Is Our Earth FLAT and Motionless, Not a Spinning Globe?

Discuss conspiracies, mysteries and paranormal phenomena.
galii
Experienced Poster

Re: Is Our Earth FLAT and Motionless, Not a Spinning Globe?

Post by galii »

Yohan wrote:
November 18th, 2023, 6:15 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:
November 17th, 2023, 12:18 pm
I don't think the curvature could ever really be perceived since we're talking about the perspective of a tiny person trying to perceive the curvature of a massive sphere. Flat earthers seem to think we live on a golf ball planet where the curvature can be perceived from just getting a bit high.
Out of what I can see checking various articles from the internet, to see clearly the curvature of the earth, the following requiremens are necessary:

1 - A minimum height of approx. 85.000 ft.
2 - Free view of a minimum of 60 degrees
3 - Sky clear

Otherwise more or less nothing to see, for example from an airplane looking out of a window...
Commerical airliners during a long distance flight are usually somewhere around 38.000 ft and this is by far too low even if looking out of the cockpit with clear view to all sides.

It is said that sometimes when the Concorde was reaching the highest point of 60.000 ft it was possible for pilots and passengers to see sometimes slightly the curvature of the earth.

Some military airplanes can climb up to 85.000 ft, if the sight is good, they will see the curvature of the earth for sure.
The confusing thing is that Neil De Grass Tyson said it is impossible. I believe like you said he is wrong.

That is the beauty of flat earth theory we get to know things better because we get challenged.

The next thing is the curvature on the horizon. It is trickier and more confusing than one thinks because of refraction.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

@galii

About the curvature of the earth it can be seen easily from the ISS (which is about 250 miles (about 1.340.000 feet) above the earth and was visited by more than 260 people) and there are many pictures taken from there of the earth...

-----
The next thing is the curvature on the horizon. It is trickier and more confusing than one thinks because of refraction.
Not such an easy topic, but this link explains the basics (Physics-Optics-Refraction Of Light)
https://byjus.com/physics/refraction-of-light/

https://www.astro.princeton.edu/~dns/te ... ECAct.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Las ... xperiments
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... n_the_Moon

Such hi-tech measuring instruments make it clear that the earth and moon are not flat.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@Winston
@gsjackson
@Yohan
@galii

I've watched some of Eric Dubay's Proofs that the earth is flat and I'm going to be brutally honest about my thoughts and criticism of his thoughts and theories. To be honest I find some of his points are just the same as other points, but just worded differently. So he doesn't really provide 200 Proofs as several of them are the same points but worded in a different way.

I think many points, particularly many of those I remember posted in the first 5 minutes are based on massive misunderstandings on how a globe model actually works. I'll go into more details when I have time.

Just a few points that I remember:

The horizon rising to meet eyelevel is because the globe we live on is so vast and huge that a tiny human being who takes up the tiniest percentage of the earth's surface could never perceive the curvature unless we lived on a golf ball world.

Rivers do not flow upside down. I don't understand why on earth he would make this assumption. It shows a complete lack of perspective and understanding on how perspective itself works. On a globe earth there is no fixed "up" or "down". These are concepts based on perspective in relation to where the sky is and where the floor is based on which part of the planet you are standing on. So rivers don't flow up the curvature upside down. They flow from the highest point to the lowest point of the land mass.

The reasoning above is applied to the ocean finding its level and building bridges which don't account for curvature etc, that's because the surface is so huge the above two points work in conjuction with each other. We are so tiny in comparison that wherever we are on the planet it is always flat and the curvature is not perceived but it is definitely there.

Pilots do not need to dip the nose of their plane or they will fly off the planet. That's not how it works. If a plane is flying 300ft above sea level and travels in a straight line around the planet then it will remain 300ft above sea level regardless of where it travels around the globe. Again: the glove is massive! Inconceivably big compared to a tiny plane which is the equivalent of a germ on a beach ball. So it's a mixture of massive globe/ tiny plane and again perspective. Wherever that plane is on the planet it is always 300ft above sea level with no variation required.

Notice this photo of Chicago taken from across Lake Michigan as well! This is often used by flat earthers as proof that earth is flat, but if that is the case then why can you only see the tops of the buildings and not the bases as well if there is no curvature to take into account? For me this is proof of the earth's curve and not proof of a flat earth.

I already posted some refutation about flat earth which as far as I'm aware hasn't been addressed by gsjackson or anyone else who espouses the flat earth model.

1. Difference of air pressure at lower and higher altitudes. If earth is flat then why does this difference of air pressure exist? How do things like lightning and even rain exist without air pressure? And how can air pressure exist under a firmament?

2. What the f**k is a lunar eclipse? How come no explanation or proof is offered by flat earthers of the existence of a spherical body passing between the sun and the moon that is not earth? There is no way to prove the existence of such a celestial sphere that is not earth, meaning that earth is the only viable explanation to account for such a phenomenon.

3. The Coriolis Effect. This is when circulating air is deflected in curved paths due to the fact the earth is globular and also rotating. The direction of this effect is opposite in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. How does this happen and why on flat earth? This is proof the earth is a globe and is rotating.

These are just a few points which raise valid questions about the theory. I don't like to mock flat earthers and I'm an open minded person. There's nothing wrong with questioning things and examining reality with critical thinking. But flat earth seems to be based more on guesswork and speculation and mainly misunderstanding of concepts like perception etc.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 12:50 am
@Winston
@gsjackson
@Yohan
@galii

I've watched some of Eric Dubay's Proofs that the earth is flat and I'm going to be brutally honest about my thoughts and criticism of his thoughts and theories. To be honest I find some of his points are just the same as other points, but just worded differently. So he doesn't really provide 200 Proofs as several of them are the same points but worded in a different way.

I think many points, particularly many of those I remember posted in the first 5 minutes are based on massive misunderstandings on how a globe model actually works. I'll go into more details when I have time.

Just a few points that I remember:

The horizon rising to meet eyelevel is because the globe we live on is so vast and huge that a tiny human being who takes up the tiniest percentage of the earth's surface could never perceive the curvature unless we lived on a golf ball world.

Rivers do not flow upside down. I don't understand why on earth he would make this assumption. It shows a complete lack of perspective and understanding on how perspective itself works. On a globe earth there is no fixed "up" or "down". These are concepts based on perspective in relation to where the sky is and where the floor is based on which part of the planet you are standing on. So rivers don't flow up the curvature upside down. They flow from the highest point to the lowest point of the land mass.

The reasoning above is applied to the ocean finding its level and building bridges which don't account for curvature etc, that's because the surface is so huge the above two points work in conjuction with each other. We are so tiny in comparison that wherever we are on the planet it is always flat and the curvature is not perceived but it is definitely there.

Pilots do not need to dip the nose of their plane or they will fly off the planet. That's not how it works. If a plane is flying 300ft above sea level and travels in a straight line around the planet then it will remain 300ft above sea level regardless of where it travels around the globe. Again: the glove is massive! Inconceivably big compared to a tiny plane which is the equivalent of a germ on a beach ball. So it's a mixture of massive globe/ tiny plane and again perspective. Wherever that plane is on the planet it is always 300ft above sea level with no variation required.
Notice this photo of Chicago taken from across Lake Michigan as well! This is often used by flat earthers as proof that earth is flat, but if that is th

Imagee case then why can you only see the tops of the buildings and not the bases as well if there is no curvature to take into account? For me this is proof of the earth's curve and not proof of a flat earth.

I already posted some refutation about flat earth which as far as I'm aware hasn't been addressed by gsjackson or anyone else who espouses the flat earth model.

1. Difference of air pressure at lower and higher altitudes. If earth is flat then why does this difference of air pressure exist? How do things like lightning and even rain exist without air pressure? And how can air pressure exist under a firmament?

2. What the f**k is a lunar eclipse? How come no explanation or proof is offered by flat earthers of the existence of a spherical body passing between the sun and the moon that is not earth? There is no way to prove the existence of such a celestial sphere that is not earth, meaning that earth is the only viable explanation to account for such a phenomenon.

3. The Coriolis Effect. This is when circulating air is deflected in curved paths due to the fact the earth is globular and also rotating. The direction of this effect is opposite in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. How does this happen and why on flat earth? This is proof the earth is a globe and is rotating.

These are just a few points which raise valid questions about the theory. I don't like to mock flat earthers and I'm an open minded person. There's nothing wrong with questioning things and examining reality with critical thinking. But flat earth seems to be based more on guesswork and speculation and mainly misunderstanding of concepts like perception etc.
So you reject the conclusion of "scientists" that the earth's circumference is around 25,000 miles and therefore the curvature is eight inches per mile squared, even though you accept the rest of their ludicrous, jerry-built theory? if it is correctly calculated, you would certainly see some curvature from 35,000 feet flying in a commercial airliner. But you don't.

By now you should have read enough FE theory to know the answer to your point about the Chicago skyline. It's the same as boats disappearing over the horizon. Simply get out a telescope and you will see the bottoms of the building, so the earth's curvature is not blocking the view of the bottoms. And if it was the case, at 45 miles away from the skyline (boats start disappearing from the bottom up at about three miles out) then it sure as hell invalidates your point about the earth being so vast that the curvature can't be perceived from a few miles above. Please pick one of these mutually exclusive theories.

Re flying, maybe you'll have a go at the question Galii studiously avoids. If the earth is spinning west to east, 1,030 mph at the equator, how can the flight time be about the same flying west to east and east to west, after accounting for wind speed? How is that possible? And how do they fly north and south over this spinning ball? Constantly tack to the right or left to keep up with the spin? That's absurd, and I'm sure if you ask a pilot he will tell you that he does no such thing. And how do you hit the moving target runway?

So your point about the rivers not running up or down the curvature relies on your contention that the earth is so vast that any given point it will be perceived as flat? Not sure I understand. If you're saying that the Nile does not go up the earth's curvature and then down it, I'm sure cartographers who accept the globe theory would disagree strenuously.

Once again, a firmament is not essential to FE theory, and is not argued by Dubay or most FE proponents. You should refer all questions about air pressure to Youtuber Austin Witsit. You would learn a lot from his videos

Once again re eclipses, please account for the 56 occasions in which the globalist Royal Academy of Science observed both the sun and the moon in the sky during an eclipse. Clearly, something else causes them.

The "Coriolis effect" just seems like nonsense, and relies on observations that can't be verified, unless you have time and witlessness enough to flush a million toilets in both the north and south hemispheres. A little mini-argument, a pointlet.

I try to resist drawing conclusions on the basis of the lameness of globalist responses to FE evidence -- from yourself and Galii to His Eminence, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the very voice of "science" -- but it's not easy to do. Surely there's someone out there, some High Priest of the globalist religion, who will deign to come down from the mountaintop and make a strong, irrefutable case for the spinning ball. But he never arrives. It's always just cherry-picked, unpersuasive responses to a small handful of the FE arguments, almost all of which can be verified by observation.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

gsjackson wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 2:50 am
So you reject the conclusion of "scientists" that the earth's circumference is around 25,000 miles and therefore the curvature is eight inches per mile squared, even though you accept the rest of their ludicrous, jerry-built theory? if it is correctly calculated, you would certainly see some curvature from 35,000 feet flying in a commercial airliner. But you don't.
35000 ft high in a commercial airliner is not enough to see the curvature of the earth.

Minimum to see it clearly is approx. 85.000 ft, but only if your free view is more than 60 degrees and the sky is clear

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

gsjackson wrote:

Re flying, maybe you'll have a go at the question Galii studiously avoids. If the earth is spinning west to east, 1,030 mph at the equator, how can the flight time be about the same flying west to east and east to west, after accounting for wind speed? How is that possible? And how do they fly north and south over this spinning ball? Constantly tack to the right or left to keep up with the spin? That's absurd, and I'm sure if you ask a pilot he will tell you that he does no such thing. And how do you hit the moving target runway?
This is an easy question, the point is that the ENTIRE earth is spinning, this includes also the atmosphere of it which is surrounding the earth.
Of course, the atmosphere is also a part of the earth.

All what is within the earth is spinning together, including the flying airplanes or other objects in the air like birds, clouds...
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

gsjackson wrote:

By now you should have read enough FE theory to know the answer to your point about the Chicago skyline. It's the same as boats disappearing over the horizon. Simply get out a telescope and you will see the bottoms of the building, so the earth's curvature is not blocking the view of the bottoms. And if it was the case, at 45 miles away from the skyline (boats start disappearing from the bottom up at about three miles out) then it sure as hell invalidates your point about the earth being so vast that the curvature can't be perceived from a few miles above. Please pick one of these mutually exclusive theories.
A human eye on sea level can see objects on water like big ships up to about 5km (3 miles),
not much farer. The human eye is not so strong enough to see the difference between water and the ship.

If you use a telescope, for example x144, it's about the same as you see something 35 meter away from you without telescope.

Big difference, you might indeed see the entire ship through a telescope before it disappears - but with your bare eyes while in unchanged position - you see only the upper part for a short while before it disappears totally.

You can see of course more if you are in a higher position and not barely above sea level, so example on a ship, you see farer if you climb up a mast.

Some animals like the eagle have a significant better vision than humans. An eagle will still see a rabbit 2 miles away, but a human cannot.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Yohan wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 3:56 am
gsjackson wrote:
35000 ft high in a commercial airliner is not enough to see the curvature of the earth.

Minimum to see it clearly is approx. 85.000 ft, but only if your free view is more than 60 degrees and the sky is clear

Yohan I think you like the topic too. Good find.

Like it is mentioned in the description the picture is not scale.

Let's try to make the right scale. For that we take my last calculation.

---
If you are 12 km away from the earth on the
100 meter sphere it would be 10cm
---

In your picture let's say the diameter is 1 meter.

--
If you are 12 km away from the earth on the
100 meter sphere it would be 10cm

10 meter sphere it would be 1cm
1 meter sphere it would be 1mm.

---
So to have the right scale in your picture a plane that flies 12km high
the plane had to be printed 1mm above the sphere. Basically one could not see it.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yohan wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 4:27 am
gsjackson wrote:

This is an easy question, the point is that the ENTIRE earth is spinning, this includes also the atmosphere of it which is surrounding the earth.

