Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
User avatar
WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1790
Joined: April 25th, 2022, 3:48 am

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by WanderingProtagonist »

MattHanson1990 wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 7:15 am
walrusface wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 4:35 pm
Spain is western Europe so I've never really assumed that they would be similar to Latin America apart from the language. And not every South American country would be the same, for example Argentina and Brazil seem to be places where you hear more feminist shit coming from. I know a Spanish girl who lives here in the UK and she seems nice. I also speak to a Peruvian girl online, and while she has always seemed really nice, even she shared some lame video about the 'wage gap' to her facebook, so it does seem that the feminism disease is spreading over the continent unfortunately.
In most cases feminism doesn't thrive in developing countries because governments usually are so "inept" they can't enforce feminist policies effectively, even if they import them from the U.S. Anyways, like I said earlier, I haven't seen much feminist BS in Mexico. Though it's 2018, I still have yet to see a Mexican girl talk endlessly about stuff like the "wage gap" or #MeToo. And you're also free to criticize liberalism all you want without worrying about "offending" certain groups of people. In other words, there's no political correctness rampant in Mexico.
I know this is a few years old but feminism definitely exist in Mexico especially when there was that high femicide thing going on down there with shit tons of women and girls being randomly killed. A bunch of Hispanic feminist were protesting that. Granted it may not be out of control like how it is here in the West but still it's there.
User avatar
Shemp
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1652
Joined: November 22nd, 2014, 7:45 pm

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by Shemp »

I've been interested in Argentina, especially Buenos Aires, since 1990, when it was undergoing another of its periodic crises and I was desperate to retire young. No internet then but i was living in Washington DC and Clarín newspaper was readily available, where I could read about bincredible bargains in real estate in the classifed ads pages (you younguns may not know what a paper newspaper and classified ad is). But I never made it to Argentina and its been one crisis after another since then. Maybe someday it will stabilize. It a long flight and I don't want to be screwing around with street robbery, relying on Western Union or crypto because ATMs and credit cards give a bad rate, prices changing constantly, having to carry giant wads of cash because the biggest bill is worth like $1, etc, etc. Why can't they just be poor but semi stable like Paraguay?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3188
Joined: October 23rd, 2015, 2:11 am

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by yick »

Shemp wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 1:21 am
I've been interested in Argentina, especially Buenos Aires, since 1990, when it was undergoing another of its periodic crises and I was desperate to retire young. No internet then but i was living in Washington DC and Clarín newspaper was readily available, where I could read about bincredible bargains in real estate in the classifed ads pages (you younguns may not know what a paper newspaper and classified ad is). But I never made it to Argentina and its been one crisis after another since then. Maybe someday it will stabilize. It a long flight and I don't want to be screwing around with street robbery, relying on Western Union or crypto because ATMs and credit cards give a bad rate, prices changing constantly, having to carry giant wads of cash because the biggest bill is worth like $1, etc, etc. Why can't they just be poor but semi stable like Paraguay?
Argentina is a good choice on the surface but like you say - it's perpetually f***ed and though it was once safe it isn't anymore really and it is the one country in the region that suffers from Okupas or home invasions where you are gone for a week on holiday and you come back and there is a family living there - you are doubly vulnerable as a foreigner with that happening to you and try getting your place back! but there are great property bargains but then there are a lot of property bargains all over South America - if you go to southern Brazil - you can get something nice for about 50000 dollars in a smaller city which will be safe and with better amenities and infrastructure - I would say southern Brazil in a smaller city is a pretty safe bet, there, Colombia and Peru would be my choices.

Argentina is a risk and I like Argentinians - they're a sociable and friendly lot in the main but live there with their constantly f***ed up economy? No thanks - mind you, I think the best training anyone has had to traverse Argentina is you! pre-war Ukraine would be good preparation towards living in Argentina.
rudder
Junior Poster
Posts: 788
Joined: June 6th, 2013, 11:38 am

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by rudder »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 4:47 pm
MattHanson1990 wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am
Spanish women may in fact be worse than American women. These past few years, feminism and misandry have taken on whole new levels in Spain, well before the #MeToo movement began in late 2017.
I was in Barcelona in March of this year just stopping over for a leisurely couple of weeks. I was shocked at how man-hating that place has become.

That city in particular attracts both lesbians and virulent feminists from all over the West. It was so bad that I never want to go back.

The women in their thirties are not nearly as bad, but they have issues from their days of riding that carousel and thinking that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also noticed that the Sugar Baby phenomenon is exploding there among the 20 somethings. It is a sick society.

I did meet one great girl who was a hotel receptionist, but she was from Madrid. Hopefully that is a sign that Madrid is not as deep down the cunthole as Barca.
I happened to look at the wrong screen at the wrong time the other day, and saw a porno where the guy was walking the girl around with a leash on all fours like a dog out in public in some big plaza in Madrid. They had her in a tight mini skirt lifted up with her bum exposed and her mouth gagged. This was in front of big crowds of people. Some white knight on a bicycle peddles over and tries to intervene, and the producer of the film just keeps saying that it's for an "art project". Then some young, foaming-at-the-mouth feminist lady angrily approaches the filmmakers, "Then why don't you put yourself in her place instead of her!" I thought it was pretty freaking funny.

