How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend?! 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is NOT friendly!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend?! 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is NOT friendly!

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 4:24 am
@Yohan can you check if Taiwan's birthrate is lower than Japan's?
This was the situation about one year ago, article below.

Full list is here:
https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/ ... comparison

Total fertility rate
Total fertility rate (TFR) compares figures for the average number of children that would be born per woman if all women lived to the end of their childbearing years and bore children according to a given fertility rate at each age. TFR is a more direct measure of the level of fertility than the crude birth rate, since it refers to births per woman.

Taiwan is #227 out of 227 countries, the last one on this list. (estimate for 2022)
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... -children/

Among 227 countries and regions surveyed, Taiwan ranks last at 1.07 children per woman, far below the 2.1 replacement rate needed to maintain the population. | REUTERS KYODO

Apr 21, 2021

TAIPEI – Taiwan’s total fertility rate, or births per woman, will be the lowest in the world in 2021, the CIA says in its latest estimation.

Its statistics published online show that among the 227 countries and regions, Taiwan ranks last at 1.07 children per woman, far below the 2.1 replacement rate needed to maintain the population.

The bottom five countries or regions are all in Asia, with estimated fertility rates under 1.23. They are Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan. Japan ranks No. 10 from the bottom with an estimated fertility rate of 1.38

African nations have the highest fertility rates in the world, with Niger in first place at 6.91 children per woman. It was followed by Angola, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mali and Chad.

Total fertility rate compares figures for the average number of children that would be born per woman if all women lived to the end of their childbearing years and bore children according to a given fertility rate at each age.

Taiwan’s declining birthrate spells trouble across the social and economic map, especially as Taiwanese are living significantly longer than in the past, with projections suggesting that by 2025 Taiwan will become a superaged society, with 20% of its population being over 65.
Another article about Taiwan and its population problem.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-13/ ... /101137970
Taiwan is racing to fix its plummeting fertility rate...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend?! 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is NOT friendly!

Post by Winston »

@publicduende

Are you insinuating that Taiwan is the same as most countries outside the Philippines? If so, I strongly disagree, for many good reasons.

1. In my experience, most countries are friendly and open as long as you are not in NE Asia or North America.

2. Like I said, in China everyone is busy too and not many have time to have fun or hang out either. However, the level of enthusiasm from women toward meeting men and new people is between little and moderate. NOT ZERO. Remember? I sent you 1300 photos of me in China in a Google Album to show you what I mean. Remember? Did you look through the album? So there is a difference. It's not the same as Taiwan.

3. You can ask @kangarunner. In Vietnam, strangers chatted him up and made eye contact with him. They didn't totally ignore him or treat him like he didn't exist. And the people who talked to him were not only elderly people and little kids, like I mentioned above about Taiwan. It included mainstream people between 20 and 40, which in Taiwan are super cold and ignore all strangers. How do you explain that? You can ask @kangarunner about this. He has said so.

4. Cambodia was reserved too. But the people there didn't seem cold and stuck up and antisocial like in Taiwan. When I flirt in Cambodia, I didn't feel lke a criminal. And the bar girls there were sweet and warm and had good attitudes.

5. I'm sure in Latin America and Africa, there are many countries where strangers will talk to you.

6. In Lithuania and Latvia, the girls are approachable and will talk to you if you chat them up. Not saying it will go anywhere, but approaching girls doesn't feel like a crime there. How do you explain that?

7. In Poland the girls were reserved but I had a lot of fun in Krakow. I sent you the 3 hour video of me and Robert having fun in Krakow remember? You can see me flirting with many women in them, frivolously. You cannot do that in Taiwan. Try it and you will see it. Total taboo. How do you explain that?

So you see @publicduende these are all good reasons why your claim that Taiwan is like most countries outside the Philippines is not true and does not match my experience. How do you explain all the above?

Moreover, as Yohan showed above, Taiwan has THE LOWEST birthrate in the world. Lower than Japan. That obviously means something is WRONG in Taiwan. Wrong and off. Only in a very ASEXUAL country would that be the case. I'm sure everyone in the forum agrees. Don't you agree too PD?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

More news articles about Taiwan having the world's lowest birthrate.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... s-replace/

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4180941

So you see PD. Taiwan is not the same as all over developed countries. You see what I mean?

This speaks volumes. An extremely low birthrate means that male-female relationships are cold and sour and unnatural, and that something is very OFF and unnatural In other words, it means the country is very ASEXUAL. Sorry but there's no way around it. A normal friendly social country would not have the lowest birthrate in the world. No way. In contrast, the birthrate in China is higher and closer to normal, and the birthrate in the Philippines is still very high, which means male-female relations are still normal and healthy. These are all facts you can look up to validate my point.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:
July 28th, 2022, 4:54 am
@publicduende

Are you insinuating that Taiwan is the same as most countries outside the Philippines? If so, I strongly disagree, for many good reasons.

