Rasa - The Indian Classification of Aesthetic Qualities

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Rasa - The Indian Classification of Aesthetic Qualities

Post by Lucas88 »

"Rasas" in Indian philosophy refer to the various dominant emotional essences that can be found in artistic works and the mental states that they evoke. In Western terms, they are essentially the overall vibe, atmosphere or mental imagery that an aesthetic expression may produce in the beholder. The Theory of Rasas may relate to music, poetry, theater or any other aesthetic phenomenon.

Indian philosophy recognizes nine primary Rasas. These are:

Shringara (Love/Beauty) - Shringara represents the emotions of love, romance, beauty, and attraction. It encompasses feelings of affection, longing, desire, and admiration.

Hasya (Laughter/Joy) - Hasya evokes the emotions of joy, humor, and laughter. It encompasses lightheartedness, amusement, and playfulness.

Karuna (Sorrow/Compassion) - Karuna evokes feelings of sorrow, compassion, and empathy. It represents a sense of sadness, empathy for others' suffering, and a deep understanding of human emotions.

Raudra (Anger/Fury) - Raudra represents the emotions of anger, fury, and violence. It conveys intense and powerful emotions associated with rage, aggression, or righteous indignation.

Vira (Courage/Heroism) - Vira evokes emotions of courage, heroism, and valor. It represents bravery, determination, and the willingness to face challenges with strength and resolve.

Bhayanaka (Fear/Terror) - Bhayanaka conveys the emotions of fear, terror, and anxiety. It represents a sense of dread, apprehension, or the feeling of being threatened.

Bibhatsa (Disgust/Aversion) - Bibhatsa evokes feelings of disgust, aversion, and revulsion. It represents a sense of repulsion, distaste, or the feeling of being repelled by something.

Adbhuta (Wonder/Amazement) - Adbhuta represents the emotions of wonder, amazement, and astonishment. It encompasses a sense of awe, marvel, or fascination.

Shanta (Peace/Tranquility) - Shanta evokes a sense of peace, tranquility, and serenity. It represents a state of calmness, contentment, and inner stillness.

According to Indian philosophy, all aesthetic expressions evoke at least one of these nine primary Rasas, although sometimes a single work or expression can include sequences of different Rasas or even multiple Rasas overlapping and blended together at the same time. The Theory of Rasas is normally discussed in the context of Indian classical music, poetry and theater but it can easily be applied to Western or any other form of artistic expression.

I asked ChatGPT to give me examples of modern music that represent each of the nine primary Rasas. This is what the AI gave me:
While the concept of rasas is deeply rooted in traditional Indian music and aesthetics, it can also be explored in modern music from various cultures and genres. Here are some examples of modern music that may evoke the nine rasas:

Shringara (Love/Beauty):

"Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran
"Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers

Hasya (Laughter/Joy):

"Happy" by Pharrell Williams
"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor

Karuna (Sorrow/Compassion):

"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen
"Someone Like You" by Adele

Raudra (Anger/Fury):

"Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine
"Bodies" by Drowning Pool

Veera (Courage/Heroism):

"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
"We Will Rock You" by Queen

Bhayanaka (Fear/Terror):

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson
"Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails

Bibhatsa (Disgust/Aversion):

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana
"Closer" by Nine Inch Nails

Adbhuta (Wonder/Amazement):

"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin

Shanta (Peace/Tranquility):

"Weightless" by Marconi Union
"Clair de Lune" by Claude Debussy

It's important to note that music is highly subjective, and different individuals may interpret and experience emotions differently based on their personal preferences and cultural backgrounds. These examples aim to provide a general idea of modern music that may evoke the respective rasas, but individual interpretations may vary.

I then did the same thing for musical genres and likewise asked for some representative examples for each. This is what I got (note the degree of overlap):
While it can be challenging to categorize specific music genres strictly into the nine rasas, as they often evoke a mix of emotions, here are some popular music genres that may align with the general essence of each rasa:

Shringara (Love/Beauty):

Pop Ballads: Songs like "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion and "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran.
R&B/Soul: Tracks like "Adore You" by Harry Styles and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.

