If I move abroad, how do I find a job?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Does anyone have advice for anyone with IT degrees and IT certifications to find work abroad. I tried through AIESEC (student-run organization to work in Europe but the job wasn't what I wanted to do so I had to return home). Currently, I am thinking what else I can do to work in Europe/Asia.

Also since I am non-white, it must be hard for me to find work. I was wondering if it is difficult to go to a city to provide IT service for English speakers in the area? I am just thinking that unless there is freelance work, or proof reading for English documents, I cannot or do not think I can teach English.

I have a degree in Information Systems and IT certs but I need a little advice on what I can do.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Christianfilipinacom
Freshman Poster

Post by Christianfilipinacom »

We hire people for these types of skills from odesk.com. There are many other similar payment and reputation management sites out there as well.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: If I move abroad, how do I find a job?

Post by Jester »

Linc4Love wrote:It's easy to say MOVE, but of you don't find work that can provide a steady income and an acceptable quality of living, it's easier said than done.

I think it would be harder in my case because the job demands appear to in linguistics. because I'm deaf learning a second language is extremely difficult. I have a hard enough time with English as it is. :D Barring that, what other job possibilities abroad could I explore? I have a bachelors and associates degree and worked ten years as a government civilian, but other than that my resume is pretty thin.
Seems like the obvious answer would be working for the U.S. government, either in AID-type work in a consulate, or with USDA, or with State Department.

I would register for the Civil Service exam, and also for the Foreign Service exam. Once you qualify on one or both of those, then you can start a serious job-hunt. You may even be able to get a politician or bureaucrat you know to call and set up an interview for you, once you have passed an exam and are thus eligible.

PS Keep in mind I am decades out of date on those things, but both are worth a quick google if you haven't done so.