Anyone in Russia now? Or traveling to it?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Anyone in Russia now? Or traveling to it?

Post by chanta76 »

It seems like with the war travel restriction is in place but wondering if anyone is there now or planning on too.

Plus it seems like most posters here prefer the Philippines as the goto country. Is Russia still place to go or is it just feminist hell hole.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Anyone in Russia now? Or traveling too it

Post by Voyager1 »

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ation.html

Russia - Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel to Russia due to the unpredictable consequences of the unprovoked full-scale invasion of Ukraine by Russian military forces, the potential for harassment and the singling out of U.S. citizens for detention by Russian government security officials, the arbitrary enforcement of local law, limited flights into and out of Russia, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, and the possibility of terrorism. U.S. citizens residing or travelling in Russia should depart immediately. Exercise increased caution due to the risk of wrongful detentions.

The U.S. government’s ability to provide routine or emergency services to U.S. citizens in Russia is severely limited, particularly in areas far from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, due to Russian government limitations on travel for embassy personnel and staffing, and the ongoing suspension of operations, including consular services, at U.S. consulates.

In September, the Russian government mobilized citizens to the armed forces in support of its invasion of Ukraine. Russia may refuse to acknowledge dual nationals’ U.S. citizenship, deny their access to U.S. consular assistance, subject them to mobilization, prevent their departure from Russia, and/or conscript them.

U.S. citizens should note that U.S. credit and debit cards no longer work in Russia, and options to electronically transfer funds from the United States are extremely limited due to sanctions imposed on Russian banks. There are reports of cash shortages within Russia.

Commercial flight options are extremely limited and are often unavailable on short notice. If you wish to depart Russia, you should make independent arrangements as soon as possible. The U.S. Embassy has severe limitations on its ability to assist U.S. citizens to depart the country and transportation options may suddenly become even more limited. Click here for Information for U.S. Citizens Seeking to Depart Russia.

U.S. Embassy personnel are generally not permitted to travel on Russian air carriers due to safety concerns. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) downgraded the air safety rating for Russia from Category 1 to Category 2 on April 21, 2022, due to Russia’s Federal Agency for Air Transport noncompliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) safety standards. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued a Notice to Air Missions (NOTAM) prohibiting U.S. aviation operations into, out of, within, or over those areas of the Moscow Flight Information Region (FIR), the Samara FIR (UWWW) and the Rostov-na-Donu (URRV) FIR within 160NM of the boundaries of the Dnipro (UKDV) Flight Information Regions. For more information, U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration’s Prohibitions, Restrictions, and Notices.

The right of peaceful assembly and freedom of expression are not consistently protected in Russia. U.S. citizens should avoid all political or social protests and not photograph security personnel at these events. Russian authorities have arrested U.S. citizens who have participated in demonstrations.

Country Summary:

U.S. citizens, including former and current U.S. government and military personnel and private citizens engaged in business who are visiting or residing in Russia, have been interrogated without cause and threatened by Russian officials, and may become victims of harassment, mistreatment, and extortion.

Russian security services may fail to notify the U.S. Embassy of the detention of a U.S. citizen and unreasonably delay U.S. consular assistance. Russian security services are increasing the arbitrary enforcement of local laws to target foreign and international organizations they consider “undesirable.”

Russian security services have arrested U.S. citizens on spurious charges, singled out U.S. citizens in Russia for detention and harassment, denied them fair and transparent treatment, and convicted them in secret trials or without presenting credible evidence. Furthermore, Russian authorities arbitrarily enforce local laws against U.S. citizen religious workers and have opened questionable criminal investigations against U.S. citizens engaged in religious activity. U.S. citizens should avoid travel to Russia to perform work for or volunteer with non-governmental organizations or religious organizations.