I lived in Spain once for a year, and it reminded me exactly of how all those women sound there. One time I had a verbal berating from one such crazed, arrogant lady in a club who, after initiating small talk with her, began to angrily lecture me about not having enough experience in life or something along those lines. Another time I went into some cell phone shop to inquire about phone plans and the girl working there also gave me a verbal beating out of left field. I wasn't even hitting on any of these women, which is why these experiences still stick out in my memory. Don't these Spanish women realize they're a freaking joke, and their country is basically the brothel capital of the world, because their men are totally fed up?
User avatar
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2507
Joined: November 17th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

rudder wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 9:50 am
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 4:47 pm
MattHanson1990 wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am
Spanish women may in fact be worse than American women. These past few years, feminism and misandry have taken on whole new levels in Spain, well before the #MeToo movement began in late 2017.
I was in Barcelona in March of this year just stopping over for a leisurely couple of weeks. I was shocked at how man-hating that place has become.

That city in particular attracts both lesbians and virulent feminists from all over the West. It was so bad that I never want to go back.

The women in their thirties are not nearly as bad, but they have issues from their days of riding that carousel and thinking that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also noticed that the Sugar Baby phenomenon is exploding there among the 20 somethings. It is a sick society.

I did meet one great girl who was a hotel receptionist, but she was from Madrid. Hopefully that is a sign that Madrid is not as deep down the cunthole as Barca.
I happened to look at the wrong screen at the wrong time the other day, and saw a porno where the guy was walking the girl around with a leash on all fours like a dog out in public in some big plaza in Madrid. They had her in a tight mini skirt lifted up with her bum exposed and her mouth gagged. This was in front of big crowds of people. Some white knight on a bicycle peddles over and tries to intervene, and the producer of the film just keeps saying that it's for an "art project". Then some young, foaming-at-the-mouth feminist lady angrily approaches the filmmakers, "Then why don't you put yourself in her place instead of her!" I thought it was pretty freaking funny.

I lived in Spain once for a year, and it reminded me exactly of how all those women sound there. One time I had a verbal berating from one such crazed, arrogant lady in a club who, after initiating small talk with her, began to angrily lecture me about not having enough experience in life or something along those lines. Another time I went into some cell phone shop to inquire about phone plans and the girl working there also gave me a verbal beating out of left field. I wasn't even hitting on any of these women, which is why these experiences still stick out in my memory. Don't these Spanish women realize they're a freaking joke, and their country is basically the brothel capital of the world, because their men are totally fed up?
Yikes! Spain is getting the "Americanization" virus. I better cross Spain off my travel list.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster
Posts: 870
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Yikes! Spain is getting the "Americanization" virus. I better cross Spain off my travel list.
I'd say at this point, Mexico is finished. But it's not just because the culture is getting more Americanized. In addition, there is a growing anti-foreigner sentiment because digital nomads flocking to Mexico during the pandemic received a lot of media attention (mostly in social media, but sometimes even the mainstream media). Prices have also been going up significantly due to inflation in general. And to make matters worse, the dollar has gone down around 13% against the Mexican peso. Right now, it's only 16.68 pesos to the dollar, and who knows if this trend is going to continue. Mind you, it was 15 to 1 when I first visited Mexico back in 2015, but I've gotten so used to the 20 to 1 exchange rate we were at in 2020—2022.
User avatar
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1075
Joined: June 3rd, 2008, 7:46 am

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by WorldTraveler »

walrusface wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 4:35 pm
Spain is western Europe so I've never really assumed that they would be similar to Latin America apart from the language. And not every South American country would be the same, for example Argentina and Brazil seem to be places where you hear more feminist shit coming from. I know a Spanish girl who lives here in the UK and she seems nice. I also speak to a Peruvian girl online, and while she has always seemed really nice, even she shared some lame video about the 'wage gap' to her facebook, so it does seem that the feminism disease is spreading over the continent unfortunately.
I have to agree with your statement that Spain is Western Europe and not Latin America. Europe and wealthy countries are going to be concerned with feminism, have too much to eat, and fat people. I would also consider most Latin American countries to be different from one another. Also a wealthy person from a Latin American country that you meet while traveling abroad is going to be very different than a poorer person back in their home country.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3188
Joined: October 23rd, 2015, 2:11 am

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by yick »

MattHanson1990 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 5:44 pm
Yikes! Spain is getting the "Americanization" virus. I better cross Spain off my travel list.
I'd say at this point, Mexico is finished. But it's not just because the culture is getting more Americanized. In addition, there is a growing anti-foreigner sentiment because digital nomads flocking to Mexico during the pandemic received a lot of media attention (mostly in social media, but sometimes even the mainstream media). Prices have also been going up significantly due to inflation in general. And to make matters worse, the dollar has gone down around 13% against the Mexican peso. Right now, it's only 16.68 pesos to the dollar, and who knows if this trend is going to continue. Mind you, it was 15 to 1 when I first visited Mexico back in 2015, but I've gotten so used to the 20 to 1 exchange rate we were at in 2020—2022.
I was in Mexico last year and I absolutely loved it, I would happily live there! Are you still there? Are you going to hang on in there or are you moving/or going to move on somewhere else?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3188
Joined: October 23rd, 2015, 2:11 am

