How is it possible to be "extroverted" in the modern world?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Nailer
Freshman Poster

How is it possible to be "extroverted" in the modern world?

Post by Nailer »

Oftentimes guys get blamed for being "introverted". With a few exceptions of places I know I can go and have a good time, it does not appear to me that modern life has any social outlets at all. I see cute girls walking around on the street everywhere, but I never see people talking to strangers in public. Everyone goes about their business silently, and it is clear that talking to strangers is a huge taboo. The only people who might talk to you are salespeople or people trying to scam you.

If you go to a bar you are not supposed to talk to other groups of people. You are supposed to leave them alone and respect their privacy.

If you go to a park you are not supposed to bother other people.

If you go to some kind of social club, only a small subsection of the population will show up, like 25 people in a city of four million.

This is not a U.S. phenomenon. Europe is the same way, probably worse.

It is very easy to live in a large city and be completely alone, surrounded by people at all times. I find it very unnerving. It is not just me. I NEVER see two strangers interact. I can't even imagine how it would occur, except in a few beach communities I know of.

I understand that I need to initiate conversations with other people, but shouldn't I only have to initiate 50% of those conversations? If zero interactions are occurring between me and others, and I also see zero interactions occurring between other people, what does that tell you about the social norms of life in a big city?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How is it possible to be "extroverted" in the modern world?

Post by gsjackson »

Nailer wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 9:53 am
Oftentimes guys get blamed for being "introverted". With a few exceptions of places I know I can go and have a good time, it does not appear to me that modern life has any social outlets at all. I see cute girls walking around on the street everywhere, but I never see people talking to strangers in public. Everyone goes about their business silently, and it is clear that talking to strangers is a huge taboo. The only people who might talk to you are salespeople or people trying to scam you.

If you go to a bar you are not supposed to talk to other groups of people. You are supposed to leave them alone and respect their privacy.

If you go to a park you are not supposed to bother other people.

If you go to some kind of social club, only a small subsection of the population will show up, like 25 people in a city of four million.

This is not a U.S. phenomenon. Europe is the same way, probably worse.

It is very easy to live in a large city and be completely alone, surrounded by people at all times. I find it very unnerving. It is not just me. I NEVER see two strangers interact. I can't even imagine how it would occur, except in a few beach communities I know of.

I understand that I need to initiate conversations with other people, but shouldn't I only have to initiate 50% of those conversations? If zero interactions are occurring between me and others, and I also see zero interactions occurring between other people, what does that tell you about the social norms of life in a big city?
And you're young. When you get older hardly anyone will initiate a conversation who doesn't want your money.

But then, that may just be changing times. When I was young the U.S. wasn't a culture completely paranoid about talking to strangers. Then too, it wasn't a culture consisting almost entirely of brain-dead narcissists -- by way of explaining the paranoia. Don't know what to tell you, except amen.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Re: How is it possible to be "extroverted" in the modern world?

Post by Wolfeye »

America has a strong sense of what's appropriate, no matter how much of a rebel they're portrayed in movies or how little social grace they have in real life. They're usually like a little Puritan, but dialed down. Germans & English are the best comparisons (and the cultural heritage of the place).

They're not okay with liking something, either. They definitely have what's called a "negative identity." This causes a lotmofnprovlems, but also keeps a lot of problems from being fixed.

Narcissism is included in this, whether it's the root of it or not, I don't know. The only thing they'll take any risk for is their image. Too bad the country working like shit doesn't register as an image detriment to them.