1. In my experience, most countries are friendly and open as long as you are not in NE Asia or North America.

2. Like I said, in China everyone is busy too and not many have time to have fun or hang out either. However, the level of enthusiasm from women toward meeting men and new people is between little and moderate. NOT ZERO. Remember? I sent you 1300 photos of me in China in a Google Album to show you what I mean. Remember? Did you look through the album? So there is a difference. It's not the same as Taiwan.

3. You can ask @kangarunner. In Vietnam, strangers chatted him up and made eye contact with him. They didn't totally ignore him or treat him like he didn't exist. And the people who talked to him were not only elderly people and little kids, like I mentioned above about Taiwan. It included mainstream people between 20 and 40, which in Taiwan are super cold and ignore all strangers. How do you explain that? You can ask @kangarunner about this. He has said so.

4. Cambodia was reserved too. But the people there didn't seem cold and stuck up and antisocial like in Taiwan. When I flirt in Cambodia, I didn't feel lke a criminal. And the bar girls there were sweet and warm and had good attitudes.

5. I'm sure in Latin America and Africa, there are many countries where strangers will talk to you.

6. In Lithuania and Latvia, the girls are approachable and will talk to you if you chat them up. Not saying it will go anywhere, but approaching girls doesn't feel like a crime there. How do you explain that?

7. In Poland the girls were reserved but I had a lot of fun in Krakow. I sent you the 3 hour video of me and Robert having fun in Krakow remember? You can see me flirting with many women in them, frivolously. You cannot do that in Taiwan. Try it and you will see it. Total taboo. How do you explain that?

So you see @publicduende these are all good reasons why your claim that Taiwan is like most countries outside the Philippines is not true and does not match my experience. How do you explain all the above?

Moreover, as Yohan showed above, Taiwan has THE LOWEST birthrate in the world. Lower than Japan. That obviously means something is WRONG in Taiwan. Wrong and off. Only in a very ASEXUAL country would that be the case. I'm sure everyone in the forum agrees. Don't you agree too PD?
There's no point making up figures, @Winston. Would you say Taiwan is 55% less friendly than Japan? And 78% less friendly than China?

All I am saying is that indifference, when not suspicion, towards one another and Mr Stranger, are a trend found everywhere, absolutely everywhere. Even here in the Philippines, if we must.

Your more recent experiences were in China and, if I remember correctly from your posts, even if you were seen as racially Chinese, you only managed to get some mild interest from a few girls you met on dating sites, and none of them progressed further than a few romance-less dates. And I bet right now, with the anti-stranger sentiment engulfing Chinese society, it would be far worse!

You keep evoking past experiences in Russia, the Baltics and Poland as if they were a benchmark today. Those experiences were more than a decade ago, Winston! Even I can recall Italian, French, Spanish and even British girls being warmer, more open and approachable 15 or 25 years ago, than they are now. The change is not much on the space axis, but on the time one.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

The question remains, what means 'friendly'?

As I said in various previous comments neither Taiwan nor South Korea nor Japan are countries which welcome a foreign man for dating local girls.
All three countries are well-known as importers of foreign women (usually from Asia) for marriage with local men.

About Taiwan, it's a island, it's political future is unclear. Considering other Asian countries, its population is rather small, the chances to date a local woman in Taiwan for a long term relationship by a foreigner is very limited - I know only 2 men from my native country - both in a financial very good position - who married a woman from Taiwan, both of them already divorced.

I noticed in Japan, which has also somehow the reputation of being 'unfriendly' or 'discriminating', that there is something else between 'friendly' and 'unfriendly' - I would call it 'transparent' - you are here, that's OK and you are not here, that's OK too. Japanese people who do not know you are not with you and not against you but they just don't care, 'they do not see you' - and it's not only about foreigners, Japanese also often complain about such a behavior that they are totally ignored by other Japanese living next to them.

Such behavior might be quite similar in Taiwan too. However in Japan with its 125 million people you have still more space, more people around you compared to Taiwan with a population of only 23 million ....just better chances to meet locals in Japan who are open-minded to you.

