Why is road rage mainly an American thing?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Recent Example of Thai Road Rage

Post by Rock »

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/07 ... 60565.html

By The Nation
Published on July 19, 2011

A 63-year-old man became the latest victim of road rage in Bangkok after being fatally stabbed yesterday afternoon. Chaiwat Limpawatcharapong was found dead inside his car on Pracha-Utit road.
He had been stabbed repeatedly in his neck, head, back, the base of his ear, and his stomach.
"We had just dropped some monks off at the Phra Ram IX Temple," his son Chatchawas Limpawatcharapong, 31, told police, "Then, my dad got angry when another car suddenly cut in front of ours."

Some aggressive driving followed, ending with a collision between the two vehicles.

"A guy stepped out and despite my protest, my dad got out too. They quarrelled and fought. When my dad came back, he was holding his neck and was bleeding. He lost consciousness a short time later," Chatchawas said.

Police identified the attacker as Kanok Poonnim, 35.

His girlfriend described him as hot-tempered. She said she got out of his car after the stabbing because she did not want to be seen as an accomplice.

Kanok, a middle-level executive at an insurance company, fled the scene but later surrendered to police. "I was driving to work when I felt so angry at the way [Chaiwat] drove. When he got out of his car, he also used very rude words.

"I would like to apologise to the victim's family," he said.

Police charged Kanok with murder before releasing him. He is due to meet investigators at 9am today.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

"Police charged Kanok with murder before releasing him."

What!? He's charged with murder and they just let him walk?!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Think Different wrote:"Police charged Kanok with murder before releasing him."

What!? He's charged with murder and they just let him walk?!
It seems like some types of murder (perhaps spur of the moment anger motivated types) are not the most serious crimes in Thailand. He very well may get less then 10 years. On the other hand, getting caught in possession of a bit of yaba or herein can get you several decades.

BTW, I've seen Thai road rage play out first hand. Its pretty scary to witness.