Theory of Gaia

Discuss nature, animals, wildlife and ecological issues. Share your nature photography and videos. Talk about hiking, camping and exploring national parks.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Theory of Gaia

Post by Pixel--Dude »

This thread might possibly have been better in the philosophy section, but for now I'm going to post it here in the Nature section, since this topic is extremely relevant to nature and the planet.

Gaia in Greek mythology is the personification of Earth and one of the primordial deities. Like the Life or the All is consciousness, and humans have their own consciousness or souls and animals have their own souls, Gaia is the soul or consciousness of the planet and the Earth is her physical body. Mother Earth.

Gaia was also known and revered among other ancient cultures. For example Terra Mater (Mother Earth) by the Romans, Sophia by Gnostics, Andean Pachamama, the Hindu, Prithvi, “the Vast One,” etc. Gaia has been revered and respected by many ancient cultures from around the world.

Interestingly, @Lucas88 has a friend who told him that Gaia called upon him to try Ayahuasca during a ceremony. After Lucas tried Ayahuasca he had many esoteric secrets revealed to him in a psychedelic experience. I'm not sure if he has talked about this before.

The Earth around us grows and trees and plants breathe. They are alive and all connected. So perhaps the planet itself is alive and has a soul rather than being a soulless and lifeless rock drifting through space as mainstream scientists assert.

Why has humanity separated itself from nature so much? Why do we replace plants and gardens and flowers with plastic replicas just because we've becime so lazy that the maintenance of plants and flowers has become so much of a burden we would rather be surrounded by something artificial instead. I think plastic plants and flowers are ugly and don't give the same good feelings that real plants do, nor the nice aromas that flowers give off. Yet notice that around us more and more nature is replaced with the artificial.

Mother nature provides us with everything we need, yet we continue to pretend we are separate from nature and we delude ourselves that we can overcome nature when it's clear that we can't.

As a living thing, the planet could well regulate its own temperatures or go through natural cycles which we erroneously and arrogantly assume is caused by humanity but in actual fact it could be part of the planets natural cycles...

So what do you guys think? Could the planet be a living thing?
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Theory of Gaia

Post by Lucas88 »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
July 29th, 2023, 3:33 pm
Interestingly, @Lucas88 has a friend who told him that Gaia called upon him to try Ayahuasca during a ceremony. After Lucas tried Ayahuasca he had many esoteric secrets revealed to him in a psychedelic experience. I'm not sure if he has talked about this before.
That friend was my wrestling instructor from Spain (I've spoken about him in some other threads about womanizing since my wrestling instructor is a major player 8) ). Actually, it was the Pachamama who told him to invite me to try Ayahuasca. One night I received a text message from him out of the blue explaining to me that he became acquainted with the Pachamama during an Ayahuasca trip and that she told him that she wanted me to take Ayahuasca in order to become acquainted with her too. I was amazed by such invitation transmitted to me through my wrestling instructor and attended an Ayahuasca ceremony with the same shaman shortly thereafter.

I did indeed have a really deep experience with visions which showed me insights into the nature of reality and all phenomena being manifestations of a single divine consciousness which underlies and sustains all life and is itself alive.

If I remember correctly, I might have shared some snippets of my Ayahuasca experience with @gsjackson in the thread on psychedelics. I've never shared my experience in any depth on this forum, although I do still have my whole diary entry for that day written just half an hour after coming out of the trance state saved somewhere on my hard drive.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
July 29th, 2023, 7:07 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:
July 29th, 2023, 3:33 pm
That friend was my wrestling instructor from Spain (I've spoken about him in some other threads about womanizing since my wrestling instructor is a major player 8) ). Actually, it was the Pachamama who told him to invite me to try Ayahuasca. One night I received a text message from him out of the blue explaining to me that he became acquainted with the Pachamama during an Ayahuasca trip and that she told him that she wanted me to take Ayahuasca in order to become acquainted with her too. I was amazed by such invitation transmitted to me through my wrestling instructor and attended an Ayahuasca ceremony with the same shaman shortly thereafter.