--------------------

Not clear to me however what 'friendly, unfriendly, transparent' really has to do with the birth rate in these 3 countries. Japanese large cities are really overpopulated, but in rural areas and on smaller islands you will meet only elderly people and some young men but very few young women and children.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Yohan wrote:
July 28th, 2022, 11:20 am
As I said in various previous comments neither Taiwan nor South Korea nor Japan are countries which welcome a foreign man for dating local girls.
All three countries are well-known as importers of foreign women (usually from Asia) for marriage with local men.
That these countries are not particularly welcoming to foreign men dating local girls is something a lot of men have to learn from experience, because there are way too many "dating coaches" and bullshitters leading men astray by claiming the opposite.
I noticed in Japan, which has also somehow the reputation of being 'unfriendly' or 'discriminating', that there is something else between 'friendly' and 'unfriendly' - I would call it 'transparent' - you are here, that's OK and you are not here, that's OK too. Japanese people who do not know you are not with you and not against you but they just don't care, 'they do not see you' - and it's not only about foreigners, Japanese also often complain about such a behavior that they are totally ignored by other Japanese living next to them.
^Yep, and especially in Tokyo where everyone walks down the street inside of their own private, invisible, impenetrable bubble. That is the image that always comes to my mind whenever I'm there. If you squint your eyes you can almost see the bubbles.
zhuangbi
Freshman Poster

Post by zhuangbi »

Longtime lurker, first time poster here. I agree with Winston that Taiwan people are fake-polite and hard to get close to compared to China. One of the reasons that I don't see mentioned is that in China, many of the young inhabitants are new migrants to the Tier 1 cities, so their social circle is very small and they are more willing to meet new friends.

For example, Shenzhen is a very new city, so EVERYONE there is a new migrant from some Tier 3 village and they are all trying to increase their friends circle.

In Taiwan, they are more cliqueish because they already have an established friend circle with the people they grew up with so they are not desperate to make new friends.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My new 90 min video rant about how Taiwan can NOT be as friendly as people claim. See below.

Video description:

My rant about a question I've been wondering about for years: If Taiwan is so friendly as many claim, then why does no one there want to be your friend? Why are the people super cold as ice and don't talk to strangers unless it's business related, just like in the US? And why are the women so unapproachable and act like it's illegal to talk to them? How is that "friendly"? Pray tell. Plus the people are super serious, prudish, and square and no fun to be with.

I've asked these questions for years, even to the smartest expats and Asians, and they are all stumped for some reason. How can a simple question stump everyone?! Very strange. Yet there is this continued prevaling myth that Taiwan is the friendliest country in the world, which a number of websites have claimed too, including Internations. I'll post a link to their article below along with my rebuttal which debunks their claim with good reasons and sheer logic, much of it which is easily verifiable if one goes to Taiwan and sees for oneself.

The Internations article FALSELY claiming Taiwan to be the "friendliest country in the world" without basis:
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3122252

My blog article rebutting it with 7 logical reasons, most of which are easily verifiable by anyone in Taiwan:
https://blog.happierabroad.com/2022/07/ ... untry.html

My other blog article with 10 solid reasons why Taiwan is not as friendly as people claim:
https://blog.happierabroad.com/2022/05/ ... endly.html

I apologize if this offends any Taiwanese out there. I know what I say goes against the grain and may sound impolite, but I would put my hand on the Bible and SWEAR that all that I say is TRUE to the best of my knowledge and experience in Taiwan. So my conscience is clear and God knows it.

Some further critical questions: Why does Taiwan have the LOWEST birthrate in the world, even lower than Japan? Anyone can look this up on Google easily. No friendly country would have the world's lowest birthrate. No way, impossible! And how come Taiwanese women themselves will ADMIT that they are NOT open or open minded, if you ask them? If they admit it, then how can I be wrong? Try asking them and see for yourself, you don't have to take my word for it. Also, how come when you go outside in Taiwanese cities you always see that the foreigners are either 1) alone, or 2) hanging with others foreigners, or 3) hanging with Westernized Asian Americans (like myself), but you do NOT usually see them hanging or eating with local mainstream Taiwanese people?! That speaks volumes. Obviously it means that foreigners and local Taiwanese do NOT connect naturally at all. So how can Taiwan be the world's friendliest country?! Totally ILLOGICAL! Has everyone gone INSANE?!

#taiwan #taiwanese #unfriendly #happierabroad #winstonwu

galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Winston wrote:
February 5th, 2023, 9:39 pm
My new 90 min video rant about how Taiwan can NOT be as friendly as people claim. See below.

Video description:

My rant about a question I've been wondering about for years: If Taiwan is so friendly as many claim, then why does no one there want to be your friend? Why are the people super cold as ice and don't talk to strangers unless it's business related, just like in the US? And why are the women so unapproachable and act like it's illegal to talk to them? How is that "friendly"? Pray tell. Plus the people are super serious, prudish, and square and no fun to be with.

