Reasons to move abroad? Because Swans!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Reasons to move abroad? Because Swans!

Post by Nomad »

Here in Finland, its known as a travel destination to see nature during summer, and its not hard to see why.

So my wife and I got done visiting her aunt, and we was heading back home. Well there is a place here in this town called "The Island", which is basically a small island that you can only get to from a bridge. There is only one so its a nice secluded place that people enjoy visiting from time to time. On the drive home, I spotted 2 fat birds and wondered what they was. So we stopped the car and went to go take a look.

Sure enough they was swans enjoying their time around the small pond. Ducks also came up to us, expecting us to feed them some bread, but I can post pictures of those later I suppose.

One of the things I hated about living in America was it was a concrete jungle near the city, but here its all green pasture wherever you look. This to me, anyway, is how man was suppose to live. With nature, and not destroying it to put up more Walmarts. Anyways, here a few pictures from Finland. I hope you guys enjoy.

Also, to make this thread more interesting. If your already expat yourself, perhaps post beautiful pictures to where you expated too! I would love to see what other destinations you guys picked to expat to and what they have to offer!

chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Reasons to move abroad? Because Swans!

Post by chanta76 »

Nomad,

Surprise Finland worked out for you. I mean Finland is one of those Nordic countries if I am correct and the assumption here is that any women from the west is no good.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

chanta76 wrote:and the assumption here is that any women from the west is no good.
Ahh but you have to go upstream to colder waters. The colder it is, the more fresher the fish are! :lol:

I heard stories of european women being horrible just like their American counter-parts. I have yet to experience that here in Finland but i'll keep you updated.
Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

Nomad wrote:
chanta76 wrote:and the assumption here is that any women from the west is no good.
Ahh but you have to go upstream to colder waters. The colder it is, the more fresher the fish are! :lol:

I heard stories of european women being horrible just like their American counter-parts. I have yet to experience that here in Finland but i'll keep you updated.
Hey Nomad, that's awesome you made it to Finland. How long have you been there? That country is home to some of my favorite metal bands such as Nightwish, Stratovarius, and Sonata Arctica.

Nice photo's up there in the OP. Later this year, I am going on a vacation abroad. I haven't decided where yet, maybe, Poland or Russia. What are the visa requirements there in Finland?

How far north from Helsinki to find the "fresh fish?" :D
Smart men learn from their mistakes. Wise men learn from other men's mistakes.

Knowledge is gained in bad experiences, but confidence is only gained through positive experiences.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

Guyver wrote:
Nomad wrote:

Hey Nomad, that's awesome you made it to Finland. How long have you been there? That country is home to some of my favorite metal bands such as Nightwish, Stratovarius, and Sonata Arctica.

Nice photo's up there in the OP. Later this year, I am going on a vacation abroad. I haven't decided where yet, maybe, Poland or Russia. What are the visa requirements there in Finland?

How far north from Helsinki to find the "fresh fish?" :D
I been here alittle over 3 weeks. So i'm still a new-born expat, and i'm sure plenty of disappointments will come my way. But over-all, i'm much happier here than I have been in America.

Visa requirements are, if you are American, you get 90 day free visa, no question asks. If your anything else, you got some papers to fill out to visit.

Haha, well traveling up-north to me means Finland. From Helsinki, my fish comes from western waters.