What do I like about Cambodia that is better than in Thailand and the PH.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I spent 3.5 years in Thailand, and five in the PH. And one year in Cambodia until Covid struck.

Good things about Cambodia based on my impression:

A lot less snobbery, classism and racism. Also, not much caste system as in Thailand, where you have all these social classes which do not mingle. This creates less anger in society ( which in Thailand is then often taken out on the ' farang'. ).
Non-pretentious people, by and large, who treat you as an equal. I guess this is the effect of the French "egalite, fraternite, liberte". Also, the KR destroyed old money, and everyone had to start from 0.

I like the "bong" thing. People are brothers.

In Thailand, there are a lot of angry, ignorant, p-ssed off people. They look like they are missing out on something. You see lots and lots of sulks. Or faces of quiet resignation. A land of smiles, but few are smiling.

A lot less xenophobia against the Western man. You can mingle better. They don't mind Western guys marrying Khmer ladies so much. It is just way more normal. They are used to such things because of the French and the UN. Just a regular deal. Not many people going into a near epileptic fit when they see a " farang", or barking at the woman with a Western husband- as in Thailand (or sometimes in the PH)

People enjoy dressing up and looking good. No dress down culture as in the PH, for one.

Better architecture and just good aesthetic taste in it. I love many of their buildings. It's a pleasure to ride around and look at them. Nice balconies, nice space design, nice colors. You look at Phnom Penh from a roof of a building, and it all looks very nice.
Cambodia looks like a cute, elegant jewelry box. Or an opera theater.

Inside, also, you have good quality design and art and pretty furniture. All tastefully done.

In Thailand, outside the historic structures, it is all not very attractive. Most of it is kind of grim-looking. In the PH, it is just practical, box-like buildings outside of the Spanish area or some nice places in BGC. In Cambodia it's all over.

The food is admittedly not as good as in Thailand, but the snails and the frogs as well as the baguettes make up for it. Frogs became my staple. Totally delicious. Also, lok-lak is great.

Still a lot of French influence seen in many things. French restaurants and French colonial architecture. And some half a million people can speak French. Many Khmers still live in France and shuttle back and fourth. And the people still act kind of French to me. Not 100%, but I can see it. And then you have the urban design which is kind of French. Big parkways with a park in the middle. The Riverside looks like La Nice.
A very mature, refined, ancient culture to rival Japan, with an ancient religion, and people still following it. Neither Thailand nor the Philippines have such a strong and old indigenous base.

There is respect for smart and intellectual people. Unlike in Thailand, where there is a cult of childishness and being ignorant. Being smart there annoys people. And America is like that, too, by the way.

The expat community is varied and quite big %% wise. Lots of interesting people. Also, many international restaurants, and they allow waiters and waitresses to be foreigners. At least a %%. In Thailand and the PH, it is not allowed.

So, I went to an Arabic restaurant, and I was served by an Arab waiter. I went to a Ukrainian restaurant ( try and find one in the Philippines) and was served by a tall, blonde Ukrainian lady.

It is a pleasure to just live in Cambodia. A very solemn and cozy feeling.

What do you like about Cambodia?

Last edited by ladislav on November 19th, 2021, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What do I like about Cambodia that is better than in Thailand and the PH.

Post by publicduende »

I have never been to Cambodia, although it was on top of our long weekend trip list, before Covid insanity struck. I have been to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, though, and I must say the French colonial culture is still permeating some of the architecture, the cuisine and even people's behaviour to some extent.

From what I could see, I still believe the Philippines has the prettier girls. :D
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

publicduende wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 6:17 pm
I have never been to Cambodia, although it was on top of our long weekend trip list, before Covid insanity struck. I have been to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, though, and I must say the French colonial culture is still permeating some of the architecture, the cuisine and even people's behaviour to some extent.

From what I could see, I still believe the Philippines has the prettier girls. :D
Philippines does have prettier ladies. The Unfortunate Reality is that :( Cambodian women do not age well.
Last edited by Jonny Law on November 20th, 2021, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jonny Law wrote:
November 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
publicduende wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 6:17 pm

Philippines does have prettier ladies. Unfortunate reality is that :( Cambodian women do not age well
They can age OK if they stay out of the sun.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Hey @ladislav, excellent "pill-sized" insights about Cambodia. I have a friend who lived in Siem Reap for a few months and had to leave because he said the city was infested by petty crime and drug dealing.

I hope this isn't happening in Phnom Penh?