I've asked these questions for years, even to the smartest expats and Asians, and they are all stumped for some reason. How can a simple question stump everyone?! Very strange. Yet there is this continued prevaling myth that Taiwan is the friendliest country in the world, which a number of websites have claimed too, including Internations. I'll post a link to their article below along with my rebuttal which debunks their claim with good reasons and sheer logic, much of it which is easily verifiable if one goes to Taiwan and sees for oneself.

The Internations article FALSELY claiming Taiwan to be the "friendliest country in the world" without basis:
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3122252

My blog article rebutting it with 7 logical reasons, most of which are easily verifiable by anyone in Taiwan:
https://blog.happierabroad.com/2022/07/ ... untry.html

My other blog article with 10 solid reasons why Taiwan is not as friendly as people claim:
https://blog.happierabroad.com/2022/05/ ... endly.html

I apologize if this offends any Taiwanese out there. I know what I say goes against the grain and may sound impolite, but I would put my hand on the Bible and SWEAR that all that I say is TRUE to the best of my knowledge and experience in Taiwan. So my conscience is clear and God knows it.

Some further critical questions: Why does Taiwan have the LOWEST birthrate in the world, even lower than Japan? Anyone can look this up on Google easily. No friendly country would have the world's lowest birthrate. No way, impossible! And how come Taiwanese women themselves will ADMIT that they are NOT open or open minded, if you ask them? If they admit it, then how can I be wrong? Try asking them and see for yourself, you don't have to take my word for it. Also, how come when you go outside in Taiwanese cities you always see that the foreigners are either 1) alone, or 2) hanging with others foreigners, or 3) hanging with Westernized Asian Americans (like myself), but you do NOT usually see them hanging or eating with local mainstream Taiwanese people?! That speaks volumes. Obviously it means that foreigners and local Taiwanese do NOT connect naturally at all. So how can Taiwan be the world's friendliest country?! Totally ILLOGICAL! Has everyone gone INSANE?!

#taiwan #taiwanese #unfriendly #happierabroad #winstonwu
Maybe it is because they leave you alone. That is a big thing. In many countries people annoy each other and go into each others spaces. Being able to be not annoying could be seen as friendly. Plus their is a difference between friendly and being friends. Some may not see the difference.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

gtp writes:

Perception of friendliness can vary greatly from person to person and culture to culture. Some people may perceive the reserved demeanor and lack of familiarity with strangers in Taiwan as unfriendly, while others may see it as a sign of respect. It's also worth noting that the attitude towards strangers may differ in different parts of Taiwan and in different social settings.

It's important to remember that cultural norms and behaviors can be difficult to understand and interpret, especially for those from a different background. Just because someone perceives a place or its people as unfriendly, it doesn't necessarily mean that their view is accurate or universally shared.

Lastly, I'd like to note that while Internations is a well-regarded organization, their ranking of the friendliest countries is based on a survey of their members and may not be representative of the experiences of all travelers or residents.

The low birthrate in Taiwan may be due to various factors such as a declining fertility rate, an aging population, and changing cultural values. Many countries with a low birthrate are facing similar challenges, and it's a complex issue that goes beyond a simple label of friendliness or unfriendliness.

Regarding the perception of Taiwanese women being unapproachable, it could be a cultural difference, as some societies tend to value privacy and personal space more than others. However, it's worth noting that individuals within a culture can also have varying levels of friendliness, openness, and sociability.

As for the observation that foreigners in Taiwan tend to associate with each other or with Westernized Asian Americans, this could be due to many factors, including language barriers, shared cultural experiences, and comfort levels. The lack of interaction between foreigners and local Taiwanese people doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of friendliness.

In conclusion, the friendliness of a place and its people are subjective and can vary greatly based on many factors, including cultural differences, individual personality, and personal experiences. It's essential to approach these types of observations with an open mind and recognize the complexity of the issue
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

galii wrote:
February 5th, 2023, 10:52 pm
gtp writes:

Perception of friendliness can vary greatly from person to person and culture to culture. Some people may perceive the reserved demeanor and lack of familiarity with strangers in Taiwan as unfriendly, while others may see it as a sign of respect. It's also worth noting that the attitude towards strangers may differ in different parts of Taiwan and in different social settings.

It's important to remember that cultural norms and behaviors can be difficult to understand and interpret, especially for those from a different background. Just because someone perceives a place or its people as unfriendly, it doesn't necessarily mean that their view is accurate or universally shared.

Lastly, I'd like to note that while Internations is a well-regarded organization, their ranking of the friendliest countries is based on a survey of their members and may not be representative of the experiences of all travelers or residents.

The low birthrate in Taiwan may be due to various factors such as a declining fertility rate, an aging population, and changing cultural values. Many countries with a low birthrate are facing similar challenges, and it's a complex issue that goes beyond a simple label of friendliness or unfriendliness.

