Join John Adams Mon and Wed nights 7:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar!

Share This Page

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       Elegance Theme       Prosilver Theme

Would Winston be happier abroad in Europe?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Would Winston be happier abroad in Europe?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

hypermak wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:04 pm
  1. being a happy-go-lucky tourist in 15 years ago Europe is not the same as
  2. living long-term in 2020 Europe, aiming to creating deeper and lasting connections with people, possibly a relationship with a woman.
But the first LEADS to the second. That's what you don't seem to get.
hypermak wrote: If you have a history of travelling through Europe, even just Eastern Europe, spanning across many years, as you claim, you should know very well what I mean.
My first trip to Europe was in 1988. It was Rome, Italy and it was life changing and I immediately knew that I belonged in Europe.
Since then, Western Europe has fallen by the wayside. Central and especially Eastern Europe are my stomping grounds. People know better than you where they belong and what gratifies them!
hypermak wrote: The photos and videos show evidence that @Winston had quite a bit of fun over there but the key thing here is the context: he was 15+ years younger, he was a tourist hanging out with fellow tourists. That's what people usually do in that context and Winston was no exception.
Stop trying to rain on other people's parades! I have far more fun NOW than ever in Europe so age is not an issue. Also, I NEVER socialize with tourists and, in fact, I avoid them. I make connections and long term relationships with LOCALS. Not everyone fits the tourist stereotype you are trying to impose here.
hypermak wrote: The challenge comes if and when he decides to settle in Europe. That is not the same as being a tourist and hanging out with tourists and random people. You are meeting mostly locals preoccupied with their daily routines. They won't have much (or as much) time to hang out freely and happily. The location is still a European city but the context is completely different.
Completely wrong! I have lived in several cities in Europe and I can tell you that LIVING there is far more satisfying than simply visiting short term. Not sure why you are so intent on being negative about his desire to live in Europe, but just stop it.
hypermak wrote: I am not trying to be a party-pooper here but, being a European and having lived in several European countries, I can say it's not as romantic/nostalgic as Winston wants to make it.
As an American, I would never be so arrogant to tell other people that what they experience in America is not what they perceive. This would be narcissism on steroids. Not everyone experiences the world (or Europe) the way you do. The "hum drum" existence you had there is why you likely left. But you don't get to tell other people how something is or is not for others there. So knock it off and get some therapy to get to the root of why you feel the need to do that.
hypermak wrote: Back to you, you always love to contrast yourself with the "haters", even when there's no hate, just different opinions and facts exposed.
You're not exposing Winston regarding anything. You're just exposing yourself as a person who just hates when others are enjoying life in the ways you can't. You can't help yourself from telling people that they don't have it as good as they think. It's is truly sick and you need to figure out why you are this way. It is not indicative of a healthy and happy person. Get that fixed or just stay miserable.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 6:36 pm
hypermak wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:04 pm
  1. being a happy-go-lucky tourist in 15 years ago Europe is not the same as
  2. living long-term in 2020 Europe, aiming to creating deeper and lasting connections with people, possibly a relationship with a woman.
But the first LEADS to the second. That's what you don't seem to get.
Yes, having a taste or Europe (the first) may lead to choosing to settle in Europe (the second). However settling in Europe is much more challenging than just spending a few days or weeks travelling across cities. I think this is very, very obvious and applies to every location, not just in Europe.
My first trip to Europe was in 1988. It was Rome, Italy and it was life changing and I immediately knew that I belonged in Europe.
Since then, Western Europe has fallen by the wayside. Central and especially Eastern Europe are my stomping grounds. People know better than you where they belong and what gratifies them!
Even Italy has changed a lot since 1988, I can only imagine what must have been in Eastern European countries after the collapse of the Soviet influence, around the same years.
Stop trying to rain on other people's parades! I have far more fun NOW than ever in Europe so age is not an issue. Also, I NEVER socialize with tourists and, in fact, I avoid them. I make connections and long term relationships with LOCALS. Not everyone fits the tourist stereotype you are trying to impose here.
Well, good for you if you were successful in doing that. But it's not as easy as mingling with tourists while being a tourist. That's the message I was driving to @Winston. Not raining on his parade, just giving him a different opinion than the romantic/nostalgic narrative around Europe that some (non-European) people have in here.
Completely wrong! I have lived in several cities in Europe and I can tell you that LIVING there is far more satisfying than simply visiting short term. Not sure why you are so intent on being negative about his desire to live in Europe, but just stop it.
Living in Europe on a passive income, without not much else to do than walking around and meeting the next girl, like you claim you do, is surely an easier and comfier lifestyle. Try to live like a European average person, looking for a job, commuting to work, paying bills, engaging in the same daily routines as the locals. Much of the excitement fades. That's the kind of caution I am giving Winston.

