Ping' An village, Guilin China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

That area around Guilin is incredibly touristy so there actually might be quite a few young women there working in the service and tourism sector. It's hard to say what it'll really be like until you live there for awhile though.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Hey zboy, I've been to Guilin myself. Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss this more.

By village, do you mean a township (xiang 乡) or administrative village (cun 村)? Usually, several adminstrative villages make up one township.

Guilin is a prefecture, so it contains many counties. It seems like you'll be teaching in a more remote place out in the boondocks that could have some ethnic Yao (Mien).
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

xiongmao wrote:The Guangxi lady I dated was from a minority - the only one I've dated who didn't have Han Chinese on her ID card. She was nice. The downside is that she was the first person in her family to move from being destitute farmer to city girl, and there was a huge cultural gap between us.

When I was in Guangzhou I got loads of teaching offers. You could get the same, but I don't know if you'd be tied into a contract.

The upside is that with few English speakers around you'll really improve on your Mandarin. Although most of the locals won't be speaking it which is always a nuisance. I never really got free listening lessons on buses in Guangzhou because my fellow passengers mostly used Cantonese.

Still, at least there won't be any Starbucks where you're going!!!
Guangzhou people speak alot of the local dialect of Mandarin, and the rest speak alot of Cantonese. Then there is a group of Guangzhou locals, that speak some unique kind of Chinese that is not Mandarin or Cantonese, but that is a fairly small group.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

I forgot another strategy you can possibly employ. If you use online dating, it is possible to get Chinese women to come visit you since you are actually in China. I should have put this in my guide. Some women are willing to come meet you, in your city, whenever they have holiday time. I received a handful of these offers before which was surprising to say the least. Some of them have lots of extra money, air miles, I dunno, but some of them seem to not mind doing that. You would get 100 times more interest than any guy not already in China anyway. It does not need to be your only strategy, just part of THE strategy. A small place where you are going will not have any secrets among the locals. So mind how you date the local women.