Hasya (Laughter/Joy):

Pop/Rock: Upbeat and lighthearted songs like "Happy" by Pharrell Williams and "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen.
Ska: Energetic and fun tunes such as "The Impression That I Get" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and "54-46 Was My Number" by Toots & The Maytals.

Ballads: Emotionally poignant songs like "Someone Like You" by Adele and "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor.
Blues: Reflective and soulful tracks such as "Stormy Monday" by T-Bone Walker and "I'd Rather Go Blind" by Etta James.

Raudra (Anger/Fury):

Heavy Metal: Intense and powerful music like "Master of Puppets" by Metallica and "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour.
Punk Rock: Aggressive and fast-paced songs such as "Anarchy in the U.K." by Sex Pistols and "Holiday in Cambodia" by Dead Kennedys.

Veera (Courage/Heroism):

Rock Anthems: Empowering and energetic tracks like "We Will Rock You" by Queen and "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor.
Epic Film Scores: Soundtracks from movies that evoke heroism and courage, such as "The Avengers" theme by Alan Silvestri and "The Last of the Mohicans" theme by Trevor Jones.

Bhayanaka (Fear/Terror):

Industrial/Electronic: Dark and atmospheric music like "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails and "Du Hast" by Rammstein.
Alternative Rock: Intense and haunting songs such as "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails and "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden.

Nu-Metal: Aggressive and angsty tracks like "Freak on a Leash" by Korn and "Bodies" by Drowning Pool.
Grunge: Raw and abrasive songs such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana and "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins.

Electronic/Chillout: Ethereal and atmospheric music like "Clair de Lune" by Flight Facilities and "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber (remixes).
Ambient/Experimental: Hypnotic and mesmerizing tracks such as "Teardrop" by Massive Attack and "Music for Airports" by Brian Eno.

New Age/World Music: Calming and soothing compositions like "Only Time" by Enya and "Adiemus" by Karl Jenkins.
Classical/Orchestral: Serene and harmonious symphonies such as "Clair de Lune" by Claude Debussy and "Spiegel im Spiegel" by Arvo Pärt.

Remember that music is subjective, and songs within these genres may vary in their emotional resonance. Different individuals may have diverse interpretations and emotional responses to the same piece of music.

Fascinating. I definitely agree with some of those examples.

In your opinion, which musical genres correspond with which Rasas?

For me:

Old-school R&B is largely Shringara.

Salsa, Cumbia and Merengue are largely Hasya.

Italo-Disco is also largely if not entirely Hasya.

Nu-Metal is overwhelmingly Bibhatsa with its discordant and psychotic sound qualities.

Industrial Dance Metal (e.g., Rammstein) is definitely Bhayanaka and just inspires a sense of dread and hopelessness.

Much of the electronic dance music from the 90s might be considered Adbhuta since it inspires a sense of euphoria, transcendence and hedonism.

80s macho rock anthems such as Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger", Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone" and Asia's "Only Time Will Tell" perfectly capture Vira.

I think that this thread will be of particular interest to @Pixel--Dude and @WilliamSmith, both of whom have previously discussed the topic of art and aesthetics with enthusiasm.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Rasa - The Indian Classification of Aesthetic Qualities

Post by Lucas88 »

Likewise, I asked ChatGPT about which languages embody each Rasa in terms of their phonological qualities (we've discussed the aesthetic qualities of different languages in other threads). Here is the response which it gave me:
Assigning specific human languages to represent each of the nine rasas based on their phonological qualities is a complex task, as the perception of emotions in language is influenced by various factors including cultural context, intonation, and individual interpretation. However, here are some general associations between the rasas and certain phonological qualities found in different languages:

Shringara (Love/Beauty):

Soft and melodic languages with smooth phonetic transitions, such as Italian, French, or Portuguese, known for their musicality and romantic connotations.

