We are more like chimps than we think

Discuss nature, animals, wildlife and ecological issues. Share your nature photography and videos. Talk about hiking, camping and exploring national parks.
Mr. Mistoffelees
Freshman Poster

We are more like chimps than we think

Post by Mr. Mistoffelees »

Heeeeeeeeeeey y'all! I just wanted to make a quick thing about chimps and how similar we actually are to them. I don't just mean in a genetic sense, but I mean in terms of our behaviours. 🧐

I watched a documentary a while ago narrated by David Attenborough. It was sooooooo beautiful it had me crying my eyes out! It was almost Shakespearean with the amount of tragedy and heartbreak. It was obvs real, but could've easily been one of the finest works of Shakespeare. Very emotional 😢

Basically, what happened is there was this alpha who was getting older and was frequently challenged by a younger chimp. The alpha put the young chimp in his place several times. And so the young chimp would gather support and allies from other younger chimps in the community in order to overthrow the alpha and his friends.

Eventually the alpha grew older and lost a lot of his strength. His younger challenger beat him I combat and as the old alpha was mortally wounded and dying one of his friends was stroking his head and comforting him until the moment he passed away and then you could see the pain he suffered as a result. There was something very beautiful about that, something very human. It was very touching. 😭

Once the new alpha had established his position he decided to take whichever females he wanted, roughly raping them and treating them horrendously. So much so that the female chimps all ganged up on him and subdued him, which resulted in this particular community of chimps becoming like a matriarchy with the new alpha kind of becoming excommunicated.

All of their interactions and behaviours reminded me of simplistic versions of human behaviours and reinforced the idea in my mind that we are just animals with similar desires and behaviours exhibited by chimps. There is something very human in their behaviours.

They are capable of barbaric acts, as we are. Also they are capable of great acts of compassion, as we are. It's strikingly clear that even though we are more evolved and capable of greater forms of expression such as theatre and the arts, we are still animals on God's planet. We have more commonalities with these animals than we think or would care to admit... 🥺
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: We are more like chimps than we think

Post by kangarunner »

Of course. Take away the modern luxuries and conveniences of civilization and go back to the basics. In chimps there's dominance hierarchies with a leader and beta subordinates.

Literally put 10 guys and 10 girls on an island. Watch what happens. Out of the 10 guys a leader will emerge and then there will be subordinates.

Jordan Peterson talks about how serotonin levels are directly correlated with your position in this dominance hierarchy. If you have a low position, your serotinin level will suffer. If you have a high position, you'll have high serotonin levels.

If you only read this, then just read this: If you're low status in a hierarchy, then GTFO of that hierarchy and find another hierarchy in another part of the world where you're status is higher.

America will be hell on Earth if you're a low ranking man. I've been shit on my entire life in America. And now that I'm out of that country, I have a better life and I'm happier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.

Return to “Nature, Animals, Wildlife, Ecology”