If Winston can comfortably live in Europe while being spared the daily routine, getting the good stuff without the bad stuff, then good for him, that would be a much better experience! However, it's not what people usually face when they decide to move to Europe.
Completely wrong! I have lived in several cities in Europe and I can As an American, I would never be so arrogant to tell other people that what they experience in America is not what they perceive. This would be narcissism on steroids. Not everyone experiences the world (or Europe) the way you do. The "hum drum" existence you had there is why you likely left. But you don't get to tell other people how something is or is not for others there. So knock it off and get some therapy to get to the root of why you feel the need to do that.
Only in your (delusional) world, opinions equate the ultimate truth. I am just giving him my opinion about Europe as a European, without some of the Kool Aid. Isn't that what a discussion forum should be about?
You're not exposing Winston regarding anything. You're just exposing yourself as a person who just hates when others are enjoying life in the ways you can't. You can't help yourself from telling people that they don't have it as good as they think. It's is truly sick and you need to figure out why you are this way. It is not indicative of a healthy and happy person. Get that fixed or just stay miserable.
Who wants to expose anyone? I am just exposing my opinion, based on experience.

I don't think Winston is enjoying his current life much, considering how he complains about Taiwan, about the Philippines, about China, etc. Europe might be where his "formative" years as a traveller were, which is great. All I am cautioning him about is on the fact that Europe right now is not in an extremely foreigner-friendly or tourist-friendly mood and certainly the experience of living a routine life is more challenging than that of a happy-go-lucky tourist.

When will you ever understand that being realistic does not mean being miserable? If you are happy because of a bunch of delusions about your life, your status, etc., that is fine by me but it's not the healthy way of living. I don't live in a bubble, I don't live in a dream. Maybe you had or are having it easier than most, but that's not what life is usually about.

By the way, I was catching up on some of Winston's diaries about his Russia/Baltics experiences. It's a humongous amount of material and I don't think I'll ever have the time to plough through it all.

From what I have read, it looks like Winston had some very fruitful interactions with girls he met randomly at cafes or museums, or from dating sites. He also had a bunch of very pleasant experiences, like being mugged, being used and scammed by the only girls he chose to stick to for a slightly longer term, living through the depressing winters, etc.

This looks to me a lot more like the realistic experience of a foreigner trying to settle in a foreign country: some good moments and some bad ones. Perhaps much of his excitement about Europe comes from nostalgia. It's only human that we tend to value positive moments and forget the not so positive ones.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

hypermak wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 6:59 pm
Even Italy has changed a lot since 1988, I can only imagine what must have been in Eastern European countries after the collapse of the Soviet influence, around the same years.
Yes, I know. That's why I would never want to go back again. I had to go to Milan on business a decade ago. Never again! I first traveled to EE in 2003 and things were looking positive even then. Today, EE is BETTER than Western Europe in all the ways that enhance my life.
hypermak wrote: Not raining on his parade, just giving him a different opinion than the romantic/nostalgic narrative around Europe that some (non-European) people have in here.
Huh? And what makes you think "non-Europeans" need your negative attitude and advice on what is best for them, especially when you hate seeing them happier and doing better than you? You are, of course, the person who maintains that black men would never enjoy Ukraine. The fact that Ukraine is one of my favorite countries in which to live, proves that you are just a typical, naysaying person acting out of envy and bitterness for obvious reasons.
hypermak wrote: Living in Europe on a passive income, without not much else to do than walking around and meeting the next girl, like you claim you do, is surely an easier and comfier lifestyle.
And what makes you think I have nothing much else to do? Just because I have not described my plans, projects, and routines to you, does not mean I am wandering around aimlessly looking for girls. Some of us meet girls in the COURSE of our daily activities. But I get it, you have to put a bitterness spin on everything to make yourself feel better.
hypermak wrote: Only in your (delusional) world, opinions equate the ultimate truth. I am just giving him my opinion about Europe as a European, without some of the Kool Aid. Isn't that what a discussion forum should be about?
A few of the newer members might not have figured you out as a toxic, envious, hater. So no, you should not be here trying to create doubts, negativity, and denying that people are or can be happy in what they want abroad. You are a dreamkiller, you're just not very good at it.
hypermak wrote: I don't think Winston is enjoying his current life much, considering how he complains about Taiwan, about the Philippines, about China, etc.
That is not for you to determine. You think everyone should be doing poorly because you feel you are yourself. And you also have some nerve telling people where they would not be happy. How dare you.
hypermak wrote: All I am cautioning him about is on the fact that Europe right now is not in an extremely foreigner-friendly or tourist-friendly mood and certainly the experience of living a routine life is more challenging than that of a happy-go-lucky tourist.
Stick to cautioning people about ending up with your mindset, not about following their desires. And by the way, Europe is BEGGING for tourists to come flooding back. People are out of work, companies are failing, so people are furious about European governments restricting tourism and the pressure is mounting for them to lift those restrictions. But you, of course, use the negativity spin that Europe is a an anti-visitor mood. Are you always this negative? Try some anti-depressants or something, sheesh!
hypermak wrote: When will you ever understand that being realistic does not mean being miserable? If you are happy because of a bunch of delusions about your life, your status, etc., that is fine by me but it's not the healthy way of living. I don't live in a bubble, I don't live in a dream. Maybe you had or are having it easier than most, but that's not what life is usually about.
I notice toxic and negative people often try to portray their doings as "being realistic." The only thing you are realistic about is your penchant for being negative when others are fulfilled.
hypermak wrote: This looks to me a lot more like the realistic experience of a foreigner trying to settle in a foreign country: some good moments and some bad ones. Perhaps much of his excitement about Europe comes from nostalgia. It's only human that we tend to value positive moments and forget the not so positive ones.
Some people love living in Europe and are more fulfilled living there than you were. That's why you left and why he wants to live there so stop spreading your negative outlook among people who would be happier than you there.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

July 23rd, 2020, 7:44 pm
Yes, I know. That's why I would never want to go back again. I had to go to Milan on business a decade ago. Never again! I first traveled to EE in 2003 and things were looking positive even then. Today, EE is BETTER than Western Europe in all the ways that enhance my life.
Well, surely Eastern Europen is cheaper than Western Europe, almost everything is better value for money. Milan is a bit of an exception in Italy. It's an extremely modern city that can compete with any large European metropolis in terms of infrastructure, jobs, culture and lifestyle. The (pretty obvious) caveat is that the increases in living cost has been steeper than any other Italian city, with salaries being relatively stagnant.
Huh? And what makes you think "non-Europeans" need your negative attitude and advice on what is best for them, especially when you hate seeing them happier and doing better than you? You are, of course, the person who maintains that black men would never enjoy Ukraine. The fact that Ukraine is one of my favorite countries in which to live, proves that you are just a typical, naysaying person acting out of envy and bitterness for obvious reasons.
Where's the negative attitude? I am just being more objective than you and certain other posters, that's all. If you have money to spend and nothing else to worry about than how to keep yourself entertained, (almost) every place can be enjoyed by a man of any race :) You keep making me state the obvious, all the time.
And what makes you think I have nothing much else to do? Just because I have not described my plans, projects, and routines to you, does not mean I am wandering around aimlessly looking for girls. Some of us meet girls in the COURSE of our daily activities. But I get it, you have to put a bitterness spin on everything to make yourself feel better.
Whatever, dude. No point arguing with someone who always has some more made up stuff to add. Of course you're quite the successful entrepreneur, you have a busy schedule of meetings about your next venture, blah, blah.

My point here remains that life is easier when you don't have to worry about working, paying bills and the life routine 99% European citizens go through. If Winston can go to Europe and replicate your (alleged) lifestyle to a tee, then I will be happy for him.
A few of the newer members might not have figured you out as a toxic, envious, hater. So no, you should not be here trying to create doubts, negativity, and denying that people are or can be happy in what they want abroad. You are a dreamkiller, you're just not very good at it.
I am one of the newer members, too. Let other members decide whether they prefer a realistic assessment or a narrative based on (at least partly) made-up stories. I might come across as a killjoy but I have reason to believe it's you, of the two of us, who is doing a disservice to the other members.

I have never said nobody can be happy in Europe. I will never say that. I am just saying: as a European who lived in Europe most of his life, don't underestimate the challenges of moving to a country without a clear purpose and setting sky-high expectations about fitting in and having a good time.

So hard to be clear?
That is not for you to determine. You think everyone should be doing poorly because you feel you are yourself. And you also have some nerve telling people where they would not be happy. How dare you.
WTF are you talking about? Maybe in the US people are supposed to always pat each other on the shoulder and say that "everything will be alright". I have my life experience, my opinions and I am sharing them in here. I am not "doing poorly" at all, nor want anyone to be miserable. I am just putting some words of caution based on the reality of living in Europe for the average Joe.

We have long established that you don't live in reality, you live in an ivory tower of your own making. Again, I don't know what's more damaging: your tall tales or a good dose of reality.
Stick to cautioning people about ending up with your mindset, not about following their desires. And by the way, Europe is BEGGING for tourists to come flooding back. People are out of work, companies are failing, so people are furious about European governments restricting tourism and the pressure is mounting for them to lift those restrictions. But you, of course, use the negativity spin that Europe is a an anti-visitor mood. Are you always this negative? Try some anti-depressants or something, sheesh!
If that's the case, the entire world is begging for the tourism industry to back on its tracks. You still seem to be confused about a tourist as a man with lots of free time and wallet full of money, with a foreigner who is settling in Europe trying to live like one. You seem to have this delusional idea of flying to some Eastern European country and been treated like a king because you pay your college babes and tip your hotel bell boys.

The moment you stop being a tourist, people look at you with different eyes. The general sentiment in Europe towards foreigners is not as good as it used to be. Why do you think the rise in populist, protectionist political forces (Hungary and Poland, Germany and Holland, Italy and France, etc.) comes from? Of course, as a tourist, you will always be welcome to spend but that's not the same thing.
I notice toxic and negative people often try to portray their doings as "being realistic." The only thing you are realistic about is your penchant for being negative when others are fulfilled.
Do not muddle the waters, please. I am being highly critical to you because you like to project this high life of comfort, privilege, wealth and success which is probably true in small part, and bash on anyone who doesn't agree on you.