Regarding the perception of Taiwanese women being unapproachable, it could be a cultural difference, as some societies tend to value privacy and personal space more than others. However, it's worth noting that individuals within a culture can also have varying levels of friendliness, openness, and sociability.

As for the observation that foreigners in Taiwan tend to associate with each other or with Westernized Asian Americans, this could be due to many factors, including language barriers, shared cultural experiences, and comfort levels. The lack of interaction between foreigners and local Taiwanese people doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of friendliness.

In conclusion, the friendliness of a place and its people are subjective and can vary greatly based on many factors, including cultural differences, individual personality, and personal experiences. It's essential to approach these types of observations with an open mind and recognize the complexity of the issue
Who wrote that? You? Who is gtp? Why don't you post the above under the video in the comments section, for further discussion? FYI, I already addressed some of those points in the video. There is no language barrier in Taipei, the people speak English and many women there act like Asian Americans, spoiled and stuck up and think they're better than everyone, etc. Language is not an issue at all, animals and insects communicate without it, so can we. Humans can communicate with body language and facial expressions and telepathy if they really want to. It's all about resonance. Also, Taiwan has emulated bad American culture too. If you go there, you will see that the people are very cold. Someone in the comments section has a more plausible explanation about why everyone is willing to lie and say Taiwan is friendly:

The_Gilded_Age_Phoenix • 1 hour ago (edited)
Americans love Taiwan because of the whole Communism vs "Free Market" thing. Americans think Taiwan is this American-loving version of what China would be if it hadn't fallen to the Communists. Like most things in life, people's views are based on mindless beliefs arising out of marketing/propaganda.

Happier Abroad: Escape USA & Date Foreign Women!
• 54 minutes ago
That's a good valid point. It does seem like the western media has a vendetta to praise and glorify Taiwan and cover it in a positive light. So the "Taiwan fiendliness" myth is about politics? That's weird. Also, like I said in the video, most people think politeness = friendliness. However even by that definition, not all Taiwanese are polite. Some are very rude and grouchy and will yell at you for no reason. So I don't understand why so many websites claim that all Taiwanese are friendly. Why lie and say something that's clearly not true? It's illogical. Like you said, it may be about politics.

The_Gilded_Age_Phoenix • 33 minutes ago
@Happier Abroad: Escape USA & Date Foreign Women! The difference between politeness and friendliness becomes more apparent the longer you stay in a place. Politeness is what they give to visiting foreigners. Friendliness is what you experience over the long term in your day-to-day interactions. I do believe many/most things have to do with politics/business/marketing-propaganda. I remember how they humanized the Russians after the Soviet Union fell. One McDonald's commercial comes to mind...the one with Gorbachev & Raisa eating at Mickey D's.

galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Winston wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 12:45 am
galii wrote:
February 5th, 2023, 10:52 pm
gtp writes:

Who wrote that? You? Who is gtp? Why don't you post the above under the video in the comments section, for further discussion? FYI, I already addressed some of those points in the video. There is no language barrier in Taipei, the people speak English and many women there act like Asian Americans, spoiled and stuck up and think they're better than everyone, etc. Language is not an issue at all, animals and insects communicate without it, so can we. Humans can communicate with body language and facial expressions and telepathy if they really want to. It's all about resonance. Also, Taiwan has emulated bad American culture too. If you go there, you will see that the people are very cold. Someone in the comments section has a more plausible explanation about why everyone is willing to lie and say Taiwan is friendly:

The_Gilded_Age_Phoenix • 1 hour ago (edited)
Americans love Taiwan because of the whole Communism vs "Free Market" thing. Americans think Taiwan is this American-loving version of what China would be if it hadn't fallen to the Communists. Like most things in life, people's views are based on mindless beliefs arising out of marketing/propaganda.

Happier Abroad: Escape USA & Date Foreign Women!
• 54 minutes ago
That's a good valid point. It does seem like the western media has a vendetta to praise and glorify Taiwan and cover it in a positive light. So the "Taiwan fiendliness" myth is about politics? That's weird. Also, like I said in the video, most people think politeness = friendliness. However even by that definition, not all Taiwanese are polite. Some are very rude and grouchy and will yell at you for no reason. So I don't understand why so many websites claim that all Taiwanese are friendly. Why lie and say something that's clearly not true? It's illogical. Like you said, it may be about politics.

