"Are you a Pure American?"

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I've been asked that question several times and by rather educated Filipinos. I've always answered " Yes", but was intrigued by that term. What does being " pure American" entail?
" Pure American" to describe a person is not an American moniker. Even George Washington did not use it. Even the most patriotic or right wing Americans do not use it. In a country with such a long history of racism, that particular term was never coined. It is basically a term created by Filipinos.
So, I asked a Filipino person what " pure American" meant. And she answered," the blonds".
Then, I asked online, and another answer came:
'A pure American is a person who was born in the USA, from parents born in the USA".
Obama's father was not born in the USA and Trumps mother was not born there. So, the two recent presidents are not " pure" Americans, then. Trump passes the blond test, though. That's a consolation.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Gali
Junior Poster

Re: "Are you a Pure American?"

Post by Gali »

ladislav wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 2:23 pm
I've been asked that question several times and by rather educated Filipinos. I've always answered " Yes", but was intrigued by that term. What does being " pure American" entail?
" Pure American" to describe a person is not an American moniker. Even George Washington did not use it. Even the most patriotic or right wing Americans do not use it. In a country with such a long history of racism, that particular term was never coined. It is basically a term created by Filipinos.
So, I asked a Filipino person what " pure American" meant. And she answered," the blonds".
Then, I asked online, and another answer came:
'A pure American is a person who was born in the USA, from parents born in the USA".
Obama's father was not born in the USA and Trumps mother was not born there. So, the two recent presidents are not " pure" Americans, then. Trump passes the blond test, though. That's a consolation.
It is a reasonale question
jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Re: "Are you a Pure American?"

Post by jerryrigged »

You do get judged harshly in Southeast Asia for Italian, southern European, and Mediterranean features. You'll never be pure American to them if you look like this.
Sometimes a single moment of madness can last a lifetime

"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer