Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism (Book)

Discuss racial, ethnic and multicultural issues. Warning: The topics here are likely to be taboo, so if you are easily offended, you are better off not participating here.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism (Book)

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Book Description:

"No blacks allowed, especially after dark. This was the unwritten rule in a "sundown" town. In his trademark revelatory style, bestselling author James W. Loewen explores one of America's best-kept secrets as he unearths the making of sundown towns and discloses the fact that many white neighborhoods and suburbs are the result of years of racism and segregation. Anna, Illinois; Darien, Connecticut; and Cedar Key, Florida, are just a few examples of the thousands of all-white towns established between 1890 and 1968, many of which still exist today. White residents of these towns used any means possible -- including the law, harassment, race riots, and even murder -- to keep African Americans and other minority groups out.

Powerful and unprecedented, Sundown Towns tells the story of how these towns came into existence, what maintains them, and what to do about them. It also deepens our understanding of the role racism has played and continues to play in our society
."

Amazon.com:

Random comments:

"Growing up a white Westerner in mostly white towns, I always had the question about race relations: "Why the hell would such a high percentage of black people choose to live in nasty big cities? Why don't they move here? I won't hurt 'em. Their kids would get better educations and they'd do fine." It sounds so easy. Did any of you ever wonder that?

As Prof. Loewen documents with the greatest of care, after the Civil War that's what happened. And then, town by town, said black people were driven out and told never to return. The census figures combined with eyewitness accounts will admit of no other conclusion. Black people ended up concentrated in the only areas that were relatively safe to be black in."

"This is a great book that details the systematic forced exodus of African Americans from white society. This book helped explain in a lot of way why blacks act the way they do and why they are in the economic position they are in at this moment in history."

"Not only is this a book about the many subtle and not-so-subtle ways that minority groups (African-Americans, and to a lesser degree Asian- and Hispanic-Americans) have been kept segregated, it is a book about possible remedies that are practical in nature. There are many surprising facts, both to those who thought certain states were immune to the virus of racism that created segregated communities ("sundown rules in sundown towns") but also to those who felt some areas of the country had to be more frequently guilty of the practice of warning minorities to get out of town by sundown."
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Just found out about this book guys.... It's now on my reading list!

Here is a 1 hour long lecture from the author. The gentleman looks Amish.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/AHid
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I have the book and it's a good read. It's scary to know that things like that happened in the past--and continues on to this day in some parts of the country! I saw a CNN news report last year talking about a certain Southern town where Blacks, Latinos, and Asians avoided the place for fear of retribution and attacks and where minority couples have been driven out by the White population on numerous occasions--and they were talking about it happening during this decade! All those naive fools that think the U.S. is not a racist country should read this book and then tell me with a straight face afterwards that they still believe that!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

zboy1 wrote:I have the book and it's a good read. It's scary to know that things like that happened in the past--and continues on to this day in some parts of the country! I saw a CNN news report last year talking about a certain Southern town where Blacks, Latinos, and Asians avoided the place for fear of retribution and attacks and where minority couples have been driven out by the White population on numerous occasions--and they were talking about it happening during this decade! All those naive fools that think the U.S. is not a racist country should read this book and then tell me with a straight face afterwards that they still believe that!
+1
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Don't for a second get to thinking that this was a WHITE thing; rather, this was an ANGLO/PROTESTANT thing.

When my Polish grandmother immigrated to the United States, there were plenty of towns where her family were not able to settle, being Polish. Despite the fact that they were white, they were also both Slavic and Catholic, two things which made them unwanted in many parts of the country. In those days (the 1930s) Polish people still had a strong reputation of being a bunch of crooks and Catholics were still viewed with suspicion due to their ties to Rome and the Vatican. Why do you think the KKK disallowed Catholics from joining?

This country doesn't so much have a history of "racism" as it does of Anglo/Protestant superiority. The only whites who truly benefited from this discrimination had to have English last names and belong to a Protestant sect; anyone with a last name that had too many cz's or sz's in it was not truly welcome.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

AmericanInMexico wrote:Don't for a second get to thinking that this was a WHITE thing; rather, this was an ANGLO/PROTESTANT thing...
This country doesn't so much have a history of "racism" as it does of Anglo/Protestant superiority. T
It is still like that up until today. In fact while there have been great strides made in struggle with discrimination against Blacks and many people are now very quiet and remorseful about it, it is still pretty much open season on non Anglo white people with weird last names, etc. Also, it depends where in the country you are. Here in OH, half the state have names ending in "ski" or something of the sorts. Still, teasing and taunting are commonplace. While they would not taunt a black person, they would feel no compunctions taunting a non Anglo white person.
..he only whites who truly benefited from this discrimination had to have English last names and belong to a Protestant sect; anyone with a last name that had too many cz's or sz's in it was not truly welcome.
Question though 1) People like Brzezinski and Edward Musky- how did they get up there?
2) What would happen if a person changed his name and joined a Protestant denomination?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Anti-American
Freshman Poster

Post by Anti-American »