I did indeed have a really deep experience with visions which showed me insights into the nature of reality and all phenomena being manifestations of a single divine consciousness which underlies and sustains all life and is itself alive.

If I remember correctly, I might have shared some snippets of my Ayahuasca experience with @gsjackson in the thread on psychedelics. I've never shared my experience in any depth on this forum, although I do still have my whole diary entry for that day written just half an hour after coming out of the trance state saved somewhere on my hard drive.
Yes, I remember you saying. I think Pachamama and Gaia are the same being anyway. A goddess associated with nature who provides her children with a link to the spiritual with substances like Ayahuasca and psilocybin mushrooms. Pachamama is the earth goddess revered by the indigenous people of the Andes, in the same way Gaia is the same earth goddess revered by the people of Greece. I believe they are one and the same. Mother Nature.

Would you ever be willing to share some of your experience either here or in the psychedelic experiences thread? I'd like to read it again and I think it would be interesting to discuss. That's only if you want to, and you can always leave out parts of the experience that were personal to you.

@kangarunner, you seem interested in psychedelics and possibly spiritually inclined, what do you think to the theory of Gaia?

@Winston shared some interesting videos on this topic which I will share here. Forgive me but I can't be f***ed to embed them properly. I'll just share the links.

https://youtu.be/o20WrsvfXuU

https://youtu.be/uI4rTSiJgqI
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@Lucas88
@willymonfrete
@MrPeabody
@publicduende
@Winston
@kangarunner
@WilliamSmith

When it comes to the subject of Gaia/Pachamama/Sophia do you think she acts as a kind of hive mind for animal and insect consciousness? Or do you think these creatures have their own, lesser consciousness?

Gaia is known in indigenous cultures as a mother goddess, hardly surprising given that she provides everything on Earth with everything it needs to survive.

Do you think Gaia provides us with entheogenic plants so that we may view the nature of reality for ourselves and come to know god?

Why do you think that humans have tried to separate ourselves from nature when we are part of it?
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 2:22 pm
Why do you think that humans have tried to separate ourselves from nature when we are part of it?
Because, while nature does indeed provide us with everything we need to survive at the most basic and primitive level (e.g., hunter-gatherer societies), nature alone is full of brutality and doesn't make for a higher and more fulfilling existence with all of the benefits of technology, culture, intellect and the arts. In order to create such a higher and more fulfilling existence, we inevitably require human ingenuity and unnatural manipulation of our environment, not just nature.

Almost nothing that we call civilization and that has vastly improved our lives in comparison to the barbarism of precivilization can be considered strictly natural. Even the cereals that we cultivate and consume such as wheat and barley are the result of artificial selection by ancient farmers over the course of millennia during the agricultural revolution. Before then such things were hardly edible at all. Likewise, much of our livestock is the result of the selective breeding of domesticated animals. This selective breeding made them a lot more useful for our purposes.

Then there is civilization itself. Dwellings to protect us from the elements, complex social orders which allow concerted human effort on a large scale, writing and learning which allow for the development of the sciences and the arts - all of these things allow for a mode of life far superior to running around the forests in loincloths and hunting wild game.

Now more than ever unnatural things are making possible unprecedented advancements for humanity. AI is not only driving forward a revolution in robotics and automated systems that will make all of the tasks necessary for the maintenance of civilization much more efficient, but is also allowing us to analyze enormous quantities of data (previously unconceivable quantities) which will allow for major breakthroughs in all kinds of scientific fields. At the same time, genetic research will offer cures for a host of genetic diseases previously incurable. This state of unnature is obviously far better than living in mud huts, defecating in bushes and hunting mammoths with primitive spears.

Nature, while necessary and fundamental, is also cruel and unforgiving. Humans must use and indeed have used our innate ingenuity - our great Promethean gift - to transcend the limitations of nature and build upon it something much greater and more conducive to human flourishing.
Pixel--Dude wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 2:22 pm
Do you think Gaia provides us with entheogenic plants so that we may view the nature of reality for ourselves and come to know god?
I speculate that entheogenic plants such as Ayahuasca might form part of a more primitive Telluric spirituality given to tribal peoples but still useful to many modern people today - a Telluric spirituality which connects those who partake in it directly to Gaia or the Pachamama, the intelligent spirit and consciousness of the Earth.