There have been multiple security incidents in southwestern Russia related to Russia’s unprovoked and unjustified invasion of Ukraine. The Russian government declared martial law in Russia’s regions bordering Ukraine (Bryansk, Kursk, Belgorod, Voronezh, Rostov, Krasnodar) on October 20, 2022. The martial law regime allows the rapid introduction of restrictive measures such as curfew, seizure of private property, restriction of entry/exit and freedom of movement, internment of foreigners, forced relocation of local residents, and restrictions on public gatherings. U.S. citizens should avoid all travel to these areas.

Recent legislation has expanded the ability of Russian authorities to detain, question, and arrest individuals suspected of acting against Russia’s interests, including engaging with foreign and international entities, discrediting the Russian state or military, as well as advocating for the rights of LGBTQI+ persons.

Terrorist groups, both transnational and local terrorist organizations, and individuals inspired by extremist ideology continue plotting possible attacks in Russia. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs and systems, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas. Travel to the North Caucasus (including Chechnya and Mt. Elbrus) is prohibited for U.S. government employees and strongly discouraged for U.S. citizens.

The international community, including the United States and Ukraine, does not recognize Russia’s purported annexation of Crimea as well as four other Ukrainian oblasts – Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhya – that Russia has purported to annex more recently. There is extensive Russian Federation military presence in these areas. Russia staged its further invasion of Ukraine, in part, from occupied Crimea, and Russia is likely to take further military actions in Crimea, and the four other Ukrainian oblasts are the subject of intensive fighting. There are continuing abuses against foreigners and the local population by the occupation authorities in these regions, particularly against those who are seen as challenging Russia’s authority.

The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv continues to provide consular services to U.S. citizens in Crimea as well as four other Ukrainian oblasts partially occupied by Russia – Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhya, although the ongoing conflict severely restricts the Embassy’s ability to provide services in these areas.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Russia.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

If you want to be on the safe side, stay away from countries which governments are unpredictable. It's not only about Russia and Ukraine, but also about such countries like North Korea and China. And of course Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran...
Why should you go there? For what?
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Why would anyone in their right mind go to Russia right now? Your gonna be in Russian Jail and wind up as political prisoner.
The U.S embassy can't get you out.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Huddo
Freshman Poster

Post by Huddo »

I’ve been to Russia recently to visit my GF. I was expecting more scrutiny in customs, but sailed through like always, in fact they seemed more welcoming than usual. I got the sense that the state wants to see tourists visiting so to give the impression that life is normal for it’s citizens. Saying that I’d heed the warnings above. As a regular nobody there’s probably a .01 percent chance you’ll run into trouble with the authorities, but you never know.

I’ve posted this before, an American friend travelled to see his fiancé and he was held for an hour while his phone was confiscated and inspected. He was cleared and then went on his way. My advice is to bring a clean burner phone and apply for a visa with a new email address. I have another American friend who’s about to spend 3 months in Russia with a new GF and has booked an apartment in Moscow. Both of these guys have vast experience traveling in FSU countries.

In my circle of experienced FSU daters nothing much has changed due to the war. They are still traveling to Russia and Ukraine and it’s been smooth sailing so far. Two are in Ukraine now, one visiting his fiancé in Kharkiv and the other is meeting women in Odessa. They have been mixing it up a bit, some will visit her in her country and some will meet in a third country like Turkey.

If you’re looking to visit a FSU country for dating don’t talk about western women or feminism in a negative light, you’ll be disappointed with a FSU woman’s reaction to this statement. They will see you as a gullible reject who’s been influenced by the scam romance industry propaganda. You need to distance yourself from this industry and enter through the real FSU dating circle and culture.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Huddo,

Thank you. I'm married and no. I am not planning on traveling to Russia but because of the war I was curious of other people experience.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

@Huddo

Sounds like it's still safe for Americans to travel to Russia..that's cool.
But I am worried if the TSA or the CIA hold returning Americans from Russia in detention.,.. for being a Russian spy.. You never know what
the Feds back home might do to you.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Huddo wrote:
February 14th, 2023, 12:17 pm
I’ve been to Russia recently to visit my GF. I was expecting more scrutiny in customs, but sailed through like always, in fact they seemed more welcoming than usual. I got the sense that the state wants to see tourists visiting so to give the impression that life is normal for it’s citizens. Saying that I’d heed the warnings above. As a regular nobody there’s probably a .01 percent chance you’ll run into trouble with the authorities, but you never know.

