"I am a Pure Filipino! "

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

"I am a Pure Filipino! "

Post by ladislav »

What do they mean by " Pure Filipino"?
Filipinos use that term often. As in " I am a pure Filipina".
But what does it mean?
I guess what they mean by that is " typical Filipino" or " most common, majority-type Filipino".
And it is usually:

A SE Asian face and skin tone ( similar to how Thai people look).
A Spanish ( or native) last name and an English first name.
Catholic religion and fluency in a local language.
Born and raised in the Philippines to parents and grandparents born and raised there who have the same background as in 1 and 2.

Correct me if I am wrong.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: "I am a Pure Filipino! "

Post by yick »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 11:53 pm
ladislav wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 2:40 pm
What do they mean by " Pure Filipino"?
Filipinos use that term often. As in " I am a pure Filipina".
But what does it mean?
I guess what they mean by that is " typical Filipino" or " most common, majority-type Filipino".
And it is usually:

A SE Asian face and skin tone ( similar to how Thai people look).
A Spanish ( or native) last name and an English first name.
Catholic religion and fluency in a local language.
Born and raised in the Philippines to parents and grandparents born and raised there who have the same background as in 1 and 2.

Correct me if I am wrong.
A "pure Filipino" is basically a girl who looks like a katulong and knows it. Personally I exclusively date girls with tall noses and features that show a hint of distant European ancestry. If the face is devoid of such features, her nose is flat and wide, her skin very dark, then she would refer to herself as "pure Filipino". Those with fairer skin, shapely eyebrows, pointed noses and nice jawlines will often have some distant Spanish ancestor they proudly claim.
Are there plenty of these type of ladies with a Spanish ancestor? When I see the average Filipino 23andme DNA - a fair few of them have 1-5% Spanish and Portuguese DNA and some with Native American (as a fair few Mexicans made their way to the Philippines as it was ruled by Spain via Mexico).

As a Latin American myself, I will have to go there one day and experience it. I have some Filipino DNA (about 1%) via Guadalajara in Mexico. :lol:
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 12:12 am
yick wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 12:01 am

Are there plenty of these type of ladies with a Spanish ancestor? When I see the average Filipino 23andme DNA - a fair few of them have 1-5% Spanish and Portuguese DNA and some with Native American (as a fair few Mexicans made their way to the Philippines as it was ruled by Spain via Mexico).

As a Latin American myself, I will have to go there one day and experience it. I have some Filipino DNA (about 1%) via Guadalajara in Mexico. :lol:
There are quite a few such types, and it depends of course on the region, but some places have more girls with those features than others. It's always rather special to see such a face, it's kind of rare. Like there is this one Facebook friend I have who recently made a "happy birthday" post about his father; his father had a very thick, black beard tinged with grey, curly hair and features that weren't quite Filipino. He looked almost Arabic, or Hispanic, in a way. So did one of his sons.
Which part of the Philippines that would have a lot of those types? Manila? I think when I venture there that will be my first port of call. I like cities, I much prefer Lima to tramping around Macchu Picchu in Peru. :D
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 11:53 pm
A "pure Filipino" is basically a girl who looks like a katulong and knows it. Personally I exclusively date girls with tall noses and features that show a hint of distant European ancestry. If the face is devoid of such features, her nose is flat and wide, her skin very dark, then she would refer to herself as "pure Filipino". Those with fairer skin, shapely eyebrows, pointed noses and nice jawlines will often have some distant Spanish ancestor they proudly claim.
I have heard several girls with much "gentler" Malay/Austronesian features (flattish but not wide nose, fair skin, slender body with nice chest and butt, etc.) define themselves "pure Filipino".

I think, for many, calling themselves "pure Filipino" is almost a somber declaration of genetic conformity: they say that because they don't have anything that can be traced back to DNA coming from the West, China, or some other Asian territory they would consider "cool". Funnily enough, those Filpinos who have ancestry from Arab countries, or India are not particularly excited to speak about it. It's all about "mestizas" and "chinitas" down here.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 1:08 am
yick wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 12:21 am
Which part of the Philippines that would have a lot of those types? Manila? I think when I venture there that will be my first port of call. I like cities, I much prefer Lima to tramping around Macchu Picchu in Peru. :D
The most common region to find such features is in the Mountain Province, Benguet, Baguio area, Nueva Viscaya mountain area, those places where the Igorot tribes dwell. Many pale girls with nice features can be found there, far prettier to me on average than the 'usual suspects' of Manila, excluding some of the elite rich girls from successful old families in the capital which tend to be gorgeous as well, almost like another species of human altogether.
Cheers for those suggestions! I am going to check them out! :D