Why Do We Hate Insects?

Discuss nature, animals, wildlife and ecological issues. Share your nature photography and videos. Talk about hiking, camping and exploring national parks.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Why Do We Hate Insects?

Post by Pixel--Dude »

No, this isn't a thread about Mercer :lol: although he is a detestable insect. :lol:

I was just thinking about animals lately and animal life and how people fight for animal rights and what not. I know this one might seem a bit mad, but hear me out. I'm not protesting for insect rights here. I'm just trying to understand the logic of why we hold animals and insects to different standards.

I will start by saying that I try my best to make a conscious effort not to kill anything at all. I think each living creature has value and I try not to interfere with nature too much. I don't like spiders, they scare the shit out of me, but if one is in my home I will leave it be so long as it isn't actually on me. Same with flies, they annoy me to f**k! But plenty of people annoy me too and I can't just go around killing everyone who annoyed me because there would hardly be anyone left alive.

Mosquitoes and anything that tries to parasite from me are fair game as fair as I'm concerned. I swat those little bastards mercilessly. Same with any animal that tried to attack me. I would kill it. I believe self defence makes killing permissable.

But what about the mentality of people as a whole? A lot of people value the lives of animals like cats and dogs, but don't value the lives of insects and these same warriors of justice who protest for animal rights and what not will still be the same kind of people that will mercilessly step on a spider because they don't like spiders. Even though the spider was just minding its own business. :cry:

Is it because they are smaller and therefore more insignificant? This is an erroneous assumption! Everything has a place in nature's ecosystem. Nature is a delicate balance and everything plays a part.

Is it because insects can spread disease? Animals also can spread disease.

Is it because they have no purpose? Who are we to say that? Most of us go out and work jobs to earn pieces of paper, does that serve any purpose?

Is it because they are annoying? They can be. But so can my pet dog. That doesn't mean I should kill it for getting on my nerves.

Is it for pest control? Well animals can be pests as well like Cornfed mentioned in the thread about hunting animals for fun. Remember these are questions directed at people who value all animal life, but not the life of insects.

Is it because people are idiots? Most likely. It makes no sense to be frightened of an insect a 100th of your size. Let's hope if extraterrestrials do visit earth that they don't see humanity as insignificant as humanity sees insects.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Why Do We Hate Insects?

Post by Pixel--Dude »

https://www.indy100.com/science-tech/sc ... 2665816424

I just saw this article about a giant spider fossil that was found. As an arachnophobe the prospect of this is absolutely terrifying. :shock:

I've looked into spiders quite a bit and as creatures I find them absolutely fascinating, yet at the same time I have an irrational fear of them. I think my fear would at least be somewhat justified if I at least lived in a country like Australia where spiders can be deadly, or if they were the size of the one in the article. But in the UK they're not even deadly or that big. What the f**k is wrong with me? I know my fear is irrational, but at the same time I can't stand the idea of having a spider on me at all. They just look horrific.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 4:20 am

I just saw this article about a giant spider fossil that was found. As an arachnophobe the prospect of this is absolutely terrifying. :shock:

I've looked into spiders quite a bit and as creatures I find them absolutely fascinating, yet at the same time I have an irrational fear of them. I think my fear would at least be somewhat justified if I at least lived in a country like Australia where spiders can be deadly, or if they were the size of the one in the article. But in the UK they're not even deadly or that big. What the f**k is wrong with me? I know my fear is irrational, but at the same time I can't stand the idea of having a spider on me at all. They just look horrific.
I know it is boring but the answer might be evolution. Like having fear of snakes.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

galii wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 5:43 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:

I know it is boring but the answer might be evolution. Like having fear of snakes.
Could be. I've thought about this. How come these phobias only affect certain people though? I plan on curing my arachnophobia through exposure therapy.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 6:57 am
galii wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 5:43 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:

Could be. I've thought about this. How come these phobias only affect certain people though? I plan on curing my arachnophobia through exposure therapy.
Nature has variety. Some guys are gay but most are hetero. We are also afraid of heights though for good reason. I would like to 'cure' that aswell.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 3:28 am
Mosquitoes and anything that tries to parasite from me are fair game as fair as I'm concerned. I swat those little bastards mercilessly. Same with any animal that tried to attack me. I would kill it. I believe self defence makes killing permissable.
This is the point. Anything that is purely harmful should be hated. Cockroaches may not attack you directly, but they are purely harmful indirectly by crawling on food and making it dirty or infecting it with germs. Similarly modern scum are purely harmful in my experience at least since 2010, so it is perfectly morally permissible to kill them (but not recommended for legal reasons).
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

fschmidt wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 3:28 am
This is the point. Anything that is purely harmful should be hated. Cockroaches may not attack you directly, but they are purely harmful indirectly by crawling on food and making it dirty or infecting it with germs. Similarly modern scum are purely harmful in my experience at least since 2010, so it is perfectly morally permissible to kill them (but not recommended for legal reasons).
There are some people who are no better than insects. Only difference being that at least most insects have a purpose, whereas a lot of modern scum do not :lol:
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

When I was in the Amazon the insects were biting 24/7. I don't know how people there get use to it. But, the insects are an orchestra of the jungle, they make different music at different times of the day and night. Some of them are toxic. There are these orangish spiders that hang out in bananas, if one of them bites you, you have 5 minutes to live.
Last edited by MrPeabody on October 11th, 2023, 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

MrPeabody wrote:
October 10th, 2023, 3:00 am
When I was in the Amazon the insects were biting 24/7. I don't know how people there get use to it. But, the insects are an orchestra of the jungle, they make different noises at different times of the day and night. Some of them are toxic. There are these orangish bugs that hang out in bananas, if one of them bites you, you have 5 minutes to live.
Since you weigh about 20 pounds it's more like 60 seconds in your case.
Time to Hide!