This is in contrast to the more developed Celestial forms of spirituality such as Kundalini and inner alchemy which connect the adept to heaven (in the case of the Kundalini, a joining of the Telluric lifeforce energy with Sahasrara) and the higher realms of consciousness.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

When I was in the Amazon, the Shaman had us take a flower bath before taking Ayahuasca. The flower bath had various plants and herbs soaked in it. We poured it over our heads and had to let it dry naturally without using a towel. When I took the Ayahuasca in ceremony, the plant teachers appeared in my visions and they approached me. They said that they can’t normally approach humans because they smell bad (because of all the chemicals we westerners have in our bodies). That is the purpose of the flower bath. They gave me a tour of the jungle, and showed me how everything moves slowly and methodically, the insects, the plants, and the animals are all acting together as one being, and there is a natural flow without control or planning. When we humans enter the jungle, everyone in the jungle – the plants, the animals, the insects – know we are there and are watching us. They told me that they are disturbed by human civilization – they can hear it and to them it is alarming – like crazy, loud chaos with no connection and out of sync to the natural flow.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 5:16 pm
Because, while nature does indeed provide us with everything we need to survive at the most basic and primitive level (e.g., hunter-gatherer societies), nature alone is full of brutality and doesn't make for a higher and more fulfilling existence with all of the benefits of technology, culture, intellect and the arts. In order to create such a higher and more fulfilling existence, we inevitably require human ingenuity and unnatural manipulation of our environment, not just nature.
Nature is full of brutality, this us true! But the brutality of nature is what gives living things the drive to survive. Nature can be a harsh mother, but she's also very nurturing and provides us with everything we need to survive. Not only that, but she provides us with all the tools necessary for us to cultivate technology, culture and the arts.

Given our own nature, the nature of human beings, I would argue that our ingenuity is also part of the natural process of things. Our ability to adapt and to use nature to build a lifestyle more conducive to human flourishing is arguably something which nature intended, and not an example of humans transcending nature. Regardless of your view on this, we as humans are totally dependent on nature and nature is independent of us and would continue to exist if humanity were to totally disappear.
Almost nothing that we call civilization and that has vastly improved our lives in comparison to the barbarism of precivilization can be considered strictly natural. Even the cereals that we cultivate and consume such as wheat and barley are the result of artificial selection by ancient farmers over the course of millennia during the agricultural revolution. Before then such things were hardly edible at all. Likewise, much of our livestock is the result of the selective breeding of domesticated animals. This selective breeding made them a lot more useful for our purposes.

Then there is civilization itself. Dwellings to protect us from the elements, complex social orders which allow concerted human effort on a large scale, writing and learning which allow for the development of the sciences and the arts - all of these things allow for a mode of life far superior to running around the forests in loincloths and hunting wild game.
I would contest that the so-called barbarism of precivilization is also something which is more in alignment with nature than our current system in a world of technological advancement. I'm sure @MrPeabody knows a fair bit about indigenous people and how they work together and look out for each other. It was either him or @publicduende who talked about Celtic tribes in this context. Point being that where we may look upon them as barbaric or uncivilised because of their lack of technology, in my opinion such tribes that live more closely in alignment with nature are socially more advanced than modern society.

In modern society there is a complete degeneration in social connection, which is a massive problem as humans are social creatures by their very nature. Yet if we look around the social disconnect in modern society is blatantly apparent. Not only that, but modern society seeks only to separate itself from nature, which is a complete folly.