@Winston, on the opposite side of the spectrum, has left a huge amount of evidence about his experiences and obviously not all of them are rosy. He has been thoroughly honest with himself and everyone in here. That's why, when he asks for opinions, he is much more relatable than you. Of course he might not like my advice, but that is part of the whole debate game, isn't it?

Talking about the negative/toxic attitude, I am actually enjoying my time in the Philippines and have told Winston that he might enjoy it here, too (as he does in Angeles City) if he only gets a change of perspective. He then says he doesn't like hot and sticky weather, which is fair enough.
Some people love living in Europe and are more fulfilled living there than you were. That's why you left and why he wants to live there so stop spreading your negative outlook among people who would be happier than you there.
Still with this rubbish about why I left. I left Malta for the same reason I left the UK. I am trying to get some international experience. So hard to understand? Next year I might be in Dubai, or in Tokyo. One doesn't always leave location X for location Y because he is not "doing well" in location X.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

hypermak wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 8:14 pm
The moment you stop being a tourist, people look at you with different eyes. The general sentiment in Europe towards foreigners is not as good as it used to be. Why do you think the rise in populist, protectionist political forces (Hungary and Poland, Germany and Holland, Italy and France, etc.) comes from? Of course, as a tourist, you will always be welcome to spend but that's not the same thing.
WRONG! And that is why I see you as a liar and a negative buzzkill.

I have LIVED and WORKED in various European countries for YEARS before I started traveling as a nomad for leisure. Living there and was extremely satisfying.

And you are also wrong that people look at you with different eyes when you live there. If that is your version of Europe, you need to live in more affluent neighborhoods where people are too consumed with staying on the top of their game than resenting foreigners. That is for working class or poor Europeans like you to do.

Third, none of those countries are even remotely of interest to me. Hungary and Poland are not even technically Eastern European, they're seen as more Central European.

And yes, of course spending is appreciated abroad everywhere. But I spend even more money in America, but the experience and treatment is not the same as in Europe so again, stop lying.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

July 23rd, 2020, 8:51 pm
WRONG! And that is why I see you as a liar and a negative buzzkill.

I have LIVED and WORKED in various European countries for YEARS before I started traveling as a nomad for leisure. Living there and was extremely satisfying.
LOL, this is your typical style of debate... :D Every time you have to win an argument there's some new detail about your life than seems to substantiate your thesis. So far you were a retired government officer in the US, but now all of a sudden you've been living abroad "for years". But OK, for the sake of argument, let's give you the benefit of the doubt.

As I said, if you were living in Europe as an expat, you had a purpose. You probably had an expat salary and maybe a package that helped you finding accommodation and with some of the daily chores. More importantly, you had access to a social circle of colleagues and their families, friends, etc.

That's a good situation to be in. That's the situation I have been in in the UK, Malta, here etc. Obviously your experience may differ greatly depending on the stress of working, your available free time, your disposable income, how much of the daily chores you have to do on your own.
And you are also wrong that people look at you with different eyes when you live there. If that is your version of Europe, you need to live in more affluent neighborhoods where people are too consumed with staying on the top of their game than resenting foreigners. That is for working class or poor Europeans like you to do.
Not all people can afford to live in affluent, cosmopolitan neighbourhoods or 5-star serviced apartments, where most of who they meet are in the same social bubble as them. When you met your locals in Ukraine, were they all members of the upper class? I don't think so.

Never miss a chance to project yourself as "the elite", don't we? :)
Third, none of those countries are even remotely of interest to me. Hungary and Poland are not even technically Eastern European, they're seen as more Central European.

And yes, of course spending is appreciated abroad everywhere. But I spend even more money in America, but the experience and treatment is not the same as in Europe so again, stop lying.
Treatment of tourists is a professional endeavour that is taught in school. If you get treated better in Ukraine or other EE countries, it's probably because your dollar goes further, and maybe people tend to be more genuine and polite. I agree, but this is, again, something quite obvious.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

hypermak wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:14 pm
LOL, this is your typical style of debate... :D Every time you have to win an argument there's some new detail about your life than seems to substantiate your thesis. So far you were a retired government officer in the US, but now all of a sudden you've been living abroad "for years". But OK, for the sake of argument, let's give you the benefit of the doubt.
I've talked about my having lived and worked in Europe for YEARS on this forum. That is nothing new. It is just implausible to those who are lairs and buzzkills like yourself.
hypermak wrote: As I said, if you were living in Europe as an expat, you had a purpose. You probably had an expat salary and maybe a package that helped you finding accommodation and with some of the daily chores. More importantly, you had access to a social circle of colleagues and theoir families, friends, etc.
Lots of stupid assumptions there, but that is to be expected from you. I socialized with locals EXCLUSIVELY.
hypermak wrote: That's a good situation to be in. That's the situation I have been in in the UK, Malta, here etc. Obviously your experience may differ greatly depending on the stress of working, your available free time, your disposable income, how much of the daily chores you have to do on your own.
Daily chores? Are you kidding? :lol: That's what a domestic staff is for you idiot. But I get it, you were there to cook food, a chore in an of itself.
hypermak wrote: Not all people can afford to live in affluent, cosmopolitan neighbourhoods or 5-star serviced apartments, where most of who they meet are in the same social bubble as them. When you met your locals in Ukraine, were they all members of the upper class? I don't think so.
I stay in the poshest parts of Kyiv where everyone is either affluent or very accustomed to working for the affluent.
Even the students I met there are future doctors, lawyers, accountants, and business people.
hypermak wrote: Never miss a chance to project yourself as "the elite", don't we? :)
Never claimed to be "elite." I'm not a billionaire. My lifestyle just is what it is. No need to be insanely bitter about it.....
hypermak wrote: Treatment of tourists is a professional endeavour that is taught in school. If you get treated better in Ukraine or other EE countries, it's probably because your dollar goes further, and maybe people tend to be more genuine and polite. I agree, but this is, again, something quite obvious.
I have been traveling long enough to know the difference between trained "hospitality" and genuine interest. Hospitality training does not train waitresses, bartenders, and receptionists to invite you out to see the city after hours AGAINST HOTEL POLICY mind you. Hospitality training does not train girls to give me their personal contact information to hook up later at a different hotel.
Hospitality training does not train girls to show you off your Russian skills to their mothers and friends.

The more you blab about, the more it is clear that you are missing out on so much in life because of your dogmatic and rigid beliefs about almost everything.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

July 23rd, 2020, 9:37 pm
I've talked about my having lived and worked in Europe for YEARS on this forum. That is nothing new. It is just implausible to those who are lairs and buzzkills like yourself.
Can't be bothered digging up all of your past stories. I think the time of the day I give you, for entertainment and English training purpose, is more than enough. At this point we can stop the exchange because I simply can't debate with someone who will happily make up anything at any moment. No credibility, no constistency...no real debate.
Daily chores? Are you kidding? :lol: That's what a domestic staff is for you idiot. But I get it, you were there to cook food, a chore in an of itself.
LOL of cooourse! :D How could I have forgotten about it? You were the elite expat with domestic staff at your service. An an Ambassador, maybe. Dude, you're beyong pathetic. Go peddle your delusions somewhere else... :D
I stay in the poshest parts of Kyiv where everyone is either affluent or very accustomed to working for the affluent.
Even the students I met there are future doctors, lawyers, accountants, and business people.
Very believable, very.
Never claimed to be "elite." I'm not a billionaire. My lifestyle just is what it is. No need to be insanely bitter about it.....
In your mind, it can be whatever you want it to be.
I have been traveling long enough to know the difference between trained "hospitality" and genuine interest. Hospitality training does not train waitresses, bartenders, and receptionists to invite you out to see the city after hours AGAINST HOTEL POLICY mind you. Hospitality training does not train girls to give me their personal contact information to hook up later at a different hotel.
Hospitality training does not train girls to show you off your Russian skills to their mothers and friends.
LOL so this is how clueless you are. A girl who wants to hook up after hours is not doing so that her "hospitality" is going the extra mile. She's just rounding up her paycheck with American dude full of dollars.

Everything about the way you speak is really, I mean really, despicable. The nonchalance with which you like your narrative full of made up stories. The arrogance with which you attack anyone who dares stating the obvious, that is, 5% of what you say is barely believable.

It's really, really hard to have a honest debate with someone like you, about anything at all. :|
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

hypermak wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:45 pm
Can't be bothered digging up all of your past stories. I think the time of the day I give you, for entertainment and English training purpose, is more than enough. At this point we can stop the exchange because I simply can't debate with someone who will happily make up anything at any moment. No credibility, no constistency...no real debate.
LOL of cooourse! :D How could I have forgotten about it? You were the elite expat with domestic staff at your service. An an Ambassador, maybe. Dude, you're beyong pathetic. Go peddle your delusion somewhere else... :D
Very believable, very.
In your mind, it can be whatever you want it to be.
LOL so this is how clueless you are. A girl who wants to hook up after hours is not doing so that her "hospitality" is going the extra mile. She's just rounding up her paycheck with American dude full of dollars.

Everything about the way you speak is really, I mean really, despicable. The nonchalance with which you like your narrative full of made up stories. The arrogance with which you attack anyone who dares stating the obvious, that is, 5% of what you say is barely believable.

It's really, really hard to have a honest debate with someone like you, about anything at all. :|
Of course, so everything that you can't manage to enjoy for yourself is all a great big lie. I get it..... But just because you deny that something is true out of envy, does not make it any less enjoyable. :wink: It just makes you look like a bitter moron who hates when people have life better than he does.

If you're THAT damn miserable being a hotel worker, why don't you advance your education, try to get promoted, or just do something other than trying to talk people out of fully enjoying their lives, and angrily denying that the people who are enjoying theirs are being truthful.

Get yourself a real life and maybe one day you'll understand instead of trying to gaslight like a petulant little schoolgirl.

But I will leave you with this: Anytime anything about my background and lifestyle is implausible or unbelievable to you, it just means you are proving yourself to be that much lower than my level. So go ahead, keep not believing what I describe is true. :mrgreen:
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

July 23rd, 2020, 10:07 pm
Of course, so everything that you can't manage to enjoy for yourself is all a great big lie. I get it..... But just because you deny that something is true out of envy, does not make it any less enjoyable. :wink: It just makes you look like a bitter moron who hates when people have life better than he does.

If you're THAT damn miserable being a hotel worker, why don't you advance your education, try to get promoted, or just do something other than trying to talk people out of fully enjoying their lives, and angrily denying that the people who are enjoying theirs are being truthful.

Get yourself a real life and maybe one day you'll understand instead of trying to gaslight like a petulant little schoolgirl.

But I will leave you with this: Anytime anything about my background and lifestyle is implausible or unbelievable to you, it just means you are proving yourself to be that much lower than my level. So go ahead, keep not believing what I describe is true. :mrgreen:
I can't stand people who are full of s*it and and boastful. You are one golden example of this particular personality.

What I can do for myself is my business and my business alone. Maybe you should consider trying to get an existence without all the delusions and tales that you are making up for what you (evidently) lack.

Whatever my level, it will never be higher than what you can make up, out of thin air. So there is no point even talking. We are comparing potatoes with unicorns.

Just, keep in mind you're giving advice to people based on something you are not, or have not, or will never be/have. Exactly like one of those fake gurus who never ran a real business, other than that of selling advice for a fee. Oh well, at least your BS is free of charge :D
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hypermak,
I said i disagree with you because you insinuated that i only hung out with tourists and travelers and not with locals. Like when you said:

"Did you hang out in normal social situations, like house/college parties, bars, or your knowledge is limited to online interactions and friendships? Did you meet locals of a city or town, or you met passer-byes in hostels or tourism spots?"

Remember? My Poland video above showed that i hung out with locals too, as well as expats and travelers. All of them. You saw the clip of me in the college dorm drinking and laughing right? My hospitality club hostess brought me there.

Also in Poland i met a British man and Australian man who were settled there and dating someone, even though they were older men. There are clips of them in my videos.

Btw the American guy Robert that was in many of my Krakow videos above still lives in Europe. He lives in Prague now and is married to a Polish woman and has two kids with her and is fairly happy there he saws. But hes a positive upbeat person as you can see in the videos.

So that just goes to show it is possible to settle in Europe long term right? Robert has been there since 2005.

Are you gonna down that too? Lol

Robert also says its easier to approach girls when I'm around. Because my presence creates some type of energy there that makes it easier to talk to girls.

You also said that the locals in Europe arent as friendly if you live there and see their daily routines. You insinuate that they're no different than Americans. I disagree with that too. They have a different vibe and feel to them. Its hard to put into words. But im sure you guys know what i mean. And so does CE. There is this mature, down to earth vibe that europeans have that americans dont. More of an old soul vibe. I experienced it many times, even on the plane too. So yes they are definitely different, not the same. Why do you try to downplay that hypermak?

CE seems to be right that you like to downplay things a lot. I get that sense too. Are you aware you are doing that? Is it subconscious and you don't realize it?

I agree though that any country you go to you will have good and bad experiences and life will feel routine after a while. Thats why you gotta mix it up and visit different cities and towns sometimes.

However the point is in Europe and Russia and FSU i definitely felt a lot more ALIVE and in my ELEMENT than in Taiwan or USA. You understand that right?

Also why do u keep talking about getting a job in Europe? You forget i have passive income and do not need to get a job there. As long as i pay the cost of living of a single man and not try to raise a family, i can afford it. I can easily afford a small apartment. So according to you, my life would be more easy right?

Either way, Robert works in Prague. I think he teaches English. He also plays in a band. He is happy there doing all that. And he has a wife and kids. So it definitely is possible to be happy in Europe living and working right? Especially if you have your own family.

So why do you downplay all that hypermak? How do you explain Robert's situation? He is a happy go lucky type too. You can see many video clips of him in my Poland compilation video above.

Just because your destiny path and Robert's are different doesn't mean all expats and HAers should follow your path and not his right? You understand not everyone's destiny is the same right? Your path and CE also are on different paths. That doesnt mean his path is wrong and yours is right, right?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw hypermak, I'm not denying there's some partial truths in what you say. But the point is you definitely seem to want to DOWNPLAY everything in Europe, as if you have some bias and intent in doing so. You definitely don't sound neutral or unbiased about it. So i agree with CE on that. CE has nailed that aspect. Your posts seem to contain a deliberate SPIN to DOWNPLAY everything in regard to Europe. That seems very apparent. The question is, why?

Also like yick, you seem to insinuate that you know a mans soul and his feelings better than himself. Yick of course is crazy and preposterous to assume that. Do you wanna be like him too? Of course no one knows a mans soul and feelings better than himself does.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Winston wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:22 pm
Btw hypermak, I'm not denying there's some partial truths in what you say. But the point is you definitely seem to want to DOWNPLAY everything in Europe, as if you have some bias and intent in doing so. You definitely don't sound neutral or unbiased about it. So i agree with CE on that. CE has nailed that aspect. Your posts seem to contain a deliberate SPIN to DOWNPLAY everything in regard to Europe. That seems very apparent. The question is, why?

Also like yick, you seem to insinuate that you know a mans soul and his feelings better than himself. Yick of course is crazy and preposterous to assume that. Do you wanna be like him too? Of course no one knows a mans soul and feelings better than himself does.
I think I am done with advising you. @publicduende told me he tried to advise you on Europe and ended up in a massive fight and being banned. I can now see why. I am not going to go down that route, sorry.

My "bias" is my opinion about what could happen to a (male) citizen who is married to a local and works and lives a normal life, in a European city, Sure, there are aspects that are pleasant and better than the life you might be having in Taiwan or were having in the US. Yet, being a foreigner working and living in Europe isn't much more exciting than a local working and living in the same European location.

15 years ago you found yourself in a social situation including some tourists, some foreigners living there for a long time, and a few locals. Your status and behaviour was that of a tourist, not expecting much and having some good fun.

I believe things are not the same the moment you decide to settle and set up a life. I thought that was what you were referring to, as your desire to be happier in Europe, as in live long-term, find stable friends and a woman you can have a stable relationship with.

If you only meant backpacking around Europe and being satisfied with some random fun, then of course you can still have as much as that you want.

Assuming what CE says is at least partly true, he has had or is planning to have that kind of lifestyle: no daily routine as he is retired, free to come and go, no commitment and no expectations, plenty of cash to spend. If you want or can afford to live a lifestyle of that kind, that is great! That's pretty much the best conditions to enjoy life anywhere in the world, not just Europe! :)

Ironically, you keep saying you have a superior "vibe" and connection with us Europeans but you act in a very American way: you ask for different opinions but you expect everybody to give you more of the sugarcoated narrative that "all is good", you will fulfil all of your dreams. Why don't you want anyone to caution you on the challenges you may encounter? Isn't it in your interest to listen to all the bells?
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Winston wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:07 pm
Hypermak,
I said i disagree with you because you insinuated that i only hung out with tourists and travelers and not with locals. Like when you said:
Sorry, I read and replied to your second, shorter post, before this one. What you say below actually explains what I had suspected.
Winston wrote:
"Did you hang out in normal social situations, like house/college parties, bars, or your knowledge is limited to online interactions and friendships? Did you meet locals of a city or town, or you met passer-byes in hostels or tourism spots?"

Remember? My Poland video above showed that i hung out with locals too, as well as expats and travelers. All of them. You saw the clip of me in the college dorm drinking and laughing right? My hospitality club hostess brought me there.

Also in Poland i met a British man and Australian man who were settled there and dating someone, even though they were older men. There are clips of them in my videos.

Btw the American guy Robert that was in many of my Krakow videos above still lives in Europe. He lives in Prague now and is married to a Polish woman and has two kids with her and is fairly happy there he saws. But hes a positive upbeat person as you can see in the videos.

So that just goes to show it is possible to settle in Europe long term right? Robert has been there since 2005.

Are you gonna down that too? Lol

Robert also says its easier to approach girls when I'm around. Because my presence creates some type of energy there that makes it easier to talk to girls.
I am not disagreeing with you there. I think this is the fifth post where I am telling you that if you want the life of a tourist, visiting different cities and mingling with foreigners and the odd local, that is indeed fun! It stops being fun the moment you want to start a "settled" life.
Winston wrote:
You also said that the locals in Europe arent as friendly if you live there and see their daily routines. You insinuate that they're no different than Americans. I disagree with that too. They have a different vibe and feel to them. Its hard to put into words. But im sure you guys know what i mean. And so does CE. There is this mature, down to earth vibe that europeans have that americans dont. More of an old soul vibe. I experienced it many times, even on the plane too. So yes they are definitely different, not the same. Why do you try to downplay that hypermak?
Europe is a big place, there are many cultures. A young man from Spain won't act the same as a young man from Hungary or Estonia. The more
"mature" vibe probably refers to the fact that we tend to have more critical sense and we tend to like the pre-crafted, sugarcoated narrative that Americans love, a lot less. If we have to be happy, we need a real reason to be happy.

Take us Italians, Spaniards, or French. We probably know how to have fun, let our hair down, but we can easily get moody if we have something troubling in our lives. We don't like to be optimistic at all costs, simply because we have to project an image of happiness and success at all times. This is one big difference.

That's what I was referring to when I said that the same European man might come across open, friendly and jovial if you meet them in a fun social situation, like a party, but might not be as friendly if you become their friend and meet them during their daily life.

There are lots of people like that in South America, too, perhaps because of the European cultural influences. Argentinians are legendary for this kind of volatile behaviour. :)
Winston wrote:
CE seems to be right that you like to downplay things a lot. I get that sense too. Are you aware you are doing that? Is it subconscious and you don't realize it?

