delight to meet these ladies but I haven't had much luck in wooing them. I am not quite sure of all the factors that have gone into making the country into a "taker" culture but I do hear this theme repeatedly on many forums and message boards. Even one of the very smartest Pinays I know, who graduated first in her class from UST, brags about an aunt who seemed to have a knack for getting rich people to give her things. In American culture this would, of course, not be seen as a positive attribute. What do you think has contributed to this "taker" mentality? It is not common in Vietnam, for example, which is similarly poor, nor have I seen it in other poor nations I have visited. I think in every culture there will always be a cadre of mercenary women who are seeking rich men to better their lives, as this is true even in America, a very rich country.

Hope all goes well for you. Am sorry for your Youtube troubles. I think it is clear that the site probably has targeted you and I wouldn't be surprised if an American woman wasn't behind at least some of the trouble. I think I mentioned to you that in my unsuccessful pursuit of Asian women I have gotten far more stares of disapproval from both black and white women than I ever got while dating black women.

I am still doing research on China and am reading some interesting trip reports. From what I surmise, thus far, there are many places in China where cheap P4P action can be had and local women can also be courted from online. I have read NO trip reports, though, of any man being paid to have sex or being hit on to the degree seen in the Philippines. I have read a few positive reports on Taiwan but they have mainly been from Caucasian men who were living there and felt they had penetrated, so to speak, the hard shell of the females there.

Take care always,"

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Intelligent Pinays also have limitations that many American women have. While Filipinos admittedly travel more than Americans ( mainly for work) the geography studies there are not that great and many, even with MAs do not know where different countries are located or never even heard of them.

Also, the study of science and classics is not that great either. Potentially they are very intelligent but the information that they have in their heads leaves a lot to be desired. I spoke with Filipino guys who were college graduates and who told me that Ukraine was part of the US and when I was talking about the apartheid regime in South Africa, they had no idea about it. One just mentioned Ebola, and that is all he knew about S. Africa. Or Africa in general.

Many professional Filipinos/nas maintain the view that Americans are divided into "pure Americans"- the blonds, and the mixed ones- the non blonds.

But as far as natural wisdom is concerned, it is enhanced by the education they get in the Philippines, without a doubt. Still, carrying on a conversation on any worldly topics including say, Northern Ireland or Socrates, will probably result in questions of the "where/what/who is that" type. It is the result of the dumbified American educational system that was transplanted there.

I kind of expected a college student in the Philippines to know that the capital of the neighboring country of Indonesia was Jakarta but the person had never even heard of it. Sounds familiar?

It would be hard to imagine a German college student that would not know that the capital of the neighboring Poland was Warsaw and that the capital of the neighboring France was Paris.

So, there is plenty of natural intelligence and also, of curiousity. And then there are practical matters such as the major they study. But they do not get a well rounded education. And maybe there is wisdom in that, too.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Winston wrote:Ladislav, yeah but how many of these friendly Filipinos treated you? Don't they want you to pay for everything no matter what? Don't they only go out to eat with you if you're paying for everything?

When you have a birthday, they expect you to treat them right? And when they have a birthday, they expect you to treat them too right? Either way, they expect you to be the giver and they the receivers, regardless of whose birthday it is. Right?

Filipina, why is that?
Well, actually, quite a few have. But they did it when I went to their house. They cooked and gave me food. Also, in professional situations if there is a Filipino boss, he/she will treat all the subordinates. Even the foreigners.