Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, self-hating, lonely, alienating, negative, soulless?!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, closed, stuck u

Post by Winston »

droid wrote:
Winston wrote: 1. In Taiwan, you are supposed to meet people at school and work, or through mutual friends only. Not by talking to strangers. Taiwanese girls prefer to date and befriend guys they went to school with or work with. That's what makes them COMFORTABLE. To them, being comfortable around a guy is everything. They'd prefer to talk to an ugly guy they know and went to school with and are comfortable with, than a handsome attractive stranger. This means if you are a stranger, you virtually have no chance, because Taiwanese females are uncomfortable, closed and stuck up toward strangers.
^^That's pretty much it man.
As i've tried to convey before, rapport and luck are probably the most important ingredients in most of the world, although everyone refuses to acknowledge this. Some guys dwell on "it's all about looks" or "it's all about money" (that one i really don't get), or "game". Outside of the Anglo-world looks are really secondary. In actuality you really don't see that much 'approaching', 'picking up' or people meeting on the street or even in bars.

The problem is that independent guys that don't end up in the right settings face some real hurdles.
For example, if you did not go to the university and followed certain majors, and/or if you don't have a formal job in certain professions, or if you don't have a local family. Then, building circle, rapport or literally 'getting lucky' is a LOT more difficult.
Yes you hit the nail on the head. In China, the men don't even turn their head to look when a hot girl walks by. I can't understand why. lol. I always look. A lot of guys here and in PUA who thinks it's all about looks or money don't really understand how most relationships develop. Women are very big on familiarity, not novelty when it comes to people. They prefer meeting people through their circles, school, work, etc. But that's in Asia. It seems that American women are all business at work and don't date coworkers or flirt with them.

However, how come it's easy to meet girls via cold approach in China, Russia, Eastern Europe, SE Asia though? How come the "no talking to strangers, only talk to those in your clique, only meet people at school/work" rule doesn't apply? It only seems to apply to North America, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong.

Also, my baffling mystery question above could also be applied to the US. I could also ask:

"How come out in public in America, you see couples everywhere, especially in the suburbs? It looks like everyone can get a wife or partner in America. But in reality, every girl you approach is creeped out and will tell you she has a boyfriend if you ask her out. And flirtation is a taboo. So how are you supposed to hook up in America?"
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:
MatureDJ wrote:I thought that the Chinamen who went to Taiwan were aligned with the anti-communists, and that there weren't a lot of folks there before then.
Well, yeah you are talking about the Nationalist Party in China that lost the civil war against Mao's Communist Party. They then became known as the KMT, or Kuo Ming Tan. But that's a group of political factions and their soldiers. I was referring to the immigrants that went to Taiwan before that. Before the 1940's. Why would they leave China and go to Taiwan? To get away from others? I don't know. Ask Rock or Momopi on that. They know a lot more about Taiwan's history than I do. Or use Wikipedia or something. lol

I would say though that people who move to islands are usually trying to "get away from it all" and get away from society too. So they are trying to isolate themselves, not connect with others.
When the Dutch colonized TW in 1624 they eventually brought about 40,000 Chinese to work on plantations.

Koxinga and Ming loyalists conquered the Dutch in TW in 1663, and by 1684 there were approx 100,000 Chinese in TW.

Read a book on TW history.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote:
MatureDJ wrote:I thought that the Chinamen who went to Taiwan were aligned with the anti-communists, and that there weren't a lot of folks there before then.
Well, yeah you are talking about the Nationalist Party in China that lost the civil war against Mao's Communist Party. They then became known as the KMT, or Kuo Ming Tan. But that's a group of political factions and their soldiers. I was referring to the immigrants that went to Taiwan before that. Before the 1940's. Why would they leave China and go to Taiwan? To get away from others? I don't know. Ask Rock or Momopi on that. They know a lot more about Taiwan's history than I do. Or use Wikipedia or something. lol

I would say though that people who move to islands are usually trying to "get away from it all" and get away from society too. So they are trying to isolate themselves, not connect with others.
When the Dutch colonized TW in 1624 they eventually brought about 40,000 Chinese to work on plantations.

Koxinga and Ming loyalists conquered the Dutch in TW in 1663, and by 1684 there were approx 100,000 Chinese in TW.

So most of the immigrants to Taiwan were Chinese slaves brought by the Dutch? But how did they capture 40,000 slaves from China to work on plantations in Taiwan? They just went into China and stole them? And the Chinese government didn't mind? lol. Come on. Or did they buy the slave or bribe them with money?

Where did the slaves come from? I thought they came from Fujian and that's why Taiwanese speak Hokkien?

Were any of the immigrants to Taiwan fugitives and criminals from China? Or those looking for free land like American pioneers?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

El_Caudillo wrote:I'm starting to see Taipei as a place to live in good health and save money. Not really as a place to have fun. It's then not a long or expensive flight to get out and explore other places in Asia. Occasionally I do see a white guy with a girl who is hot. Usually he is under thirty, in shape, good-looking and not speaking Chinese to her -- and she looks like a Taiwanese girl who is very westernized. So I figure they met at college in the West of something. That's the way it is folks.
Well keep in mind that:

1) You should not do something just for the money if your heart is not in it. If you do, you will burn out fast and have no energy to do it everyday.
2) You should pick a culture that you vibe with and have some synergy/chemistry with, not just one that pays you well or even one that provides you a lot of dates.

That's my advice.

El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

El_Caudillo wrote:
I'm starting to see Taipei as a place to live in good health and save money. Not really as a place to have fun. It's then not a long or expensive flight to get out and explore other places in Asia. Occasionally I do see a white guy with a girl who is hot. Usually he is under thirty, in shape, good-looking and not speaking Chinese to her -- and she looks like a Taiwanese girl who is very westernized. So I figure they met at college in the West of something. That's the way it is folks.

Well keep in mind that:

1) You should not do something just for the money if your heart is not in it. If you do, you will burn out fast and have no energy to do it everyday.
2) You should pick a culture that you vibe with and have some synergy/chemistry with, not just one that pays you well or even one that provides you a lot of dates.

