Out of curiosity...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Out of curiosity...

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

I am wondering, if I were to move to Mexico permanently, how it would be viewed if I met a girl that turned out to be 10 years younger than I (I turned 25 this past Friday)? Would it be acceptable in the eyes of society in general and the law? I am just curious. I am not asking because I want to knowingly get involved with someone that young (I don't); I just want to know what I would be up against if (and only IF) this happens to me in Mexico.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Out of curiosity...

Post by Jester »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:I am wondering, if I were to move to Mexico permanently, how it would be viewed if I met a girl that turned out to be 10 years younger than I (I turned 25 this past Friday)? Would it be acceptable in the eyes of society in general and the law? I am just curious. I am not asking because I want to knowingly get involved with someone that young (I don't); I just want to know what I would be up against if (and only IF) this happens to me in Mexico.
Normal for a girl that age to have a novio at that age.... her quincenera is that age, she is supposed to be available to be looked at by men. One of her grandmothers probably got married at that age. So she will enjoy your attention and conversation, if you can open smoothly in an appropriate setting. But you're right, family is the concern.

From Mexicans and Peruvians I know here in Southern Cal.....

I suspect upperclass girls will consider you interesting but off limits, unless you have some "social proof", i.e. a cool car or cool job.

Lower class and girls will be interested, but you will need to go through the family, traditional courtship, if you want to have a relationship that's real and in the open.

Good luck!

Hope AIM, Falcon and others with personal knowledge will weigh in.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Re: Out of curiosity...

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Jester wrote:
The_Hero_of_Men wrote:I am wondering, if I were to move to Mexico permanently, how it would be viewed if I met a girl that turned out to be 10 years younger than I (I turned 25 this past Friday)? Would it be acceptable in the eyes of society in general and the law? I am just curious. I am not asking because I want to knowingly get involved with someone that young (I don't); I just want to know what I would be up against if (and only IF) this happens to me in Mexico.
Normal for a girl that age to have a novio at that age.... her quincenera is that age, she is supposed to be available to be looked at by men. One of her grandmothers probably got married at that age. So she will enjoy your attention and conversation, if you can open smoothly in an appropriate setting. But you're right, family is the concern.

From Mexicans and Peruvians I know here in Southern Cal.....

I suspect upperclass girls will consider you interesting but off limits, unless you have some "social proof", i.e. a cool car or cool job.

Lower class and girls will be interested, but you will need to go through the family, traditional courtship, if you want to have a relationship that's real and in the open.

Good luck!

Hope AIM, Falcon and others with personal knowledge will weigh in.
Are you sure that her parents would NOT want to put a bullet in my head or hack off my head with a machete because I am dating their 15 year old daughter? I half expected you guys to say something like "WTF dude!? Don't mess with a 15 year old!" However, I did read on Wikipedia that the federal age of (sexual) consent in Mexico is whenever the girl hits puberty... Is this true?

Also, isn't a quinceñera the Latin American/Mexican equivalent of a Western girl's "Sweet 16"?
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Yes, the "coming of age" for women is 15 years old in Latin America, not 16. It's a big thing for Latino girls actually. At that junction, my wife Monica was gifted a cruise around the US and she still fondly recalls being abroad, on a ship and kissed for the first time (by an Italian, no less!).

So no, if you hook up with a quinceanera and 10 years older, you will definitely not be frowned upon. Most Latino families also set the time when they will be OK with their daughters losing their virginity at 15. In Italy or US, that age would be...never! :-)

My only question for you would be: how much in common would a 25 years old man have with a 15 years old girl? She will still be going to school, immature and not much of a conversation apart from shopping, cheesy pop, teenage flicks etc.