I understand that modern technologies and such provide us with comforts and protection from the elements which indigenous cultures don't have the luxury of, but is it really worth it in light of the complete disconnect from not only mother nature, but each other as well?
Now more than ever unnatural things are making possible unprecedented advancements for humanity. AI is not only driving forward a revolution in robotics and automated systems that will make all of the tasks necessary for the maintenance of civilization much more efficient, but is also allowing us to analyze enormous quantities of data (previously unconceivable quantities) which will allow for major breakthroughs in all kinds of scientific fields. At the same time, genetic research will offer cures for a host of genetic diseases previously incurable. This state of unnature is obviously far better than living in mud huts, defecating in bushes and hunting mammoths with primitive spears.
Yes, you've provided some good examples of how modern civilisation can be conducive in ways to humanity. But this is a duality which is also having detrimental effects upon our species. Such effects cannot be ignored or denied. A forest dwelling tribe at least act socially, in alignment with our nature. Most of them also had (have) a strong connection with nature and Gaia. We have forgotten a lot about our true nature as humans in modern society. Most people don't care about each other or value one another like indigenous tribes would.

Let me give you an example. Social media is something invented to keep people connected. It's supposed to be something that makes human connectivity much easier and more convenient in the modern world. But look how shitty it us once you scratch below the surface of it. It's all superficial bullshit. I've been in a room full of people all ignoring each other in real life so that they can interact with other people artificially over the Internet through social media.

Another thing that pisses me off with social media is the fact that people live vicariously through their phones, taking countless pictures and videos of an experience, rather than living in the moment and authentically enjoying it. It's as though recording the experience is more important than actually experiencing it. How many times have you seen idiots posting pictures on social media of their holiday? Some beautiful scenic view which is blocked by someone's face as they take a selfie. Nobody cares about anything or anyone anymore. And modern technology, social media and society are all partly to blame.

This is just a small example of how detrimental technology has become to our species. However, I do agree that automation of labour is a must! Though in a capitalist world this is also a problem as it just means more people straving to death without any income. What do you guys think of this @WanderingProtagonist, @willymonfrete and @MrMan?
Nature, while necessary and fundamental, is also cruel and unforgiving. Humans must use and indeed have used our innate ingenuity - our great Promethean gift - to transcend the limitations of nature and build upon it something much greater and more conducive to human flourishing.
I think everything in nature is a duality and a rhythmic balance of good and bad. There is no other way for it to be so. Mother nature may be harsh and unforgiving. But she roots out the weak and those who aren't fit for survival die. This is harsh, but true. She is also a fantastic provider, giving us everything we need to survive and come this far. It can be argued that the reason she is so hard on us is to drive us and force us to become strong and also to cause us to find new ways to protect ourselves from the elements.

I think it was always our purpose as a species to advance technologically. It's what Gaia would want for her children. But we have gone about it all wrong. What we really need is some kind of synthesis of modern technology and automation and the close knit tribal community spirit which helps keep these indigenous peoples alive.
I speculate that entheogenic plants such as Ayahuasca might form part of a more primitive Telluric spirituality given to tribal peoples but still useful to many modern people today - a Telluric spirituality which connects those who partake in it directly to Gaia or the Pachamama, the intelligent spirit and consciousness of the Earth.

This is in contrast to the more developed Celestial forms of spirituality such as Kundalini and inner alchemy which connect the adept to heaven (in the case of the Kundalini, a joining of the Telluric lifeforce energy with Sahasrara) and the higher realms of consciousness.
I absolutely agree with you here. I think these entheogenic plants, which are erroneously labelled as drugs or accused of providing gateways to demons by hysterical Christians, are in fact wonderful gifts from nature. Or rather wonderful gifts from mother nature so that we may come to understand the nature of the world and universe we live in. Such experiences offered are more authentic than any holy book as they can be directly experienced.

I think this is why Pachamama called upon you through your wrestling instructor, the same way that I heard the call to experiment with these entheogenic plants to cure my depression or experience something transcendental. We were both in despair and felt like this life was just pointless and full of suffering. Entheogenic plants showed us both that there is still wonder and magic to behold in this world. Arguably these experiences changed our lives for the better.
willymonfrete
Junior Poster

Post by willymonfrete »

What are u gonna do?life sucks.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
October 27th, 2023, 8:15 pm
This is just a small example of how detrimental technology has become to our species. However, I do agree that automation of labour is a must! Though in a capitalist world this is also a problem as it just means more people straving to death without any income. What do you guys think of this @WanderingProtagonist, @willymonfrete and @MrMan?
I haven't kept up with the thread, and I don't hold to pagan ideas about mother earth. I recognize the earth is a creation and I believe that God has put the earth under man's authority to subdue it. But I also believe we are to be good stewards of what we have been entrusted.

