Any of you have recurring dreams?

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Any of you have recurring dreams?

Post by Lucas88 »

Winston wrote:
December 23rd, 2010, 8:26 am
Do any of you have recurring places in your dreams? Or recurring themes? Or familiar people that you don't know in real life but you know in dreams that recurr too?
For many years I used to dream about an alternative version of my hometown which had all kinds of features that don't exist in real life. These included a haunted mansion next to the cornfield, a tropical jungle within a canyon, an outdoor concert theater, a mysterious pyramid, a pair of ugly skyscrapers, an eye-catching house with a winding path, and an unfinished construction site. The alternative features never change—they are always in the same location and look the same even a decade later.

I tried researching the phenomenon but found very little written about it. I even invented a name for the alternative features: "recurring dreamscape anomalies". Why are the alternative features such as the haunted mansion and the tropical jungle within a canyon always exactly the same even though years elapse? Could my mind be connecting to some astral version of my hometown? Or could it be a thoughtform that my mind has created and occasionally connects to in the dream state?

Curiously, when I moved to Valencia, I started to repeatedly dream about an alternative version of that city with its own recurring dreamscape anomalies too.
Cornfed wrote:
November 27th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Weird, I keep having dreams where I am back in high school or university and haven’t been attending classes. Or else I can’t find the classes or they are physically difficult to get to, like having to climb up buildings under construction. Eventually I think “Wait, haven’t I already graduated?” and eventually wake up. It is generally a relief to wake up. There are other dreams that are similarly studies in frustration, such as punching someone who can’t seem to be injured or some chick coming on to me but I can’t close the deal.
I often have a similar recurring dream where I'm back in college except in some ugly dystopian city and have to reach the top floor of a skyscraper or tall building in order to make it to an important class. In this dream my acrophobia is magnified tenfold and I'm gripped by immense dread as I take elevators and run up neverending stairways while fearing structural collapse. I always hate those dreams. :(
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 6:57 am
Winston wrote:
December 23rd, 2010, 8:26 am
Do any of you have recurring places in your dreams? Or recurring themes? Or familiar people that you don't know in real life but you know in dreams that recurr too?
For many years I used to dream about an alternative version of my hometown which had all kinds of features that don't exist in real life. These included a haunted mansion next to the cornfield, a tropical jungle within a canyon, an outdoor concert theater, a mysterious pyramid, a pair of ugly skyscrapers, an eye-catching house with a winding path, and an unfinished construction site. The alternative features never change—they are always in the same location and look the same even a decade later.

I tried researching the phenomenon but found very little written about it. I even invented a name for the alternative features: "recurring dreamscape anomalies". Why are the alternative features such as the haunted mansion and the tropical jungle within a canyon always exactly the same even though years elapse? Could my mind be connecting to some astral version of my hometown? Or could it be a thoughtform that my mind has created and occasionally connects to in the dream state?

Curiously, when I moved to Valencia, I started to repeatedly dream about an alternative version of that city with its own recurring dreamscape anomalies too.
Cornfed wrote:
November 27th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Weird, I keep having dreams where I am back in high school or university and haven’t been attending classes. Or else I can’t find the classes or they are physically difficult to get to, like having to climb up buildings under construction. Eventually I think “Wait, haven’t I already graduated?” and eventually wake up. It is generally a relief to wake up. There are other dreams that are similarly studies in frustration, such as punching someone who can’t seem to be injured or some chick coming on to me but I can’t close the deal.
I often have a similar recurring dream where I'm back in college except in some ugly dystopian city and have to reach the top floor of a skyscraper or tall building in order to make it to an important class. In this dream my acrophobia is magnified tenfold and I'm gripped by immense dread as I take elevators and run up neverending stairways while fearing structural collapse. I always hate those dreams. :(
I've had a few recurring dreams. They don't always play out the same way, but they're always in the same locations so I guess you could say they are recurring dreamscape anomalies?

One is at my recently departed auntie's house. The house is always haunted by evil spirits and there's occasionally vortex portals to other dimensions like what @CaptainSkelebob2 talked about in one of his previous threads.

Another is some hotel. I'm always staying on the top floor trapped in some hotel room. I stand on the balcony watching zombies ravage the streets below. It never plays out the same but there's always a hotel and zombies and I'm stuck on a high floor.

I keep having dreams about aliens, buy I'll have to go into more detail another time. I feel exhaustsxnz
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Felsen
Freshman Poster

Post by Felsen »

Recurring dreams are common and often negative, but they may have different meanings for different people.