Dominican Republic vs. Brazil?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
scott529
Freshman Poster

Dominican Republic vs. Brazil?

Post by scott529 »

I'm a black man, mid 30s, living in New York City...and Dominican Republic is currently my favorite getaway. The country is loaded with my ideal type: athletic, friendly, intelligent, sexy, approachable black women. For anyone who shares this taste, D.R. is a land of plenty.

Considering this attraction to foreign black women, you can probably understand why I also have a desire to visit Brazil. The main hesitation for me is the cost. For the price of an airline ticket to Brazil, I could pay for airfare AND a whole week in D.R.

So I just want to get some insight to see if Brazil is worth the additional travel time and costs.

I'm curious if anyone here has been to both Dominican Republic and Brazil (I'm interested in Salvador, Bahia). If so, could you fill me in on the differences (if any) on the general vibes. Of course, I understand we're dealing different national languages, but aside from that, how would you compare the 2 locations from a social perspective?

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Go to Dominican Republic, especially Sosua which is majority Black. Just stay away from the areas known for P4P/Prostitution to keep a pure mind.

http://www.dominicandatingconnection.com/

DR and locations in Central America are under consideration but I am the opposite of you and want a light/white skinned woman and Brazil is the best country IMHO for such a thing. Argentina would be next, but I picked Brazil because mixed hue couples are not unusual.

Good Luck and keep us posted...
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Just a side note that there are legally no such people in the Dominican Republic as "Blacks" as a separate ethnic group/hyphenated "nationality". All people there are Dominicanos. In legal documents, people' s complexion is listed as "Indian skin, light/dark".

A Dominican citizen does not grow up with a sense of being black as a "nationality"- as in the USA.

It's important to leave the colonial, British-created sense of ethnic identity behind when one leaves the US.

Many Dominicanas are very black in color, though.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Post by Rocky Top »

ladislav wrote:Just a side note that there are legally no such people in the Dominican Republic as "Blacks" as a separate ethnic group/hyphenated "nationality". All people there are Dominicanos. In legal documents, people' s complexion is listed as "Indian skin, light/dark".

A Dominican citizen does not grow up with a sense of being black as a "nationality"- as in the USA.

It's important to leave the colonial, British-created sense of ethnic identity behind when one leaves the US.

They're black/African ddescendants. Just because they may self-identify themselves as Indian, that doesn't make it factually so.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

ladislav wrote:Just a side note that there are legally no such people in the Dominican Republic as "Blacks" as a separate ethnic group/hyphenated "nationality". All people there are Dominicanos. In legal documents, people' s complexion is listed as "Indian skin, light/dark".

Are you sure??? They sure do seem to distinguish at the extreme ends at least. I knew one family who had two sons - the slightly younger one was dark carmel colored and very popular in school while the older one was darker black and got bullied and called names frequently by his classmates according to his parents. They told me it was because of the way he looked - his dark skin. This was in Santo Domingo.

Also, the media and upper middle class is full of light carmel colored and even white people. I noticed in the richest areas the light skinned people to a large extent seemed to keep to themselves and darker skinned blacks were rare in these areas. Lighter skinned girls I met often told me they did not wanna date very dark skinned guys or Haitians. But others were open to it, especially if they were from a poorer background. But then again, the really light skinned ones usually weren't from such a poor background.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

djfourmoney wrote:Go to Dominican Republic, especially Sosua which is majority Black. Just stay away from the areas known for P4P/p4p to keep a pure mind.

DR and locations in Central America are under consideration but I am the opposite of you and want a light/white skinned woman and Brazil is the best country IMHO for such a thing. Argentina would be next, but I picked Brazil because mixed hue couples are not unusual.

Hmm, Sosua is pretty much dominated by P4P. Perhaps if he wants to go to that region, he should stick with Puerto Plata. Hard to keep a pure mind in the DR. P4P seems to be embedded in much of the male culture. But of course there are normal girls to be found and not all of them are after the gringo dollars. You just have to pick carefully and avoid P4P regions (like Sosua). I would also steer clear of Santiago and that region. According to local reputation anyway, girls there are perhaps the most money hungry or at least place the highest value on themselves due to their lighter average skin tone. I don't buy Lad's color doesn't matter there theory. It always plays a role.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Rocky Top wrote:

They're black/African ddescendants. Just because they may self-identify themselves as Indian, that doesn't make it factually so.
Some do identify as such, but Black should not be used as a backslash to precede "African" in the same definitive token. I'm sorry. Black is an ethnicity which is so vastly monopolized in America (alas nobody else can and should not claim it that's not American but of African diaspora outside of Africa). I don't even look at "Blacks" in Canada as "Black"...as most of them are 2nd-generation Canadians with West Indian and/or African parents. Being "Black" has it's own physical phenotype..it's own incorrigible backwards modern culture (e.g. I will spare reDUMBdant details here)...as well as its antiquated, superior culture from the past (i.e. Garrett Morgan, Marvin Gaye, Grover Washington Jr, Wynton Marsalis, Take 6, Berry Gordy, George Washington Carver, Nat Turner, Marcus Garvey (even though he didn't like mulatto or light skinned Blacks too much), et. al. ). Trust: I can identify a non-Black American of African diaspora in seconds even if they don't open their mouth, but if they did, it would usually help out in magnitude. Taking the redpill will give one such skill; trust. I think Dr. Cornel West and I pretty much agree when it comes the aforementioned.

It's almost like trying to compare a Guyanese Indian (which had ancestors from India directly) to an Indian from any province in India; it's that type of dichotomy persevering.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Rock wrote:

Are you sure??? They sure do seem to distinguish at the extreme ends at least. I knew one family who had two sons - the slightly younger one was dark carmel colored and very popular in school while the older one was darker black and got bullied and called names frequently by his classmates according to his parents. They told me it was because of the way he looked - his dark skin. This was in Santo Domingo.

Also, the media and upper middle class is full of light caramel colored and even white people. I noticed in the richest areas the light skinned people to a large extent seemed to keep to themselves and darker skinned blacks were rare in these areas. Lighter skinned girls I met often told me they did not wanna date very dark skinned guys or Haitians. But others were open to it, especially if they were from a poorer background. But then again, the really light skinned ones usually weren't from such a poor background.
Just because some people believe in the color-complex SINdrome doesn't take away from cultural and race identity of what the individual -> family -> community still makes up. There are people teased in S. Korea for being fat, does that mean they belong to N. Korea just because there are fat N. Koreans that speak the same language but have different nationalities? Oh how you are doing today, Rock? *No war here, just my .02 cents*
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I was just chatting with a girl in the DR with dark skin, but the shape of her features is very caucasian. She's also tall and gorgeous. I think the DR will be my next vacation destination :D
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

djfourmoney wrote:Go to Dominican Republic, especially Sosua which is majority Black. Just stay away from the areas known for P4P/p4p to keep a pure mind.

White women in Brazil who are middle class still don't want to have to bring a Black man home to their parents and explain why she his with him..Afro-Brazilians and Nordestinos are mostly associated with the Favelas,crime,drug trafficking,poverty and Murders in the eyes of White Brazilians and they won't differentiate a Black American from Afro-Brazilians...I have English students who are white Brazilian women..and they told me i don't look American..and i ask them why?..they refuse to answer me or say they don't know why..ummmm ok. Most Pardo women tend to date other Pardo men or white men..they don't want their children to be any darker because they know that Blacks in Brazil have less opportunities.If white men wanted Afro-Brazilian women..Afro-Brazilian men would be left in the dust..White Brazilian women only f**k with Black men who kick balls into nets for millions..other than that....they don't even look at Black men.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!