I’ve posted this before, an American friend travelled to see his fiancé and he was held for an hour while his phone was confiscated and inspected. He was cleared and then went on his way. My advice is to bring a clean burner phone and apply for a visa with a new email address. I have another American friend who’s about to spend 3 months in Russia with a new GF and has booked an apartment in Moscow. Both of these guys have vast experience traveling in FSU countries.

In my circle of experienced FSU daters nothing much has changed due to the war. They are still traveling to Russia and Ukraine and it’s been smooth sailing so far. Two are in Ukraine now, one visiting his fiancé in Kharkiv and the other is meeting women in Odessa. They have been mixing it up a bit, some will visit her in her country and some will meet in a third country like Turkey.

If you’re looking to visit a FSU country for dating don’t talk about western women or feminism in a negative light, you’ll be disappointed with a FSU woman’s reaction to this statement. They will see you as a gullible reject who’s been influenced by the scam romance industry propaganda. You need to distance yourself from this industry and enter through the real FSU dating circle and culture.
Good info and advice. Thank you.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

No poontang is worth going to Russia now. Maybe once Putin is gone, but I don't think it's a good idea to be an American there when there are plenty of folks who have had relatives killed by American weapons.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Anyone in Russia now? Or traveling to it?

Post by Winston »

You don't have to fly directly into Russia. You can go to Latvia and catch a bus to Moscow. It's very comfortable and European quality. Is Russia issuing tourist visas now? You can check to see if they are or not at www.gotorussia.com. That's the agency I always used.

Apparently, gotorussia.com does not recommend going to Russia now. They pop up this message on their site.
GoToRussia.com is a project of Visa Express, Inc., a US-based corporation, providing travel and visa services since 1998. We have Russian, Ukrainian and American employees and our company history began at a time when Russia-US relations were on an exciting upswing, led by two charismatic presidents — Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin.

Unfortunately, times have changed, and Russia is now ruled by an autocratic leader, who destroyed all liberal and democratic institutes, installed corrupt loyalists in all powerful positions, got rid of free elections and an independent judicial system, jailed opposition activists and caused the largest brain-drain immigration in the country’s history.

We deplore Russia’s war against Ukraine and the annexation of its territories, beginning with the Crimea in 2014. We believe in Ukraine’s right of self-determination and trust that Russia will lose in this awful conflict and will never be able to force itself onto any more countries or territories.

As for what used to be our core business — if you have friends or relatives in Russia and would like to go visit them, we are still able to assist with entry visas. We do continue issuing visas as we understand that many families are divided between the countries and it would be inhumane to sever connections now, when they’re needed more than ever. However, if you’re planning a leisure trip to Russia at this time, we would not want to help you — now is not a good time to spend your vacation money in Russia.

We donate part of our profits to support the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

Alex Khodorkovsky, President and CEO
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

I do not advise to travel to Russia right now. If Russia gets into a hot war with NATO then any citizen of a NATO member nation is at risk of arrest and detention.

Just like the Americans interned Japanese during WWII.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Voyager1 wrote:
March 1st, 2023, 7:46 am
I do not advise to travel to Russia right now. If Russia gets into a hot war with NATO then any citizen of a NATO member nation is at risk of arrest and detention....Just like the Americans interned Japanese during WWII.
Japan is not a NATO member, but also considered by Russia to be a 'hostile' country.

Regardless your citizenship, if you want to be safe, stay away from Russia and of course also from Ukraine, Moldovia, just too dangerous.
Why to look for trouble?

If you don't have relatives or a business there and are merely a tourist, choose another destination for your vacation.