That's my advice.
I appreciate it. I once did go with my soul and moved to Argentina - loved it, worked lots of different jobs, met many intellectuals and interesting women, also partied hard. But being broke got old after a couple of years. I actually find China much more draining than Taiwan!
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:
momopi wrote:
Winston wrote:

So most of the immigrants to Taiwan were Chinese slaves brought by the Dutch? But how did they capture 40,000 slaves from China to work on plantations in Taiwan? They just went into China and stole them? And the Chinese government didn't mind? lol. Come on. Or did they buy the slave or bribe them with money?

Where did the slaves come from? I thought they came from Fujian and that's why Taiwanese speak Hokkien?

Were any of the immigrants to Taiwan fugitives and criminals from China? Or those looking for free land like American pioneers?

No, the Dutch was defeated by Ming in 1633 and could not raid Fujian for slaves. They recruited labor from China by offering financial and land incentives to the poor, so they can squeeze them for taxes later.

From Qing government's perspective, Ming loyalists who followed Konxinga to Taiwan in 1661-1683 were all fugitives.

Keep in mind that population estimates from that era are rough estimates. Some claim that there were already 25000 Chinese in Taiwan when the Dutch arrived. Qing government estimated Taiwan population at 2.5 million in 1895 but the Japanese census in 1905 claim 3 million. I think everyone should know that the actual population doesn't add up to nice round numbers like 3 million.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so alienating, lonely, disconnected, negat

Post by Winston »

Dear all,
I've been thinking a lot about why Taiwan sucks and is so alienating, lonely and disconnected, and I think I've figured it out. Here are the key reasons and core problems. This will be a three part essay followed by a FAQ section and quotes from those that agree with me.

Essay title: Why Taiwan is Alienating and Isolating For Authentic Freethinkers and Intellectuals

Table of Contents
Section I. Three fundamental problems with Taiwan.
Section II. The types of people who fit in Taiwan vs the types that don't - Character traits.
Section III. Negative similarities that Taiwan and America share
FAQ's - Debunking objections from critics
Quotes from those who corroborate my observations about Taiwan

Section I. Three fundamental problems with Taiwan.

First, here are two major fundamental problems with Taiwan. When other people talk about Taiwan's problems, they only mention issues related to economics or politics. However, I describe problems that are much deeper that greatly undermine my personal and social freedoms, namely the freedom to be myself and freedom to connect with others. That trumps any economic or political issues.

1. The vibe feels super closed and repressed, which comes across very negatively. It makes you feel like you aren't allowed to express your emotions or true self. Nothing could be a bigger inhibitor of freedom than that, regardless of what political system is in place. It makes me feel weak and crippled, not strong. It's like poison to my aura and energy, the equivalent of Kryptonite to Superman. Taiwan to me is like an island of Kryptonite, like in the 2006 movie "Superman Returns" where Superman lands on an island of Kryptonite and Lex Luthor and his gang start kicking the crap out of him.

Going anywhere in Taiwan feels awkward and draining. I don't feel validated or any healthy sense of connection at all with others. Thus it's a very lonely, alienating and disconnected environment. I know vibes are subjective, but I'm not the only one who feels this way. Many foreigners in Taiwan told me they feel the same way. They will agree if you ask them directly about it, but they don't dare talk about it openly because admitting that you feel alienated and socially disconnected makes you look like a loser. There's also a sense of self-loathing inherent in Taiwanese that creates a very negative feeling and vibe as well.

2. The people are the hardest to connect with in Asia, and perhaps the world. They are very small minded, narrow, petty, closed, superficial, repressed, fearful, weak, overly serious and too prim and proper. It's like they're not even human. This is especially true of the young women. What's worse, they are in their own world, unable to connect with people outside their little bubble. They are on some strange mental wavelength that the rest of the world can't connect with but can only interact with politely. They are so stern and serious that they can't even laugh normally and have no sense of humor (at least not in the western sense). And of course, they lack creativity, imagination and originality (which Asians commonly do), which indicates a strong spiritual repression as well.

While older and elderly Taiwanese folks are more down to earth and open to talking about anything, the younger crowd is quite hollow, soulless and have no social skills. By western standards, they have asbergers syndrome. Especially girls and young females. They are unable to communicate or connect with anyone outside their clique from school or work. And they treat others as though they don't exist. They also have a WEIRD vibe, which other experienced travelers have attested to as well.

What's worse, Taiwanese tend to dislike those who are different than them and ostracize them. Being small minded, this is to be expected of course. What this means is that most Taiwanese social groups will cut you off and ostracize you if you are different than them in any major way, especially if you are more open minded or broad minded than they are. So if you are not small minded and narrow like they are, if you are more spiritually/intellectually evolved than they are, they will dislike you and not invite you to any group outings with them anymore. That's how ridiculous Taiwanese are. Thus if you are an intellectual, freethinker or freespirit, Taiwan will be the WORST place for you. You will feel very alienated, lonely and out of place. Being ostracized, you will not get the healthy social connection you need, and as a result, your mental health will suffer.

In contrast, in most other countries I've been to (not USA of course) people are very curious and try to learn from those who are different than them. Thus differences attract people and stimulate curiosity. People will ask questions to learn from you if you are different or foreign. But not in Taiwan or the USA, no way. Those are the exceptions. This is what people need to know.

So basically, Taiwanese people have the WORST combination of traits. They typically are:

1) Super repressed - with suppressed emotions and personalities.
2) Super closed - not open with strangers or relaxed toward others, and lacking in social skills and communication skills (by western standards at least).
3) Super small minded - narrow, petty and judgmental.

These are the WORST combination of traits a population can have, but believe it or not, that's the general personality of Taiwanese. And they carry them in extremes too! No joke! And in Asia, people tend to be drones and have the same traits/personality, especially women since women soak up their culture the most and reflect it, being that they are the least innovative of the two genders and lack any originality or independent thought. Now you see why I say that they are the HARDEST people in the world to connect with, in my experience at least.

3. The women and young girls in Taiwan have the WORST personality I've ever seen beneath their attractive polite exterior. They are too closed, uptight, stern and serious. You can't make them laugh or charm them. They don't respond to flirtation or humor (like normal women in other countries do). It's like they aren't even human, and they are definitely soulless. What's worse, they are also very petty and hateful. They dislike others easily and cut off communication with you as soon as you say any little thing they don't like or anything that isn't politically correct or positive. Basically, they dislike others who are different and especially who are more OPEN minded than them, which they see as a negative thing that intimidates them (kind of like how evil spirits are intimidated by angels and beings of light, or how vampires are afraid of sunlight).

