Want to feel better, eat more protein!

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Want to feel better, eat more protein!

Post by yick »

Lucas88 wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 10:42 am
@yick This is a very useful thread. Thank you for making it.

To tell you the truth, I'm in a bit of a rut after a long layoff from training due to chronic health problems and I've been eating a lot of crap in the form of pizzas, pasta and even sugar. :(

But lately I've been wanting to make a good meal plan.

I see that you recommend 1.6 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight for building muscle and enjoying a good level of energy.

I consulted ChatGPT about the ideal quantity of protein intake for a male athlete and the reply was between 1.2 and 2.0 grams per kg of bodyweight. So your recommendation was exactly midway of that range.

If we take your recommendation of 1.6 grams per kg of bodyweight, then a guy like me at 85 kg would need 136 grams of protein per day. :)
That's right! :D if you get a good whey protein powder and concentrate on the protein aspect of a meal - make sure there is loads of meat and fish in your main meal then you will hit that amount easily. If you eat meat then I find chicken thighs to taste great and are an excellent protein source - I can easily eat three chicken thighs on their own and that is 60 grams of protein right there! If you eat meat, it is going to be pretty easy to get to 136 grams a day.
calmlife
Freshman Poster

Re: Want to feel better, eat more protein!

Post by calmlife »

I really need protein. I'm fluctuating day by the day.