The_Gilded_Age_Phoenix • 33 minutes ago
@Happier Abroad: Escape USA & Date Foreign Women! The difference between politeness and friendliness becomes more apparent the longer you stay in a place. Politeness is what they give to visiting foreigners. Friendliness is what you experience over the long term in your day-to-day interactions. I do believe many/most things have to do with politics/business/marketing-propaganda. I remember how they humanized the Russians after the Soviet Union fell. One McDonald's commercial comes to mind...the one with Gorbachev & Raisa eating at Mickey D's.
ChatGTP is the nex big thing that changes everything. It is currently the best AI.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Winston wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 9:55 pm
I don't understand something. I've asked Rock about this since 2009 but he refuses to answer or explain and keeps dodging it. I've also asked @onethousandknives but he too hasn't given me a real answer either. The question I don't get is this:

Why does everyone or most people online claim that Taiwan is very friendly and that the people are very warm, open, wonderful, etc? For example, see these blog posts:
https://theculturetrip.com/asia/taiwan/ ... ns-people/
https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com/ta ... ple-world/

My big question about that is: How can Taiwan be friendly if no one wants to be your friend? And everyone ignores you and treats you like you don't exist? How is that friendly or warm or social?

Every time I ask that question to Taiwanese locals or pro-Taiwan foreigners, they get stumped and tongue tied and have no answer. Yet they continue to spout "Taiwan is friendly" like a parrot as though they were part of some religious cult and brainwashed. I don't understand what they're smoking.

Furthermore, how can Taiwan be friendly if:

1. No one wants to be your friend in Taiwan. There is an inner resistance to making friends or hanging out, as if everyone wants to be left alone and isolated and you are supposed to too. Same as in America, especially West Coast USA. I find Taiwan to be the most unfriendly country in Asia. Hands down. It feels very weird and awkward to even try to make friends in Taiwan, as if it's something unnatural and against the grain, like trying to walk upstream in a moving river. You feel as if you are trying to do something that you're not supposed to and not meant to be.

In Taipei, you can make some friends superficially through Meetup.com or Couchsurfing.org, but these are mostly superficial friendships or acquaintances. But go down south to Chiayi and it's impossible. Even the foreigners there or the Couchsurfers refuse to meet up. Everyone wants to be left alone and everyone seems socially diseased as though everyone is afraid to talk to you. Very creepy indeed.

Now if you wanna say that I must be the problem, then of course I will argue that the problem must be Taiwan, because I have no problem making friends or meeting people in most other countries I go to, and plus I am very outgoing and extroverted and confident too, if the culture allows me to be me, like it does in Russia or Philippines for example.

2. Everyone ignores me and treats me like I don't exist. Especially women and girls are super closed and cold. I feel like a ghost in Taiwan. No eye contact with strangers at all. I feel like I don't exist. Especially the girls are super closed, cold and cliquish. They have a very stuck up vibe that is not approachable at all. Out of the 15 countries I've been to, I find Taiwanese females the most unapproachable and stuck up, right up there with America. The girls and women in Taiwan NEVER look you in the eye, NEVER talk to strangers, NEVER have an open vibe, and always treat you like a ghost, as if you aren't even there. They are the most CLOSED women in the world, hands down. Sometimes elderly people in Taiwan will be nice and inquisitive and chit chat with me superficially, but never the girls. The difference between young and old in Taiwan is huge, but no one dares to talk about it. Again, if you wanna claim that the problem must be me, think again, and see the last part of #1 above.

3. Almost all the foreigners I see in Taiwan are either alone or with other foreigners. Not hanging out with local Taiwanese people. The only Taiwanese or Asians they hang out with are Americanized or Westernized Asians. I've taken pictures of foreigners who are either alone or with other foreigners in Taiwan to prove my point, if anyone wants to contest it. In fact, I've seen foreigners looking bored because they are ignored, and in the very isolating environment of Taiwan. I don't get why more don't speak out though. Maybe they are afraid to since this is a taboo subject and truth is taboo in fake cultures like Taiwan and America?

4. If you think the problem is me, then let me ask you this: How come I don't have a problem meeting people or making friends in most other countries I've been to? Especially in Eastern Europe, Russia and Southeast Asia, in those areas I never have a problem. I got tons of videos and photos to prove it. So I got the hard proof to prove the problem isn't me. I only have a problem in socially closed countries like Taiwan, America and NE Asia, where people are workaholic, closed, don't talk to strangers, and the girls never flirt and aren't approachable.

So how can the problem be me if I don't have the same problems in most other countries and only in weird countries like Taiwan and America? In addition, I have good communication skills, good social skills, good people skills, am outgoing, am very articulate and assertive, confident, friendly, etc. Plus I have worked in marketing and sales jobs too, so I am fairly good with people and communication. I'm not a social dunce or shy by any means. So how can the problem be me?

