American/British Company vs Nordic/European Company

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
ArchibaultNew
Freshman Poster

American/British Company vs Nordic/European Company

Post by ArchibaultNew »

I am some friends have experience with these companies and wanted to share my observations.

American/British Company
-It's own by a Rich guy who has no passion for the service he is offering.
-The Boss and maybe the second in the command have the final say on everything.
-Employees work for short term and have no passion for what they are doing.
-Employees are only there to make as much money as possible, everyone will talk about how to get paid extra hours.
-The Boss will praise the employees if they spend the least amount of money as possible.
-Everyone brings their own food and sits at an empty room.
-The Boss has an "obsession" with cutting costs.
-Employees can be hired and fired easily and with minimal explanation.
-There's no sense of "History" in the company in fact, there's almost no portraits of anyone involved.
-Once the business is less profitable the owner will sell it and move on.
-The employees have no respect for the owner. They seem him as "just some guy."
-There's little to no chance of "social mobility" within the company. You sign a upfront contract where stipulate your time in the company and then once that's done you don't continue working there.
-Employees see each other as competition. Everyone will be competitive with you.
-Friendships between employees are highly discouraged. You are expected to treat everyone as strictly professional and keep your private life separate from the business.
-Dating between colleges is forbidden as to "not cloud your judgment." They'll come up with tons of other reasons. But in general its just seems like a "bad idea" to try to "date your colleagues."
-It's all about "Virtue Signaling" and talking about minorities...etc. All talk but no action.
-A lot of them are very prude people who anything that can be considered fun is looked down upon.

Nordic European Company
-The owner has a passion for the business and started from the ground up.
-Most decisions are made by the team.
-Employees are highly passionate and want to work there.
-Employees are there to build a community with others, making extra money is not their primary motivation.
-The Boss cares about build a community and will buy their employees meals, clothes, trips.
-You are provided food at the canteen or if there's no canteen the owner will buy everyone food.
-The owner is not as worried about "cutting costs."
-Its harder to fire employees and in general they'll find ways to accommodate people.
-There's a sense of history in the company there's portraits of the founders, the owner, the key employees who made a different.
-The owner will try to keep his business afloat and sometimes the government might get involve to ensure.
-The employees have a 'high respect" for the owner. They look up to him and his accomplishments.
-There's a mid-chance of social mobility, the company rewards employees who are loyal to the company. It's no unusual to start a a low prestige position. But then in 1-2 years to be at a much better role.
-Employees don't see each other as competition. They will also be more willing to socialize with each other after work.
-There's less of a division. And sometimes the company will organize events where employees go and party together.
-Dating between employees is not forbidden. And you can do with your private life as you please. Nobody is going to be asking.
-There's way less talk about "diversity" yet many employees are integrated much better. For instance, I meant a African American who was static about working in this European company where the company helped him funding his trips.
-A lot of them are fun people who like party and have a good time.

Conclusion: Its seems the America and British Company is much more Austere type of company will the European one is more nurturing.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: American/British Company vs Nordic/European Company

Post by MrMan »

I have worked for British and American companies. Most points were not true.
The British company was huge and I do not think I knew anyone who knew the chairman or CEO except probably the national CEO, the COO and one British expat. It is possible a Singaporean friend of mine who was a head of business had. Never asked. I probably could through Facebook. We went to the same Bible study. People had a lack of social interaction and comaraderie so a new department manager encouraged it through a retreat, karaoke night, and encouraging us to take expat visitors to lunch. Except I was on a term contract.

Companies are of different sizes. The founders could be a group or the founder could be a historical figure. There are also mergers between companies with different founders. Respect for the chair and CEO were part of the culture at the British firm. Internally I did not sense much competition. I was at an overseas office.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: American/British Company vs Nordic/European Company

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

I agree, American companies are very cutthroat, profit driven, and competitive and have no unions.
Germanic Nordic companies are less cutthroat, competitive and have strong worker's unions.

In addition, American companies are good for the employers and ownership class while Germanic Nordic ones are good for the workers.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!