All what is within the earth is spinning together, including the flying airplanes or other objects in the air like birds, clouds...
So what about flying east to west, going against the spin? How does that work?

Here's a brief and handy pocket guide for the origins of your religion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oRUJ5FkDzo
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yohan wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 5:18 am
[
A human eye on sea level can see objects on water like big ships up to about 5km (3 miles),
not much farer. The human eye is not so strong enough to see the difference between water and the ship.
And yet we can see stars that are quadrillions of miles away, because they're so very, very, very big. Your religion is a wondrous thing, full of amazing tales.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

gsjackson wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 6:28 am
Yohan wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

How are you not getting it? Imagine you are on a very big ship. The ship is fast let's say 100km/h. The ship is 10k long. You are on the ship When you go at 5km/h against the path of the ship you will made 5km. When you go against the path of the ship you will still make 5km.

Now take the flat earth instead of the ship. The flat earth moves let's say 1000km/h. On the flat earth you do the walking thing again. You will get the same result. You will make 5km in each direction.

Now you take the spinning gloobe earth. Well its the same.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

galii wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 5:59 am

Yohan I think you like the topic too. Good find.
Like it is mentioned in the description the picture is not scale.
Let's try to make the right scale. For that we take my last calculation.
So to have the right scale in your picture a plane that flies 12km high
the plane had to be printed 1mm above the sphere. Basically one could not see it.
@galii

It's just funny - it is easy to prove that the world is not flat - even intelligent people more than 1000 years ago understood this.

Abū al-Rayhān Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Bīrūnī (973–1048)

from his scripts:
The Earth is a globe, with a rough surface due to the presence of mountains and depressions, but these are negligible when compared with the size of the globe. Because of this irregular surface, the water is not covering it completely, as it would happen for a smooth sphere.

While water, like earth, has a certain weight and falls as low as possible in the air, it is nevertheless lighter than earth, which therefore settles in water, sinking in the form of sediments at the bottom… The earth and the water form one globe, surrounded on all sides by air.
I like the research of Al-Biruni, because he wrote down all about his experiments in many details. He was also likely the first one, who created a globe of the earth.

He also understood, that not only the earth is not flat, but also that the moon is not a disc, the moon is moving around the earth and the light of the moon is coming from the sun.

These scripts still do exist....

-----------------------------------

Destroying Flat Earth Without Using Science - Part 3: Airplanes
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

galii wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 8:16 am
gsjackson wrote:
Yohan wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

How are you not getting it? Imagine you are on a very big ship. The ship is fast let's say 100km/h. The ship is 10k long. You are on the ship When you go at 5km/h against the path of the ship you will made 5km. When you go against the path of the ship you will still make 5km.

Now take the flat earth instead of the ship. The flat earth moves let's say 1000km/h. On the flat earth you do the walking thing again. You will get the same result. You will make 5km in each direction.

Utter nonsense. And what about flying north and south? You're flying 500 mph, but being pulled 800 mph to the east? can't you people see what absurd mental contortions you have to go through to try to defend this hoax? Our rulers are laughing at you while you mindlessly condescend to people trying to bring a bit of scientific rigor to this charade. It's all too funny. The human comedy.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yohan wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 9:14 am

He also understood, that not only the earth is not flat, but also that the moon is not a disc, the moon is moving around the earth and the light of the moon is coming from the sun.
If the moon is simply reflecting the sun's light then how come moonlight is cold, damp and putrefying, whereas sunlight is warm and rejuvenating. Find some shade from moonlight and you will be warmer -- the opposite of going from sunlight to shade. Try it for yourself.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

gsjackson wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 9:43 am
galii wrote:
November 19th, 2023, 8:16 am
gsjackson wrote:
Yohan wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

Utter nonsense. And what about flying north and south? You're flying 500 mph, but being pulled 800 mph to the east? can't you people see what absurd mental contortions you have to go through to try to defend this hoax? Our rulers are laughing at you while you mindlessly condescend to people trying to bring a bit of scientific rigor to this charade. It's all too funny. The human comedy.
It is like in my example. I use a ship as an example because it is easier to imagine. The ship goes from the north to the south. You are in the middle of the ship. Your walking speed is again 5km/h. This time you do not walk direction east or west. You walk south. You walk for 1h. You made a distance of 5km in direction south on the ship. When you walk north you would also make 5km on the ship.

Now you can use a plane as an example. We can use 5m/second. So it is basically the same like on the ship. You move 5m to the south.

Now we can use your real plane. So your plane flies with 500km/h to the south. In one hour in will make a distance oof 500km to the south. The 800km/h has no effect on the plane.

Like when you fly a plane its speed has no effect on your movement. It does not matter how fast the plane. You would not know how fast you fly. It feels always the same. Except with acceleration or stopping but the earth is always constant in its relative speed.