That's how petty and small minded they are, as well as antisocial. Very often, they will cut off communication with you for no reason at all even, just out of sheer boredom or flakiness. To them, acquaintances are superficial, and they have no interests or social skills. Thus they have the WORST personality ever in women. You can't get more boring than the modern Taiwanese female. They are total DUDS under their polite exterior.

Fortunately, in most of the rest of Asia, women aren't like this. Only the women of wealthy Asian island nations, such like Taiwan, Japan, and Singapore, are like this. Keep in mind that Taiwanese women are not true Chinese women - and they proudly admit this since they despise mainland Chinese - but are more like spoiled Asian American women and their culture is more Japanese than Chinese. In contrast, mainland Chinese women are far more genuine and down-to-earth and hence easier to connect with. They are also more real. I know this from firsthand experience.

Frankly, I've never understood how people hook up in Taiwan or become couples. Women who are hollow, soulless and emotionless are technically impossible to have any chemistry or synergy with. So how can you have a relationship with them? I don't know. Maybe they are just from an alien world that we can't understand or connect with. Even though I am Taiwanese American myself, I still can't figure out how to connect with hollow people or generate any synergy or chemistry with them. Technically it's not possible, at least for authentic soulful types like me. But I guess as they say, like attracts like. And every person has a different destiny. This may just mean that people like me just aren't destined to thrive in Taiwan.

Section II. The types of people who fit in Taiwan vs the types that don't - Character traits.

Here are the types of people that fit into Taiwan and the types that don't. To fit into Taiwan, you have to share these traits with them:

- You are narrow minded, small minded, and petty, albeit polite.
- You are very closed and repressed, hence you don't mind if others are too, or if your culture is.
- You are superficial, shallow, simple and hollow on the inside, underneath your polite exterior.
- You are unnaturally polite and politically correct. You place politeness above honesty, even if that means lying. In your book, bullshit is ok as long as it's polite.
- You are fake and indirect. Not too honest or straightforward. Not authentic or genuine.
- You are very reserved and non-expressive. You carry a stoic face and do not like to express your emotions or feelings.
- You act very serious, stern and prim and proper. You are never playful or carefree. Your laughter, if any, is very restrained.
- Your only major interests in life are FOOD and FINANCE/MAKING MONEY, just like a typical Taiwanese is. You aren't interested in much else and definitely not in any abstract topics.
- You are never content enough to relax, have peace, be happy and enjoy life to the fullest. You always feel like you need to earn more and more money without end. It's never enough.
- You conform and follow whatever society says, and you believe everything the media tells you. Though you don't talk to strangers, still you think like the crowd.
- You are a closed person and don't talk to strangers unless it's for business. You don't like meeting new people and find it awkward and uncomfortable. You only like people from familiar circles at school and work. You dislike novelty, and always stick to familiarity.
- You care a lot about what everyone thinks and your whole identity and self-worth are dependent on it. You are hung up on "saving face".
- You are weak and live in fear. You shy away from any confrontation, even if you are in the right. You are scared to death of conflict and fighting and always imagine the worst consequences. You yield to your enemies rather than stand up to them.
- You are very petty, judgmental and dislike others easily. If someone is different from you, you dislike them and shut them out of your social circle politely by simply ceasing all contact with them. You have no curiosity about new ideas or people different from you, and you aren't interested in learning anything from them. You are shallow, even if you don't know it.
- If you are a girl, you are not only hollow, superficial and small minded, but you are petty and hateful as well. You dislike others who are different than you and you cut them off. Often, you cut off people for no reason, simply because you are bored and have no social skills or interests. You are essentially soulless and a total dud in personality, though you act very polite in public. Since you are not a person of substance, you do not seek people with any substance either.
- Originality and uniqueness turns you off and intimidates you and makes you feel uncomfortable, because you are a soulless drone and cannot stand to see someone who is too genuine or free and makes you see how inauthentic you are.
- You are two faced in that you can show someone a friendly polite face, yet in the back if your mind, hate their guts and want nothing to do with them.
- You find essays like this one to be very offensive because in your world, opinions must always be politically correct. So authentic essays like this to you is like sunlight is to vampires, making you cringe in fear at the light. Moreover, too much authenticity acts like mirror to reveal your artificiality to yourself, which you prefer not to face, so you despise it instead.

Now I don't know about you, but I share NONE of the traits above, thus I am a 100 percent MISFIT in Taiwan, understandably. But if you do share these traits, you will like Taiwan and feel more positive about it and praise it more. You will fit in and get along better with Taiwanese, even if you don't have any deep bond or connection with them (since you don't need one anyway, as hollow/superficial types aren't seeking deep connection with others). On the other hand, you will feel very alienated, weird and out of place in Taiwan if you have these following traits:

- You are a deep thinker with a rich soul and intellect. You are an intellectual or freethinker type. Or a freespirit type.
- You are too open minded and broad minded.
- Your personality is very genuine and down-to-earth. You are real and no-nonsense and you hate fakeness and BS.
- You are very honest, straightforward and blunt. You place truth and honesty over politeness, and you hate bullshit.
- You are a truth seeker or philosopher and don't like being restrained by political correctness.
- You are unique and a freethinker who thinks for yourself. You like to explore new ideas and discuss them.
- You have a wide variety of interests, both practical and abstract. You are curious about many things and seek to constantly learn and grow in knowledge and understanding.
- You are playful, carefree and relaxed, a freespirit type.
- You are motivated by imagination, creativity and originality.
- You are open and relaxed with strangers. You love to meet new interesting people of substance.
- You don't care about what others think as long as you are true to yourself and your principles and maintain your integrity.
- You are very brave, strong and courageous. You will stand up for what you believe in, even against the majority or a person of authority. You are willing to fight for what's right. Your admire brave heroes such as those in fairy tales and epic films. You identify with resilient fighters who never give up, such as Rocky Balboa.
- You do not find essays like this offensive, because they are truthful and honest, which are pluses in your book. You do not demand that all opinions be politically correct. You embrace the truth, and do not fear it.