I agree though that any country you go to you will have good and bad experiences and life will feel routine after a while. Thats why you gotta mix it up and visit different cities and towns sometimes.
I am not downplaying, I am just giving you a perspective that is probably still quite alien to you and some other members from the US. If you prefer the sugarcoated, "I was King of EE" narrative, feel free to embrace it but don't be too disappointed if things don't turn out exactly the way you expected.
Winston wrote:
However the point is in Europe and Russia and FSU i definitely felt a lot more ALIVE and in my ELEMENT than in Taiwan or USA. You understand that right?
Yes, that's why I said you should probably go back there, about 3 posts ago. :)
Winston wrote:
Also why do u keep talking about getting a job in Europe? You forget i have passive income and do not need to get a job there. As long as i pay the cost of living of a single man and not try to raise a family, i can afford it. I can easily afford a small apartment. So according to you, my life would be more easy right?
That's a key thing, and confirms me what I wrote on the other post below. Yes, of course, if you're not getting any of the depressing bits of Europe (finding a job, commuting back and forth, having bills to pay) and you like the cooler weather, you will enjoy being in Prague, Kyiv, MIlan...just about anywhere. But the key is not the "old world" people of Europe, is that you are living a life free of commitments.

If you really plan to have that kind of lifestyle, support by passive income, then Mediterranean countries like Spain, Portugal and even Italy would give you a fantastic experience.
Winston wrote:
Either way, Robert works in Prague. I think he teaches English. He also plays in a band. He is happy there doing all that. And he has a wife and kids. So it definitely is possible to be happy in Europe living and working right? Especially if you have your own family.
Of course it's possible to be happy, Winston! I am just saying you have to be aware of the challenges in settling in a European country for good.
Winston wrote:
So why do you downplay all that hypermak? How do you explain Robert's situation? He is a happy go lucky type too. You can see many video clips of him in my Poland compilation video above.

Just because your destiny path and Robert's are different doesn't mean all expats and HAers should follow your path and not his right? You understand not everyone's destiny is the same right? Your path and CE also are on different paths. That doesnt mean his path is wrong and yours is right, right?
How is my "destiny path" different from your friend Robert's? We are both foreigners working in a different country. I am not married yet and having a bit of fun whenever I can (and I can often :) ).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well ok Hypermak. If you think this debate/discussion is getting circular, you are free to quit it.

But I have one more question I want to ask you, for clarification, if you don't mind.

You seem to insinuate that in Europe, people are superficially friendly to you if you are just passing through and will show you around and have coffee or dinner with you, and then forget you the next day. In other words, you seem to imply that everyone you meet will just be "temporarily hospitable" to you, as if that is a 100 percent rule. Did I interpret you right?

That is where I would contest you, based on real life experience and common sense. There is 100 percent in social interactions. In real life, there are always those you meet who are superfically friendly to you for one or two days. And there are always locals who like you who will hang out with you more than once or see you regularly and consider you either a friend or a local hang out buddy.

In Angeles City, I meet some tourists passing through whom I see once and go bar hopping with once, and never see again. And there are local expats, military vets, American men, etc that meet me and like me or find me interesting that want to see me again and meet again. And they will reply to me everytime I send them sms or a text on messenger.

So in real life, some people you see only once, others you see regularly who are glad to hang out with you, etc. I'm sure you know that. But in all your posts above, you seem to imply that everyone I meet in Europe will only be superficially nice and only want to see me once. That's simply bogus. There is no basis for that. I'm sure you know better than that. But you keep implying that in your posts. Why? Can you clarify this one point at least before you go?

Now it is true that not everyone can be your close friends. Most people you meet in travels or in life will only be an acquaintance. That's true of life in general. No one has time to be close friends with hundreds of people. You can at most have a maximum of only 3 or 4 close friends. However, even so, I can and do meet people who want to see me regularly more than once. The percentages vary of course, depending on the place.

You are partially right in that many girls are only friendly superficially to a foreign male stranger and will only go out with you once or twice, and then after that will have no more time and go back to their regular life. Especially girls from Couchsurfing or Hospitality Club. I experienced that in Russia and Eastern Europe too. But that doesn't mean 100 percent of girls will do that, or 100 percent of local Europeans will do that. Plus there are always men and older people who are more down to earth who will have more time to hang out regularly and have deep talks, just as I experience in Angeles City with older American military vets who are retired and down to earth and hate feminism too, like we do.

You agree right? If so, why do I get the impression that you think that 100 percent of people will only see me once out of superficial hospitality and that's it? You know that life isn't like that right? You're not dumb right? You know that in life, there are some people who will only be friendly one day, and others who will like to see you again more than once and become a friend or whatever, right? That's life and applies to all of us, including you. I'm sure you know that. It's common sense.

So why did you insinuate otherwise? Why do you insinuate extremes? Can you explain or clarify this at least before you quit this discussion, in case I misunderstood you? Did I misunderstand you? This is just my honest question. Thanks for reading my honest question.