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by yick »

WorldTraveler wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:34 am
walrusface wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 4:35 pm
Spain is western Europe so I've never really assumed that they would be similar to Latin America apart from the language. And not every South American country would be the same, for example Argentina and Brazil seem to be places where you hear more feminist shit coming from. I know a Spanish girl who lives here in the UK and she seems nice. I also speak to a Peruvian girl online, and while she has always seemed really nice, even she shared some lame video about the 'wage gap' to her facebook, so it does seem that the feminism disease is spreading over the continent unfortunately.
I have to agree with your statement that Spain is Western Europe and not Latin America. Europe and wealthy countries are going to be concerned with feminism, have too much to eat, and fat people. I would also consider most Latin American countries to be different from one another. Also a wealthy person from a Latin American country that you meet while traveling abroad is going to be very different than a poorer person back in their home country.
Spain is western Europe just like the UK is western Europe and Australia isn't but you can see plenty of similarities between the UK and Australia to see how they are culturally related. Every time I am in Latin America, I see Spanish influence and culture everywhere - of course, some parts of Latin America this influence is more pronounced than others - in the coffee triangle of Colombia and especially Manizales - that could slot right into western Spain.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster
Posts: 870
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by MattHanson1990 »

yick wrote:
March 31st, 2024, 1:49 am
MattHanson1990 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 5:44 pm
Yikes! Spain is getting the "Americanization" virus. I better cross Spain off my travel list.
I'd say at this point, Mexico is finished. But it's not just because the culture is getting more Americanized. In addition, there is a growing anti-foreigner sentiment because digital nomads flocking to Mexico during the pandemic received a lot of media attention (mostly in social media, but sometimes even the mainstream media). Prices have also been going up significantly due to inflation in general. And to make matters worse, the dollar has gone down around 13% against the Mexican peso. Right now, it's only 16.68 pesos to the dollar, and who knows if this trend is going to continue. Mind you, it was 15 to 1 when I first visited Mexico back in 2015, but I've gotten so used to the 20 to 1 exchange rate we were at in 2020—2022.
I was in Mexico last year and I absolutely loved it, I would happily live there! Are you still there? Are you going to hang on in there or are you moving/or going to move on somewhere else?
I'm going to keep my Mexico residency, but I'm also looking to get a second residency somewhere else just to keep my options open. In this day and age, it's not good to be putting all your eggs in one basket. But that said, I've been in parts of Mexico where prices are reasonable and not going up dramatically, and where the culture is staying intact.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3188
Joined: October 23rd, 2015, 2:11 am

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by yick »

MattHanson1990 wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 6:51 am
yick wrote:
March 31st, 2024, 1:49 am
MattHanson1990 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 5:44 pm
Yikes! Spain is getting the "Americanization" virus. I better cross Spain off my travel list.
I'd say at this point, Mexico is finished. But it's not just because the culture is getting more Americanized. In addition, there is a growing anti-foreigner sentiment because digital nomads flocking to Mexico during the pandemic received a lot of media attention (mostly in social media, but sometimes even the mainstream media). Prices have also been going up significantly due to inflation in general. And to make matters worse, the dollar has gone down around 13% against the Mexican peso. Right now, it's only 16.68 pesos to the dollar, and who knows if this trend is going to continue. Mind you, it was 15 to 1 when I first visited Mexico back in 2015, but I've gotten so used to the 20 to 1 exchange rate we were at in 2020—2022.
I was in Mexico last year and I absolutely loved it, I would happily live there! Are you still there? Are you going to hang on in there or are you moving/or going to move on somewhere else?
I'm going to keep my Mexico residency, but I'm also looking to get a second residency somewhere else just to keep my options open. In this day and age, it's not good to be putting all your eggs in one basket. But that said, I've been in parts of Mexico where prices are reasonable and not going up dramatically, and where the culture is staying intact.
How long have you had residency for? Is it five years residency and you can apply for citizenship? Well, I would get the passport first if you are closing in on five years.

Countries with short pathways to citizenship via residency are Argentina and Peru which come in at two years legal residency. I would consider those, legal residency is fine but being able to get citizenship is the cherry on the cake.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster
Posts: 870
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Re: Latin America is finished. Time to move to greener pasteurs

Post by MattHanson1990 »

yick wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 9:21 pm

How long have you had residency for? Is it five years residency and you can apply for citizenship? Well, I would get the passport first if you are closing in on five years.

Countries with short pathways to citizenship via residency are Argentina and Peru which come in at two years legal residency. I would consider those, legal residency is fine but being able to get citizenship is the cherry on the cake.
You get four years of temporary residency before you get the permanent residency. And to get citizenship, under most circumstances, you have to have the permanent for five years. In my case, because I got my temp residency in 2022, I can upgrade to permanent in 2026, and then citizenship in 2031.
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latin America, Mexico, Central America”