5. Taiwanese themselves do not deny that their women are closed and not open to talking to strangers, when I bring it up to them. Even Taiwanese women will admit that if you ask them. So how can I be wrong if Taiwanese themselves admit that I'm right? Yet regardless, they still consider themselves to be "friendly people". Go figure. I guess their definition of friendliness is different than mine. They seem to see friendliness more as being polite, not as being social or open or wanting to hang out or date. Many on the internet define friendliness like that too, including westerners, which might explain why they find Taiwan to be "friendly".

6. I definitely sense a negative vibe in Taiwan, around people, especially women. They are very grim, sour, self-hating, negative, repressed, narrow minded, superficial, etc. That's definitely NOT a positive vibe at all. No way jose. It can't be my imagination either. I'm very spiritual and aware and highly conscious, so I am very sensitive to energy and vibes. Yet most people claim Taiwanese are very friendly and warm with a positive vibe. How can that be? Surely we all must be in our own universe or dimension. Because this is very Twilight Zone like.

7. I also cannot connect with people or have a normal conversation with Taiwanese, not even the ones in America. It has nothing to do with language, mind you, since I speak decent Taiwanese (the native dialect) and basic Mandarin. It's just that they are on a different wavelength and in their own world, one that's insular and narrow, which I don't connect with. In contrast, when I first went to Russia and didn't speak any Russian at all, I still felt natural chemistry, camaraderie and energy with the people there, especially the girls, who were very open, curious and fearless - in total contrast with Taiwan. To be honest, Taiwanese girls are super closed, cliquish, stuck up and not assertive at all. It seems impossible to connect with them and they don't even want to connect with me. Only elderly people in Taiwan are sometimes friendly and talkative. But definitely not young women or girls. No way. Usually I'm very good with girls except in the weird Taiwan matrix, where I can't even be myself. Hence it's very suffocating.

8. Everything feels very awkward, weird and inappropriate in Taiwan. I feel like I am not even allowed to exist in Taiwan, even living and breathing feels inappropriate in Taiwan. Yes, that's how bad it is, it's worse than you can imagine. It's hard to explain. It's a bizarro world with a REVERSE NEGATIVE POLARITY, where normal is abnormal, where being positive means you swim upstream against the current, because everything feels negative and self-hating and soul-sucking. No one in Taiwan acts confident, assertive, or outspoken, and if you do, you feel out of place. So you can't do anything or be anything. It's weird. I can't go anywhere without feeling awkward, as if I'm not supposed to exist, let alone be me. It's one thing for people to be unfriendly, closed, cold, ignore you or treat you like you don't exist. But it's another to feel awkward everywhere, as though you aren't supposed to exist or live or breathe there, because you simply are out of place and invalidated. It's very weird and hard to put into words. Have any of you felt that way anywhere? Or is it just me?

This just goes to show that what Americans and Truthers miss is that freedom is not all about government control. In Taiwan and Japan, the government does nothing and doesn't bother or bully people. Neither do the cops. No. The social culture there is what's restrictive and takes away your freedom and doesn't allow you to be yourself. In America it's similar. The social culture is what takes away your freedom to talk to strangers or flirt with girls or be yourself, etc not government. Also in America, you feel like your consciousness is highly controlled too, that's why you don't actually FEEL FREE in America, even if you are told you are free. It's not because federal agents and soldiers in America are pushing you around. It's because the overall vibe and culture and environment there tries to control your consciousness and mind, and you can feel it.

As former forum member Grunt said:
http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6692
"If anyone feels they "come out of their shell" when overseas, try to keep something in mind. That person you are overseas is the real you. The person you are in America is a prisoner, nothing more."

That nails it. America and Taiwan do NOT allow you to ACT free and come out of your shell and be as extroverted and outgoing as you want (like I was in Russia). No way jose. America and Taiwan may TELL you that you are free because you have political freedoms, but you never feel free nor can you act free and be yourself as I was in Russia. There is no freespirited open vibe in America or Taiwan, that's for sure. So no matter how much they tell you you are free, you NEVER actually FEEL free. That's what you gotta understand. This is a bit hard to explain in words, but I've done my best. I'm sure some of you who feel the same way know what I mean.

9. Taiwan also takes away your normal confidence and self-esteem. For some reason, you just cannot feel confident or bold there. It's simply not allowed. The Taiwanese vibe and people always make you feel small, inadequate, weak, insecure, etc. Taiwan constantly downs you and puts you down - in a passive and subtle but real manner - with its self-hating vibe, so you never feel strong or confident. Especially if you're Asian, because Taiwan expects Asians to be weak, humble, obedient and self-hating. It's hard to explain what I mean, but that's the best way I can put it. Thus I cannot be my super bold confident self in Taiwan like I can in Russia or Eastern Europe or SE Asia. If you watch my videos on YouTube or HappierAbroad, you can see what I mean.

