Join John Adams Mon and Wed nights 7:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar!

Share This Page

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       Elegance Theme       Prosilver Theme

I'm back in Vietnam!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Denzelto
Freshman Poster

Re: I'm back in Vietnam!

Post by Denzelto »

The Vietnamese are reserved people. They are not that friendly, at least until you get to know them well. I used to think very well of the apparent ease with which Filipinos talk to you and want to be your friends. Over the years, I have learned to appreciate the humble, nuanced, polite approach of the Vietnamese or even the Thai, and de-preciate the boastful, sticky, over the top and often purely functional (ie. they want something from you) friendliness of the Pinoy.
[/quote]

That is an excellent point about the pinoy approach while being friendly on the surface having motives that are functional as you say. I think almost everyone in the Philippines is willing to ask a western acquaintance for money rather quickly and without much rapport or friendship established while this is considered unthinkable in Vietnam.