Confused on what a skeptic is

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Confused on what a skeptic is

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I thought it was somebody that questioned everything, but the beholders don't do that. They listen to what the government media tells them and holds it as truth. Shouldnt the conspiracy theorists be called skeptics since they are the ones questioning?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Confused on what a skeptic is

Post by Winston »

Mr.Darcy wrote:I thought it was somebody that questioned everything, but the beholders don't do that. They listen to what the government media tells them and holds it as truth. Shouldnt the conspiracy theorists be called skeptics since they are the ones questioning?
Great point. Technically, yes, a skeptic is someone who questions everything. The originator of the word, Pyrrho, meant it to be so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptic

"In classical philosophy, skepticism refers to the teachings and the traits of the 'Skeptikoi', a school of philosophers of whom it was said that they 'asserted nothing but only opined.' (Liddell and Scott) In this sense, philosophical skepticism, or Pyrrhonism, is the philosophical position that one should suspend judgment in investigations.[1]"

And according to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, a skeptic is:

"One who is yet undecided as to what is true; one who is looking or inquiring for what is true; an inquirer after facts or reasons."

But those who defend the establishment and materialism have hijacked the word to mean "someone who challenges and refutes any freethinker who believes in conspiracies and challenges the establishment and mainstream media".

So as usual, America has taken a great word and flipped it to mean it's opposite, just like it did with "good and bad" which is inversed in America.

Here are some great points I collected from YouTube where people have made the same observation:

"What skeptics fail to understand is that skepticism involves being skeptical of your own position, it does not mean just being skeptical of that which you do not believe in, otherwise we are all skeptics and that renders their use of the term "skeptic" meaningless. A true skeptic casts skepticism on their own position as well. Since the Randi crowd do not employ skepticism in this respect then they are fairly termed pseudo skeptics and demean the term skepticism."

Similarly:

"The original definition of skeptic was a person who questions ALL beliefs, facts, and points-of-view. A healthy perspective in my opinion. Today's common definition of skeptic is someone who questions any belief that strays outside of the status quo, yet leaving the status quo itself completely unquestioned. Kind of a juvenile and intellectually lazy practice in my opinion."

More info here:
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/characteristics.php
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/hijackingterms.php

One of my favorite quotes:

"The most productive mindset you can have is simply this: always, always, always have a belief system that doesn’t resist change. Go wherever the information leads you, without fear, because surely the truth is never something to dread." - Darryl Sloan, author of Reality Check
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Confused on what a skeptic is

Post by Winston »

OP,
Check out this article about Unhealthy Skepticism in The Epoch Times. We are quoted in it too.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/603148- ... kepticism/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne