Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis

Discuss nature, animals, wildlife and ecological issues. Share your nature photography and videos. Talk about hiking, camping and exploring national parks.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis

Post by Lucas88 »

Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights, is a phenomenon seen in the high-latitude regions of the north in which brilliant lights in the sky shimmer and form dynamic patterns. It is the result of an interaction between the solar wind and the Earth's magnetosphere.

Here is a particularly impressive photo of Aurora Borealis taken from Östersund, Sweden:

Two videos of Aurora Borealis in the skies of Swedish Lapland and Finland respectively:

Wow! Aurora Borealis with its shimmering curtains and spirals looks so mysterious and makes the landscape appear like some otherworldly ethereal realm. :o

Aurora Borealis is frequently visible in the northern regions of Scandinavia, Iceland, Greenland and Canada.

I've never seen Aurora Borealis in the UK though. What royally sucks about the UK is that the place is too far north to enjoy a good Mediterranean climate but at the same time not north enough to experience fascinating visual phenomenon like the one in question with any significant frequency. Scandinavia looks far more scenically beautiful than the UK.

What many people don't realize is that there is also a similar phenomenon witnessed in the high-latitude regions of the southern hemisphere known as Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights. Aurora Australis can be seen from Tasmania, New Zealand, southern Chile (e.g., Punta Arenas), southern Argentina (most notably from Ushuaia), and, of course, Antarctica.

An extremely colorful purple- and yellow-tinged Aurora Australis captured in New Zealand:

Another one taken from the region of Magallanes (South America):

Finally, a video of an extremely lush and dynamic Aurora Australis over Antarctica:

When people imagine South America, they usually think of tropical countries and rainforests. However, the southernmost region of the continent lies just outside of the Antarctic Circle and there you find extremely southerly cities with cold climates, most notably Punta Arenas in Chile and Ushuaia in Argentina.

Punta Arenas, Chile during winter:

For a few years now Punta Arenas has fascinated me. It's a Latin American city with a population of 124,000 situated right at the edge of the Earth and in a frozen wasteland. By the way, it's also extremely safe and economically prosperous and receives migration from other parts of Chile and Latin America. 8)

Has anybody here seen the Auroras? If so, from which geographical location?
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
September 24th, 2023, 6:00 am
Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights, is a phenomenon seen in the high-latitude regions of the north in which brilliant lights in the sky shimmer and form dynamic patterns. It is the result of an interaction between the solar wind and the Earth's magnetosphere.

Here is a particularly impressive photo of Aurora Borealis taken from Östersund, Sweden:

Two videos of Aurora Borealis in the skies of Swedish Lapland and Finland respectively:

Wow! Aurora Borealis with its shimmering curtains and spirals looks so mysterious and makes the landscape appear like some otherworldly ethereal realm. :o

Aurora Borealis is frequently visible in the northern regions of Scandinavia, Iceland, Greenland and Canada.

I've never seen Aurora Borealis in the UK though. What royally sucks about the UK is that the place is too far north to enjoy a good Mediterranean climate but at the same time not north enough to experience fascinating visual phenomenon like the one in question with any significant frequency. Scandinavia looks far more scenically beautiful than the UK.

What many people don't realize is that there is also a similar phenomenon witnessed in the high-latitude regions of the southern hemisphere known as Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights. Aurora Australis can be seen from Tasmania, New Zealand, southern Chile (e.g., Punta Arenas), southern Argentina (most notably from Ushuaia), and, of course, Antarctica.

An extremely colorful purple- and yellow-tinged Aurora Australis captured in New Zealand:

Another one taken from the region of Magallanes (South America):

Finally, a video of an extremely lush and dynamic Aurora Australis over Antarctica:

When people imagine South America, they usually think of tropical countries and rainforests. However, the southernmost region of the continent lies just outside of the Antarctic Circle and there you find extremely southerly cities with cold climates, most notably Punta Arenas in Chile and Ushuaia in Argentina.

Punta Arenas, Chile during winter:

For a few years now Punta Arenas has fascinated me. It's a Latin American city with a population of 124,000 situated right at the edge of the Earth and in a frozen wasteland. By the way, it's also extremely safe and economically prosperous and receives migration from other parts of Chile and Latin America. 8)

Has anybody here seen the Auroras? If so, from which geographical location?
I've always wanted to see the Aurora Borealis. There are places where you can rent a cabin with a glass ceiling so you can watch it. I can't remember where though because I saw this a long time ago. Also you have to go at certain times because you could rent the cabin and the miss the Aurora.

I do think they are magical and give off an ethereal sensation. The pictures and videos you shared were really cool.

@Winston
@Cornfed
@gsjackson

Does Aurora Borealis work on flat earth? What explanation is offered for this phenomenon on a flat earth model?
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.

Return to “Nature, Animals, Wildlife, Ecology”