NorthAmericanguy wrote:
zboy1 wrote:I have the book and it's a good read. It's scary to know that things like that happened in the past--and continues on to this day in some parts of the country! I saw a CNN news report last year talking about a certain Southern town where Blacks, Latinos, and Asians avoided the place for fear of retribution and attacks and where minority couples have been driven out by the White population on numerous occasions--and they were talking about it happening during this decade! All those naive fools that think the U.S. is not a racist country should read this book and then tell me with a straight face afterwards that they still believe that!
+1
+2
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

No blacks allowed, especially after dark. This was the unwritten rule in a "sundown" town. In his trademark revelatory style, bestselling author James W. Loewen explores one of America's best-kept secrets as he unearths the making of sundown towns and discloses the fact that many white neighborhoods and suburbs are the result of years of racism and segregation.
Well duh. This is how policing has always worked in America. The system relies on the white and Asian population being largely law-abiding and the blacks and mestizos being kept in their box. The North European model - in law enforcement and in other matters - simply doesn't work for some populations, so the solution has to be segregation of one form or another. As stated in another thread, this is why there is no efficient public transportation in America, as it would mess up this segregation. Why is this thought to be a bad thing and what alternative is being proposed?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Cornfed wrote:
No blacks allowed, especially after dark. This was the unwritten rule in a "sundown" town. In his trademark revelatory style, bestselling author James W. Loewen explores one of America's best-kept secrets as he unearths the making of sundown towns and discloses the fact that many white neighborhoods and suburbs are the result of years of racism and segregation.
Well duh. This is how policing has always worked in America. The system relies on the white and Asian population being largely law-abiding and the blacks and mestizos being kept in their box. The North European model - in law enforcement and in other matters - simply doesn't work for some populations, so the solution has to be segregation of one form or another. As stated in another thread, this is why there is no efficient public transportation in America, as it would mess up this segregation. Why is this thought to be a bad thing and what alternative is being proposed?
Blacks get treated like garbage in the U.S., for example:

Black Man Buys $300,00 House For $16 - White Racist Neighbors Are Incensed

20/20 Black kids treatment vs White kids

'Majority of [Black] Americans feel Police Discrimination'

Postal Worker Fired After Racial Attack (from a 'Liberal women')
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

The blacks should've went to a country of their own, like Lincoln said back in the day. There's a reason people keep certain races out; they've been known to cause trouble. So they keep their distance. Not only that, the problem's been aggravated by the illumimati, so as to make people blind to the real threat to their well being(them).

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong in the grand scheme with natural racism. You either fight for your right to stay or move. That's why immigrants who didn't become a US citizen get attacked - they stole it. There's various karmic implications behind that stuff.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Re: Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism (Book)

Post by Mercury »

Racism has actually worsened in America! And it is continuing to worsen at an alarming rate. Since 2010, hatred towards blacks has exploded tremendously. Blacks today are getting labeled "non-human," "feral apes," and "chimpanzees." Americans today are starting to look upon blacks as a critical danger to the entire public at large.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Mercury wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 11:39 pm
Racism has actually worsened in America! And it is continuing to worsen at an alarming rate. Since 2010, hatred towards blacks has exploded tremendously. Blacks today are getting labeled "non-human," "feral apes," and "chimpanzees." Americans today are starting to look upon blacks as a critical danger to the entire public at large.
Yeah, people are finally coming to their senses.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

There is no place in the world where blacks have a better chance to become wealthy, highly educated, and successful than in the USA. That being said, America sucks for MOST people of low socioeconomic status and blacks are disproportionately among those strata.

There is a vanguard of successful black men who make their money in the USA, but build and enjoy their lives abroad. This has exploded in recent years because of YouTube. Guys like 1MasterTeacher, BrothaAbroad, Oshay Duke Jackson, and Philko are among the more popular. Black women with money are moving to Dubai, Hong Kong, Africa, and the Caribbean.

I would argue that life as a lower status white person is quite a bit more miserable than that of a middle class black person. It is just that retards often conflate race with class when it is the low class status that is the real cause of a sucky life in America.

In America, about the only real life quality issues come from poor black people. Whites only occasionally can be annoying. I once was handed keys by a white woman while I was waiting for my table at a nice restaurant. She thought I was a valet. I also dress preppy or Ivy League style so whites (and a black man once), often mistake me as an employee while I am shopping in retail stores.

Other than encountering morons like that, life is a breeze in America when you are affluent. We just have a man-hating culture and our women are the worst in the world so why would a smart man want to live there when it is far better living as an international oligarch-lite?

We live in an interconnected world now. So the only blacks who are living miserably in America, are the ones who cannot leave! Same goes for whites.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The same rule about blacks in Joeburg back in the apartheid days. Do you work and get out. Go stay in Soweto by sundown.

And it was the same in the Russian Empire with the Jews. Had to stay in the shtetl. Leave the city by sundown.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ladislav wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:43 pm
The same rule about blacks in Joeburg back in the apartheid days. Do you work and get out. Go stay in Soweto by sundown.
And did crime go up or down when that rule ended? I think up by a little, not so? Maybe there is a lesson there if we search hard enough for it.