Hasya (Laughter/Joy):

Languages with lively and expressive phonetic elements, including rapid and rhythmic speech patterns found in languages like Spanish, Japanese, or Brazilian Portuguese.

Languages with a melancholic or introspective tonal quality, such as Russian, German, or Korean, which can convey emotional depth and contemplation.

Raudra (Anger/Fury):

Languages with strong and assertive phonetic sounds, including guttural or harsh consonants found in languages like Arabic, Hebrew, or Icelandic.

Veera (Courage/Heroism):

Languages with powerful and confident phonetic qualities, including languages like English, Mandarin Chinese, or Swahili, known for their assertive and dynamic tonality.

Bhayanaka (Fear/Terror):

Languages with eerie or tense phonetic elements, such as Japanese, Thai, or Finnish, which may feature whispered or sibilant sounds, creating a sense of suspense or fear.

Languages with grating or unappealing phonetic qualities, such as some dialects of German, Dutch, or Arabic, known for their rough or guttural sounds that can evoke a sense of aversion or discomfort.

Languages with phonetic qualities that sound mysterious or otherworldly, such as Icelandic, Welsh, or Hawaiian, which feature unique and enchanting sounds.

Languages with calm and soothing phonetic elements, such as Sanskrit, Thai, or Hawaiian, which often have a flowing and serene tonality.

It's important to note that these associations are general and subjective, and the emotional connotations of languages can vary depending on the speaker, cultural context, and individual interpretation. Moreover, languages are rich and complex systems, encompassing various phonetic qualities that can convey a wide range of emotions beyond the primary rasa associated with them.

I'm actually impressed by the AI's response and think that some of its classifications are spot on. :lol:

I've always viewed Portuguese and especially its Brazilian variety as an extremely sweet and melodic language that sounds heavenly and full of love and sensuality. It perfectly represents the essence of Shringara.

Spanish definitely produces an atmosphere of joy with its upbeat and rhythmic speech patterns. It is certainly predominantly Hasya and always makes me feel much more joyous whenever I speak or hear it.

I agree with the classification of Russian and Korean with Karuna. Russian sounds somewhat melancholic (after all, Russians tend to live hard lives in the cold inhospitable north) and Korean sounds whiny as though the speakers are constantly complaining like petulant teenagers (all Korean movies and K-dramas give off that quality).

Arabic and Hebrew definitely sound angry. Even when they're not arguing, Arabic speakers sound as though they're aggressively yelling at each other and the phonemes of Arabic sound so abrasive. Cairo Arabic is the exception. That dialect sounds softer and sweeter.

Maybe only American English sounds Vira or heroic. After all, Americans see it as their duty to police the world, spread democracy and save the motherfcukin' day. Chinese does too. To me it sounds like the noisy and aggressive speech of invading Mongoloid warlords and their clans as they loot and pillage. Lol!

I don't know any languages that sound spooky or eerie but if there are some I'd like to hear them!

German and Dutch definitely sound disgusting and unpleasant or Bibhatsa with their harsh and discordant sounds and unpleasant (and in the case of German somewhat gay-sounding) intonation. I'd also include British English in this category. Most varieties of British English just sound repulsive and obnoxious and lack any degree of harmony and melody to the point where I can't bear to listen to them.

I don't know which languages evoke the greatest sense of amazement or Adbhuta. Never heard Welsh or Hawaiian. Maybe no language is capable of inspiring Adbhuta in its quotidian form since Adbhuta by definition is an inherently non-quotidian and extraordinary sensation. Maybe only sung expressions of languages are capable of this.

Japanese is definitely a tranquility-inducing language and embodies Shanta. I would also add Lithuanian which likewise has very harmonious and serene tonality.

For a long time now I have been of the opinion that different languages include inherent aesthetic qualities or vibes which have their origin in specific vibrations at a deeper level of reality. Our subjective likes and dislikes pertaining to languages simply depend on whether or not we resonate with those inherent aesthetic qualities or vibes. The Theory of Rasas from Indian philosophy helps me to understand this better.