For sure, Taiwan is like America in that it is NO PLACE for a person who is a deep thinker with an authentic personality and rich soul. No way jose. It is a very superficial culture, just like America. Truth and honesty have no value in Taiwan, only politeness and positivity do, same as in America. Soulful types and freethinker types will definitely feel like a fish out of water in Taiwan, and very disconnected and alienated as well. They won't vibe with the people or environment of Taiwan, especially down south outside of Taipei where people are even more small minded and disconnected. At least in Taipei, the Taiwanese are more educated and cosmopolitan, thus they can interact with anyone politely and superficially, albeit not deeply.

However, even if you meet people or make "new friends" in Taiwan through your work or school or by going to parties and get togethers, still they are very superficial and more often than not, the people you meet are just nice to you for one day and then they forget you afterward. Taiwanese, like Americans, are very superficial. They have no depth at all in their mind or soul. Therefore, at best you may make some casual friends and acquaintances in Taiwan with some effort, but usually they are very superficial and drift apart from you or forget you very easily.

The "friendships" or acquaintances you make in Taiwan tend not be long lasting or fulfilling. And unfortunately, this is especially the case with good looking girls there. So if you are a male that likes girls, Taiwan will especially be super frustrating and lonely for you, as the girls are all look and no touch. It's like being in a candy store and not being allowed to taste anything. But even if you are lucky enough to find girls who like you, at best the relationship will just be physical, without any real connection or bond or chemistry/synergy.

If you have a rich soul, then you will know that two people with rich souls and deep minds, when they first meet they will have an instant familiarity, like they've known each other for years, even though they've never met. Those of us with rich souls have experienced that. But that's the kind of connection you CAN'T get in Taiwan, because two hollow superficial people who meet for the first time are not going to feel that way. And neither will a deep person feel any connection to a superficial person when they first meet. Thus you will not get the deep healthy connection you need in Taiwan. This is the truth that no one dares to speak except me, because it's not a politically correct thing to say and plus, you are not supposed to be deep either, as society conditions people to be superficial so they will focus on consumerism and money, rather than developing a rich soul.

Moreover, if you are very down to earth and genuine, as well as open and relaxed, your communication style will be different from Taiwanese, especially the young adult crowd. They are very closed, fake and indirect. They aren't as open and relaxed as you are. In their small minded mentality, they believe that one should only socialize with people from their social circles at school and work. They are not open enough to go out and make new friends or talk to strangers, that's outside their habits and comfort zone. That's how it is in America too.

What all this means is that a deep person with a rich soul and intellect, and a genuine personality as well, is NOT going to feel a true sense of FREEDOM in Taiwan. This is because such a person cannot be himself and cannot connect with others. You see, authentic freedom means that you can BE YOURSELF and CONNECT with others. If you can't do that, then you are not free. Thus to people like us, Taiwan is NOT a free country.

The US media totally ignores this though, instead it defines freedom only in terms of whether a country holds elections and has a democratic political process. Thus it defines Taiwan as a "free country". But I disagree. There are far more important issues related to one's freedom than the freedom to vote, such as the ones I describe in the previous paragraph. The freedom to be oneself and the freedom to connect with others, are far more important, and are the true barometer of freedom.

Humans are social animals. We are wired to connect with others and need others. Studies show that social connection leads to better health and happiness, as well as longer lifespans, while lack of it can lead to poor health and shorter lifespans. So this issue is very important as well as a basic human need, yet it is poor and greatly lacking in both Taiwan and America.

Section III. Negative similarities that Taiwan and America share

Unfortunately, both Taiwan and America share the following negative similarities, which you will notice if you observe carefully and have good insight.

1. They are superficial and shallow cultures with fake people. Therefore, those who are deep thinkers with rich souls and authentic personalities will feel alienated and out of place. People in both countries are petty and small minded too. They know very little about the rest of the world and they live in a bubble.

2. There is no value on truth or honesty in either countries. Taiwan values politeness over all else. And America values positivity above all else. America is one giant positivity cult. It's ok to lie in America as long as you are positive. And it's ok to lie in Taiwan as long as you do it politely. Even Alexander Hamilton, one of the founding fathers of America and founder of the Federalist party, wrote in his diaries that he felt alienated in America because he was a man of honesty and honesty was not valued or appreciated in America.

3. People in both countries are workaholics and prudes with no ability to truly enjoy life or have fun. At least compared to those in Latin America, Italy, Spain, Greece, Russia, Philippines, Mexico, etc. Even when Taiwanese and Americans try to have fun, such as on vacation, it's very weak and restrained. They are simply too uptight and obsessed with rules to truly let loose, get wild or truly live it up. Neither America or Taiwan has the truly fun freespirited vibe that Europe does. America likes to show people having fun on TV, but that's a fiction and not how average Americans are at all.

4. Without a pre-existing social clique, you are screwed. People form social circles from their school or work. They don't socialize outside that. A stranger is a stranger. They only talk to strangers for business related purposes. You can't just come in as a new person and make friends easily, or go out and meet people like you can in most countries (like they show on TV). Young women in such cliquish countries are not open with meeting new people. You can't just "go out" and get dates like they show on TV. But you can in more socially open and inclusive countries though, such as Russia, Europe, Latin America, China, Philippines, etc. There, you don't need a pre-existing social clique. You can walk in as a newcomer and meet people and make friends easily and naturally. It's a very refreshing difference that you have to experience if you have't yet.

5. People don't like those who are different and shut them out socially. They are petty and judgmental. They dislike those that are different and feel uncomfortable around them. They lack curiosity about others. They don't try to learn from those that are different. In contrast, in many other countries like Russia, China, Latin America, Philippines, etc. people have curiosity. They try to learn from othres that are different than them or well traveled. So they have more of a positive attitude toward differences, rather than a negative one like the mainstream in the US and Taiwan do.

6. The media is overly negative and keeps people living in fear and paranoia in both countries. It's no wonder why Taiwanese and Americans are so paranoid unnecessarily and beyond reason, whereas people in most foreign countries are not, including countries with higher crime rates such as Russia or Mexico. How ironic. In contrast, the media in Europe, Australia and Latin America, I'm told, is far more balanced or positive. They do not ram negative stories down your throat to keep you living in fear. They have a balance of positive and negative stories, or they cover more positive news.

7. People in both countries are small minded and lack curiosity about the outside world beyond their country. They dislike those that are different and shun them. Differences repel people in the US and Taiwanese matrix. But in most other countries that are more open and fun, people are curious about those who are different and will try to learn from them. They view differences as a positive thing, not a negative one like in Taiwan and the US.

8. People are two faces in both countries. They will show you a friendly polite face in front of you, but behind your back they will gossip and hate you and wish they had nothing to do with you. Thus they put up fake masks as part of their personality, which makes them inauthentic and untrustworthy.

Advice: Avoid Taiwan, lest it give you a bad impression of Asia

So you see, Taiwan and America are very alike. Thus they are not a true case of East vs. West dichotomy, but in fact are very similar. Taiwan is too Westernized, not in terms of language, but in terms of its values, social disconnection, and the spoiled narcissism of its youth. To get a true far East experience, you need to go to China or India, which are places with real culture, authenticity and exotic elements. Even Japan has a great culture that is admirable, along with many accomplishments. Most Asian countries have interesting unique cultures. But not Taiwan or Singapore, which are cultureless, soulless and weak, with no accomplishments. Taiwan has invented nothing and has never one any battles against any other nations. So it's a very weak and insignificant culture that emphasizes fear and caution, not bravery or courage. And it's a very boring place as well, not even worth going to as a tourist in my opinion.

Therefore, I would advise one NOT visit Taiwan, lest one come away with a bad impression of Asia, if one has never been to Asia yet that is. You see, besides the boring bland culture, and the social isolation/alienation in Taiwan, when you arrive in Taiwan and see how closed and repressed people are, and how they seem devoid of any soul, emotion or laughter, you will get a creepy icky feeling from them. And if you've never been to other parts of Asia, you may assume that all Asians are like this, when they are not. No. Most of Asia is NOT like that fortunately. So if you're new to Asia, I'd avoid Taiwan. But if you're curious about it, I'd suggest visiting Taiwan after you've seen other parts of Asia first. Unless of course, you share many of those Taiwanese traits listed in Section II.

FAQ's - Debunking objections from critics

Objection #1. "Lots of people claim Taiwan and its people are very friendly and love it. So maybe the problem is you?"

Now if you think the problem must be me, think again. Here is why you are WRONG.

1) First, did you know that Taiwan has the lowest birthrate in Asia, and possibly the world? Look it up. The birthrate in Taiwan is 1.1, which is even lower than Japan, a country that faces possible extinction. Mainland China still has a normal birthrate, whereas Taiwan's is far below normal. What this definitely means is that there must be something ABNORMAL and OFF-BALANCE with Taiwan. You can't deny that and pretend that there's nothing is wrong with Taiwan, just to be polite.

2)Second, keep in mind that I do NOT feel socially disconnected or alienated in most other countries I've been to, it's mostly with Taiwan and USA that I do. So if the problem is me, why don't I have the same problems in most other countries, especially those that are more open, authentic and down to earth? So you see, it cuts both ways.

3) Third, many others, including friends, agree with me about Taiwan. My anti-Taiwan articles on my blog have received many comments in agreement, and I've posted many quotes from friends that corroborate my observations of Taiwan.

4) Fourth, Taiwanese people themselves do not deny being closed minded and not open with strangers. So if they admit that I'm right, how can I be wrong?

5) Fifth, go outside in Taiwan and you will notice that most foreigners only hang out with other foreigners, or sometimes with Westernized Asians/Taiwanese, but not with local mainstream Taiwanese. This goes to show that Taiwan is a very exclusive culture, not inclusive at all. Even Janet Hsieh, the Asian American celebrity star of "Fun Taiwan" TV series, only hangs out with foreigners and Westernized Asians, not with local mainstream people. I've seen her in person out in Taipei and noticed this, and noticed it on TV as well. Obviously it's because even she as a famous media celebrity does not connect with small minded mainstream Taiwanese, especially those south of Taipei.

6) Sixth, I've had lots of jobs i sales and marketing, and I've been to 14 countries, met lots of people and made lots of friends. So I definitely have good social skills and communication skills. I am very friendly and social too, and very articulate as well, as you can see in this essay. So how can the problem be me? I'm NOT the one who is antisocial and closed and refuses to talk to strangers. Taiwanese are. So how can I be to blame? Being social is a two week street you know. If I'm willing to be social to Taiwanese, but they aren't willing to reciprocate, then it's not my problem. Think about it. Be reasonable.

Another problem here is that people often confuse "politeness" with "friendliness". They aren't the same in my book. To me, "friendly" means being social and open to meeting new people and making new friends, and most importantly, being able to hang out with new friends to learn from them and bond with them. But in Taiwan, most of your "new friends" won't go out with you or invite you out with them, because you are a stranger and they are often too busy and refuse to make time for you. So what's the point of such a "friend" that refuses to see you in person? What a odd "friend", but then again Taiwan is an odd culture with odd people. Many attest to this in my blog comments.

Sure Taiwanese are super polite (but only in Taipei, not as much down south with the crude rural and small town folks), and Taiwan has very safe streets. But what use is that? How are "politeness" and "safety" supposed to fulfill my needs for friendship, social connection, love, romance, dating, sex, human companionship, etc? How can "politeness" and "safety" solve my loneliness and alienation problem in Taiwan? Tell me seriously. So you see, just because people are polite and helpful and help you with directions when you are lost, does NOT constitute "friendliness" and "sociability" in my book, if they aren't open to making new friends and going out with you or inviting you anywhere. Taiwan has a similar motto to Seattle, Washington, which is: "Have a nice day.... somewhere else."

Sure some people truly love Taiwan and feel more positively about it. They probably have many of the traits listed above in Section II of the type of people that fit in Taiwan best. But everyone is different. There is no one place where everyone fits in. I don't have those Taiwanese traits and neither do most of my friends. So I'm the least likely to fit into Taiwan. Taiwan does not provide for any of my social needs, romantic needs or sexual needs. It's an upside down weird bizarro world, like an antimatter universe. I see no way to connect with the people or culture at all. I'm not small minded, hollow, superficial, catty, gossipy or petty, like their women are, so how can I connect with them? It's literally impossible. No chemistry or synergy is possible with those types.

Objection #2: "Why should Taiwanese people want to make friends with total strangers or invite you anywhere? They don't need you, so why should they waste their time?"

So that's an excuse to be antisocial? You obviously have not seen the real world outside Taiwan and the USA. In most other countries - European countries, Russia, China, most of Asia, Latin America, etc. - people are very cool and open with talking to strangers and making new friends. I know because I've met thousands of people in my travels and you can see mountains of proof of this in my photos and videos at HappierAbroad.com. So if most of the world is more socially open, down to earth, authentic and friendly, then why is Taiwan different? Why isn't Taiwan like most other countries? Why is it so closed and repressed and cliquish? How come in other countries you can easily go out and meet new people?

Also even in America's past, such as the 1960's and 1970's, it was much easier to go out and meet new people and find new girls to date, according those who grew up back then. So if modern times have made rich nations more and more antisocial, then it's an ABNORMAL deviation from the past. Why do you think it's normal? If I am outgoing, social, friendly and decent, I should be able to make new friends easily. That's the way it SHOULD be. I should not be shut out and alienated for no reason. That's not good. Are you saying that if I didn't grow up in Taiwan and have no social circles from school there, then I deserve to have no social life there? That sucks. That means without a pre-existing social clique, I'm basically screwed? Loneliness is never a problem in the Philippines or Russia or Latin America or Mexico or Cuba for example, because they value social relationships there, whereas Taiwan and America only value consumerism and materialism. So why is it a problem in Taiwan?

Objection #3: "Well aren't young people everywhere shallow and superficial? Not just in Taiwan?"

NO. You need to get out more and see the real world outside of Taiwan and America, both of which SUCK big time for social connection and dating. I've been to 14 countries and I can tell you that in Russia and Europe, young people are far more down-to-earth, broad minded, open and have richer souls and intellects compared to those in Taiwan or America. There's no comparison. Young women there can hold intelligent conversations and talk about deep things. I've experienced it first hand in abundance. Also, the girls and young women I met in China, Philippines and SE Asia are far more down to earth and genuine than in Taiwan or America, even if they aren't as intellectual or soulful as in Europe or Russia. So no, people are not the same everywhere. Only people who don't travel much think that.

Objection #4: "Aren't freethinkers misfits everywhere they go, since they refuse to conform to society?"

Yes and no. Sure a freethinker does not try to conform to society so he or she will not totally fit in anywhere in the sense that he or she will not try to copy others and become the same as everyone else. However, that doesn't mean that a freethinker will not feel MORE at home in some countries than others. Generally a freethinker will feel more at home in authentic genuine countries where people are more real and down to earth and genuine. This is because a freethinker hates fakeness, artificiality and BS.

You see, a phony person who BSes is usually trying to fit in and be something they are not, because they care a lot about what others think. In contrast, a freethinker is not trying to fit in, and also does not care what others think, so he or she has no need to be fake, phony or BS. You see, in a fake culture one must be fake to fit in, otherwise one will be alienated and out of place. Simple logic. But in a more authentic culture, one does not have to be fake, hence one feels more free and has more synergy and chemistry with the people there. Make sense? Therefore, in a fake culture like Taiwan or America, a freethinker will be least at home. But in Russia, China, Europe, Latin America and SE Asia - where people are more real, down to earth and genuine - a freethinker will feel more at home because his or her personality fits the culture. It's all relative.

In fact, some of America's founding fathers were happier in Europe than in America. Benjamin Franklin spent most of his adult life in Europe, first in England, then in France. And Thomas Jefferson spent his retirement years in France and said those years were the happiest and richest time of his life. John Adams also spent a lot of time in France too, as a diplomat. These men were leading intellectuals and deep thinkers of their era, and such types connect better with Europe, because European culture is richer culturally speaking, and thus more conducive to those with rich souls and intellects. That's why the majority of intellectuals and philosophers and deep thinkers come from European cultures.

So it's no wonder the top intellectuals and thinkers in America felt happier in Europe and more alive, because you see, Europe admires and connects better with such types, whereas America is more for simple materialistic types who only want to make money. So even in the late 18th century, America was not for intellectuals with deep souls and minds. Some things never change. No one comes to America to find social connection or seek soulful people with rich intellects. That's not what America is for.

Objection #5: "Why do you sound so negative? No wonder you can't make friends or get dates in Taiwan. People don't like to be around negative people."

Don't get me wrong. While it may be true that I complain a lot, I'm not a negative person in general. And I am NOT projecting my own negativity out onto Taiwan. I'm merely describing what it is. It's just that if I experience something negative, then I will call it that and conversely, if I experience something positive, I will call it that too. If you read my articles and reports, you will see that I have said positive things about countries I have good experiences in. For example, I've raved about the social connection in Russia and the rich souls there that make me feel connected. I've elaborated on how down to earth the girls are in Russia and how easy it is to talk to them. And in Lithuania, I've praised how sweet, friendly and approachable the girls are to me, and how truly feminine they are. And very often, I've gleefully exclaimed about how sweet and warm and easygoing the girls in the Philippines are, and how I've had so many romantic dating experiences there and a great sex life. These are all POSITIVE statements and observations.

So you see, me saying negative things about the negative qualities in Taiwan, doesn't make me negative any more than me saying that the grass is green makes me a green colored person. If I ate a chocolate bar and said it was very sweet, does that make me sweet as well? So you see, me describing something negative as negative, doesn't make me negative too. Likewise, if I made positive comments about something that is positive, it doesn't necessarily make me a positive person either. You gotta look at the big picture, not just jump to conclusions.

Let me ask you this: Why should I LIE? If I sense a negative vibe in Taiwan and find it near impossible to connect with people there, especially the women, why should I LIE and claim with a fake face that "Taiwanese are so friendly and so wonderful!" just to appease you and not incur your condemnation? I tell it like it is. A spade is a spade, and so is a heart a heart, and a diamond a diamond, and so forth. Why do you want me to LIE just to be polite? Why should I sacrifice my integrity just to avoid offending you and keep in line with political correctness? I'm not a liar or BSer. I'm not fake either. Why should I start now?

Haven't you heard of the parable "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"? It teaches that if you lie, you will lose credibility. Well guess what? I am considered one of the most credible people on the internet and by those who know me. The reason for my credibility is that I'm brutally honest and tell it like it is. I don't BS or beat around the bush. I'm REAL. And besides, even if I started lying and saying positive things about Taiwan, how will that help me? I still will be unhappy, alienated and socially isolated in Taiwan. The girls I meet and "make friends" with will still be too busy to date me or see me, and will have nothing but excuses. Pretending to like Taiwan and saying positive things about it won't change that and won't solve these problems. Plus if something sucks the it deserves to be criticized, not praised.

Objection #6: "Taiwan has a different culture. Why are you bashing it instead of trying to understand it? Maybe if you put effort into understanding Taiwanese culture you could connect with them better?"

Um excuse me, but I AM Taiwanese American remember? I grew up in a Taiwanese family and during my childhood and teenage years, I went to Taiwan many times. So I KNOW Taiwanese culture very well. But that doesn't mean I connect with it. I don't share the traits of Taiwanese people, which I listed above in Section II. I'm NOT closed and repressed. And as I explained, I'm an intellectual and freethinker with a rich soul and inner life. I'm also a romantic freespirit type, like an Italian or Spaniard man, that's why I've always said that my soul is more European than Asian. And my close friends will confirm that too.

So how am I supposed to connect or vibe with Taiwanese when their traits and personalities are the exact OPPOSITE of mine? I mean, yeah sometimes opposites can attract, but not in most cases. In order for opposites to attract, the traits of both sides must COMPLEMENT each other. But in my case, my traits and Taiwanese traits do not complement each other, they create a big barrier and rift.

After all, how can a soulful person connect with a soulless person devoid of real emotion, and who acts like a zombie is so serious that they can't even even laugh freely? There is no way to form any synergy or chemistry. It's theoretically impossible. Especially when it comes to romance, love and dating. How can I have romantic chemistry with women who lack any soul or passion or emotion, and who are fake, NOT down to earth, small minded, petty, superficial and totally CLOSED off with no social skills? Taiwanese women, despite their good looks, are a TOTAL DUD when it comes to personality and soul.

Furthermore, how can I have any romance with girls who aren't even interested in me and won't even make time for a date? What a waste of time and life! That's why in my view, spending time in Taiwan is a waste of time and life. I don't even recommend Taiwan for tourism. It's simply a boring country with no culture and weird people that can't connect with the outside world. Taiwan has nothing to offer. I've been to many countries and have seen far better.

Now I've gone out with some Taiwanese girls in the past after "making friends" with them. But the problem is, it NEVER goes anywhere. NOTHING comes out of it. They give me NOTHING to work with. You can't charm them; you can't build kino with them; you can't get closer to them; you can't have fun with them; you can't bond with them; you can't generate chemistry with them; you can't have a great time with them; you can't laugh or joke with them; you can't speak freely with them; you can't flirt with them; you can't even stay out late with them. They are so prudish and square that they always wanna go home early. They are total DUDS! They can never be wild and fun like girls in Europe or Latin America or Philippines.

In my experience, Taiwanese girls are the most CLOSED in the world. You can't get any more closed than they are. If anyone knows any girls that are more closed, I challenge them to show me. Now, I've heard that Japanese girls are also very closed as well. However, at least Japan is a vibrant culture and does not have the negative self-loathing vibe that Taiwan does. Bottom line is that Taiwan is TERRIBLE for dating. Almost as bad as America. No question about it. It's no wonder the birthrate in Taiwan is perhaps the lowest in the world.

So get real man. I'm not stupid. I can't be something I'm not. I can't suddenly adopt those Taiwanese traits listed in Section II. It would be a downgrade of who I am to even try, as well as a regression of my spiritual evolution. A step in the wrong direction in other words. Once you become broad minded, you can't become narrow minded or small minded again. Once you've seen the light, you cannot unsee the light.

So you see, there's no way I can fit into a culture that is super closed and repressed, with small minded people, like Taiwan. I'm the exact opposite of that. But that doesn't mean that there's something wrong with me. Matter cannot fit into an antimatter universe. There is no one place where everyone fits in. You need to understand that so you can see reality more clearly, rather than be instinctively victim-blaming as part of your groupthink. If you don't believe me, come to Taiwan and you will see all that I say, assuming you have good observational abilities and insight of course.

You see, I thrive on social connection. So why would I be happy in a place that offers me no social connection or dating life or genuine friends? Why should I think positively about a place where I don't feel accepted or validated, where I feel like I am not even allowed to express emotions and feelings? Why should I say good things about a place that's so alienating, lonely and isolating? Why should I say "Taiwan is so wonderful and friendly!" when it's anything but, just to sound "cool"? You're not making sense!

Let me ask you this: Why should I pretend to be happy in Taiwan, when in reality: I have no dating or social life there. No fun. No good times. No social connection. No special memories or meaningful experiences. Nothing. That is, nothing but repressed, closed, small minded people that are impossible to connect with, and cold apathetic women who treat me like I don't exist. Yuck. Why would I be happy with that? Are you crazy? Especially since I'm used to having so much better in other countries.

You see, once you're used to having a great dating and social life, and a great vibe and meaningful experiences, as well as fun times and special memories that make you feel alive, how can you get used to Taiwan where you have nothing and can't get anything? In Taiwan, everything is wrong. The people have the WORST combination of traits: Super repressed, super closed, and super small minded. Yuck. Terrible beyond belief! Not my fault though. I didn't ask Taiwan to be like this. I just tell like it is with pure honesty.

Next section: Quotes from those who corroborate my observations about Taiwan

El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

Winston you are a good persuasive writer, but you are wasting your talents here. You've written this all before, we know you think Taiwan is a negative vortex. I agree that if a free thinking guy from the West wants to improve his social life, Taiwan is not the place. However, it's hardly Iraq or Afghanistan.

I'd much rather you wrote an essay about Shenzhen and how things went for you there. You're thoughts about Taiwan have been carved in stone, but we want to know more about what you thought of the mainland.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Objection #7: Why are you still in Taiwan when one of your favorite countries is just a couple hours away? Why don't you get on a plane and visit those several attractive girls who may get snapped up by someone else if you don't get off your butt and go bond w them pronto? Why do you, as a mature man, need to spend months and months visiting your parents instead of exploring other countries which you actually like? Why do you claim to be overly busy to point of being months and years behind your agendas yet have plenty of time to write countless negative essays about a place you so despise? Why do you enable the self full-filling prophecy you call Murphy's Law to bind you to Taiwan instead of just shutting off your computer, standing up, packing your bags, walking out the door, and heading to countries you love. As figurehead of HA, shouldn't you taking tangible actions to actually be "happier abroad? Why are you obsessed with Taiwan and all the negative aspects about it which you hate to the point that you must write an ongoing multi-year, going on multi-decade rant in installments with huge amounts of repetition? Is that not a case of you being "miserable abroad?" Why do you act this way? Why not just let go of Taiwan?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

F**ck Taiwan ...Philippines is the bomb...F***k Jewmerica, jewnited kingdom, jewrope.... :lol:

I could understand Winston's problems....Its because of AI...It usually attacks Conspiracy Theorist, Deep thinkers because our movement does effect its function. Since, Winston is a higher soul, this AI needs to put Winston in bad situation to suck his Soul Energy, before releasing him to Philippines where he could charge himself up to be used again...yes...like a battery as shown in Matrix.

I really really wanted to go to Philippines but ended up in Thailand because of my work in US and time difference between Ph and US....but I wanted to get out of India somehow...best choice was Thailand...It sucked, but I'm happy compared to India in Thailand. Now I have to go back to India and apply for Visa to Philippines now that the work pressure has eased.

My point is, it does not matter if you love, like Philippines...There are far greater forces at play on earth.

I would not be writing this, if I got married to 7 Filipinas I was seriously considering marriage on each trip :mrgreen: but it all happened when I was about to leave India or situation was created to force me out of Philippines.

Money, Visa, small distance does not guarantee that you will end up in Philippines, this is the most bitter experience I have learned. Even LOVE does not mean anything. this AI does not care AT ALL if you love someone or not. It just F**cks your life the best way possible to release negative energy.

If the world was so simple like if you have money, US green card, visa free access then why don't you have a gf or be in Philippines...We would not even be on Earth. There are lots of dark energy on earth which does not give us what we really want.

In my assessment, you only get 30% out of your dreams. Its that bad. If you plan 100 things for next year only 30 would come true. Try it.

I also write negative things about India even though I don't want to be there...Its just the way it is..it sucks...Now, that I look back, I really should not have come to Thailand, Philippines would have done the job as the people in work were cool...enough to understand my situation but since, I'm in Thailand, this thought came when it does not mean anything.

-------------------------

I'm suggesting everyone to pack there bags and move to Philippines. When the mainstream society, the millennials, my family, friends, larger society get hold of this news, they would be in Philippines in a jiffy like how Rock says while we who found out Philippines future would struggle to come...Its how this AI plays.

I think by mid next year most of Middle east and Filipino Americans would be going back to Philippines....I really want to go there, get the condo, invest etc before the MAD RUSH begins. :roll: :roll:
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yeah starchild, rock and el caudillo are strict materialists and never seriously take metaphysical forces into account. They only see practical factors.

Btw all, isnt my long anti-taiwan essay above a masterpiece? Isnt it the most truthful essay about taiwan im the universe? Lol. Who has the guts and insight to write something like that? So negative and deep, yet true and accurate too. Amazing isnt it? Lol. Not to brag of course.

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Winston,

How are Dianne and Angelo doing now?
How are your Chinese ladies doing now?

There's plenty of stuff for you to take care of in China and the Philippines.

And even if you're seriously going to have to be stuck in Taiwan, you can try socializing with SE Asian and mainland Chinese ladies. There are nearly a million of them living in Taiwan now. My days in Taiwan were some of the best in my life, since I got to know a wonderful Indonesian lady there.

And here's the perfect remedy if you're totally sick and tired of robotic, sterile, developed societies: Go to India. I went there this summer and had such an unforgettable experience.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

Yeah starchild, rock and el caudillo are strict materialists and never seriously take metaphysical forces into account. They only see practical factors.
I see myself more as a natural Ascetic than a materialist Winston. I'm big on metaphysics, but not so into the supernatural. Further to Falcon's suggestions I would say that you could get the train round to Taidong and then investigate the East Coast of Taiwan where there is even a bohemian surf town, called Dulan, and a lot of aboriginal villages. It's a different scene to the urban, industrial West coast. Or you could just get the 1.5 hour flight to HK and then cross over into that wonderful modern metropolis of Shenzhen.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, alienating, lon

Post by Winston »

Update:

We are back from Taiwan now. My son and Dianne enjoyed the beauty, fresh air, polite people, infrastructure, clean safe streets, and good quality delicious food in Taiwan. However, they didn't like that people looked very uptight and overly serious and stern there. So I'm not the only one. Even my son, with his very limited experience in life, could see the obvious. His first question in Taiwan was, "Why did that girl at the customs line look so emotionless like she wasn't even alive?" lol.

What's more, some Taiwanese were rude and yelled at us for on reason. One lady in the park at a videoke center outdoors yelled at me just because I asked her which animal snatching arcade machines were on and which were off, because I didn't want to put coins in those that were off. She rudely told me that I should be able to tell and not put any coins in any machines that are off. It was no cause for her to get rude, but that's just part of her personality I guess. Some Taiwanese talk like that. But no one in the Philippines would yell over something like that. Another time, when we were on the way to the airport, the shuttle bus driver yelled at us for no reason. I stashed our luggage in the center and waited for Dianne and Angelo to do the same, as I was supposed to. But somehow the driver felt the need to be rude and say "hurry up and sit down" for no reason. There was no rush and I wasn't moving slowly. Very weird. I told him off and said "You give Taiwan a bad name you know that!" Then an English speaking Taiwanese girl on the bus apologized on his behalf and told me that that's just the normal way he talks so it's nothing personal. I told her I'm sick of all the friggin travel websites and blogs saying how everyone in Taiwan is "oh so wonderful and oh so friendly!" (sarcastic fake tone of my voice) and how I wish travel sites would be more HONEST like me. I"m sick of all the lies online.

I told my parents about this, and my mom rationalized it away and said "Well if the lady yelled at you, then you probably asked a stupid question." My mom is narrow too and refuses to admit that Taiwanese are rude. Sheesh. Even my parents are not honest truth seekers who are willing to tell it like it is. My older cousins like Alice Lai also refuse to admit that Taiwanese are rude. They feel the need to believe that ALL Taiwanese are "oh so friendly and oh so wonderful!" because it's a cult religion for Taiwanese believe that. lol. Very friggin weird.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, alienating, lon

Post by Winston »

From ethan_sg:

"It's been about 10 years since I last visited Taiwan and it was only for a few days but it didn't strike me as being particularly friendly. In fact the vibe was colder and strange. Felt more like Japan. Not warm and down to earth like China. That was quite a while back though so I only have very vague memories of it."