Whereas friendlier positive countries (like the ones I mentioned above) are like the yellow Sun to Superman for me, making me feel empowered, alive and vibrant, countries like Taiwan are like Kryptonite to Superman to me, taking away all my power and mojo, making me feel weak like I'm nothing. And also because I'm simply disliked, invalidated, avoided and ignored in Taiwan, which I can feel it too. Not because of anything I did wrong or because I'm a bad person. Far from it. But simply because I am disliked for who I am and what I am, which people can sense even if I try to hide it. It's not my imagination like my parents falsely claim. When people dislike you or think you are weird, you can definitely feel the negative vibe from them, especially if you're sensitive and spiritual like me. It's not your paranoid imagination. Being around similar people of like mind who empower you, is a totally different vibe which makes you stronger, than being around people who dislike you and have nothing in common with you and aren't on your frequency, like in Taiwan. That's for sure.

10. Even if you wanna consider "friendliness" to mean "politeness" as most Taiwanese do, it's still not true that all Taiwanese are polite. There are many people in Taiwan everywhere that look very grouchy, grim, angry, pissed off and ready to scold you for any reason, very on edge in other words. In my estimation, about 1/3 of Taiwanese are polite, while 1/3 look grouchy, grumpy, angry, on edge and pissed off and ready to scold you, and 1/3 are somewhere in the middle. That would be a fairly reasonable estimation I think. So it's definitely not true that everyone in Taiwan is "friendly or polite".

Yet no one draws this distinction like I do. Most people instead like to make positive generalizations, insinuating that all people in Taiwan are friendly, which is socially acceptable of course. It seems that positive generalizations are ok, but not negative ones. It's an obvious double standard of course. But we live in a world that is politically correct, not honest or truthful, so these kinds of double standards are to be expected. It's just that no one dares to point them out except me and very few others. Geez aren't I unique? lol

Now, the high percentage of grouchy angry people in Taiwan is not surprising, since Taiwan is a workaholic repressed country where one is not allowed to express themselves or be outspoken or think for themselves, similar to Japan, so no doubt there are a lot of miserable people and it shows on their faces and voices. The vibe and culture feel super restrictive too, like a negative polarity flow, where positivity runs upstream against the current, while negativity runs downstream with the current. Yet in spite of this, you are not allowed to talk about the negative vibes there at all. It's hard to explain, but that's the best way I can explain it. Simply put, you can't be yourself in Taiwan, or be extroverted or outgoing or open or confident - like you can in Bangkok, Pattaya, Angeles City, or Eastern Europe/Russia of course. You definitely can't be the you in those places if you're in Taiwan, that's for sure. Within your social clique you sometimes can, but not with strangers. No siree.

Bottom line:

So how does all of the above constitute being "friendly, warm and social"? I don't get it. I've been asking this question since 2009 but no one can give me an answer or even try to. Truly different people must be in a different universe. It's the only explanation for why people have vastly different experiences in any location. But you'd think that reality should be mostly objective. For example, we can all see the same red car in front of us or the same mountain in the distance. So I don't get it. Can anyone explain?
Winston you are gullible. I would never trust those claims. The reason Taiwan was antisocial to you is obvious - you fell for a used car salesman/snake oil scam.

However you are treated better in Taiwan than in America so just figure it out from here.

I recommend a certain painting buy it from online like Amazon.

Or go here for ideas:

https://www.personality-database.com/pr ... t_id=30016

Now, a big problem is Winston that you are dealing with a similar problem you had with Asians back in America.

You are still free spirited. I recommend you Google enders game. It's a book about a boy who ends up outsmarting a race of alien species. Now do you remember high school where maybe 1 student got admitted to ivy league or UCLA or uc Berkeley? You can't relate right you went to community college.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.
Space Invaders
Freshman Poster

Post by Space Invaders »

I follow a few South Korean male travel vloggers who have a great time partying and meeting girls in Taiwan. Check out @jinukorea and @clark tv on youtube. The locals seem to be very friendly.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Or just ditch the vegetarianism and start eating meat. KFC is a great restaurant because there's expats and locals would understand that. Remember you spent your life basically in the USA. Now you're in a different country. Half of the middle schoolers know more about the culture than you. It's also a first world country unlike the Philippines, so they don't have leniency for lousy customer service or other things like that.

Political correctness increases when the need for infj personality decreases. (Economics) Basically, unlike the Philippines, Taiwan isn't much into Islam or Muslim, though I would imagine it's tolerable compared to the US? I suppose you want it easier? Come on, now. (I haven't checked on vegetarianism in Islam, though many infjs aren't vegetarian).

Think about it, it's not England. It's not Canada. Sure many college students have iPhones in Taiwan. It's still a lot less. Remember a meat eater will sense something different when seeing a vegetarian.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.