In Revelation 11:18, the 24 elders call on God to, among other things, "shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth." The readers at that time would not have thought of non-biodegradable plastic filling land fills, but there might be some application there as well. The idea of defiling the land shows up in passages about sexual sins and human sacrifices that were done among the pagans and that Yahweh's people were not to emulate, women getting divorced, remarrying, going back to their first husband. Also innocent blood cried up from the ground.

But I think we should be good stewards when it comes to pollution. We've moved away from the idea of most people having plots of ground to farm. That was a model, at least for white people, that we had for a while in the US, where, among whites, a lot of people had their own farms. Because of the gains from specialization, probably, we have moved to having a very small percentage of Americans be farmers. And then we specialize in these little micro-niches or do unskilled or low-skilled labor jobs.

If some country or society wanted to go back to small organic farms, or individuals in a society wanted to get together and form communes, there may be some space for that with the demand for organic products and the fact that some agricultural products still come from intensive agriculture.

I could see robots could take over a lot of human work over time. If they get into farming, that could make what I described above a lot more competitive.

Combining robots with AI and you could have some very useful and powerful machines doing many different types of labor. I haven't seen a robot automaton taking orders at fast food restaurants, but they do have some kind of AI system on Checkers and Rally's drive-thru windows. When I went through, they had me by-pass the system and order at the window. But I suspect it will be more sophisticated.

I do think societies should respect property rights. So just taking wealth from one person to solve the problem of others being put out of business is a big ethical problem. We already have a large percentage taken out of our paychecks for taxes for social programs. But we are also seeing a smaller generation coming up in a lot of the developed economies, and a huge older class, so we may see a labor shortage in some of the big economies like the US, Japan, many of the European countries, Russia, and China. So there may be a lack of both consumers with money to spend and people to work in factories.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

MrMan wrote:
October 29th, 2023, 12:39 pm

I haven't kept up with the thread, and I don't hold to pagan ideas about mother earth. I recognize the earth is a creation and I believe that God has put the earth under man's authority to subdue it. But I also believe we are to be good stewards of what we have been entrusted.
You don't have to be Pagan to accept the idea that the planet itself has a soul the same as we human beings do. Aren't we humans also part of the creation? Yet we have souls. Do you believe animals have souls? Trees are living and breathing things, why wouldn't they be part of something larger? Like the planet itself being a living and breathing thing with a soul of its own.
But I think we should be good stewards when it comes to pollution.

I agree that we should be good stewards when it comes to pollution. I don't think I buy into all the climate bullshit being pushed today by shills like Greta Thunberg, but I think ocean dumping and being deliberately disrespectful to the environment should be avoided.

"Since 1988, just 100 companies have been responsible for 71% of global greenhouse gas emissions. In addition to this, only 25 corporations and state-owned organisations were found to be responsible for over 50% of the global industrial emissions during the same time period."

Most damage to the environment is caused by big corporations rather than individual consumers who are being blamed and punished for being motorists etc. I think the whole thing is a joke. Half of this industry isn't even needed. A lot of these corporations are producing shit nobody even needs!
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@Lucas88
@MrPeabody

When it comes to the idea of souls and the theory of Gaia where do you guys think the separation occurs between Gaia and living things? Do you think Gaia acts like a hive mind for rudimentary consciousness like insects or maybe even animals? Or do you think Gaia is only the soul of things that are part of nature like trees and plants etc?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
November 17th, 2023, 3:14 pm
"Since 1988, just 100 companies have been responsible for 71% of global greenhouse gas emissions. In addition to this, only 25 corporations and state-owned organisations were found to be responsible for over 50% of the global industrial emissions during the same time period."

Most damage to the environment is caused by big corporations rather than individual consumers who are being blamed and punished for being motorists etc. I think the whole thing is a joke. Half of this industry isn't even needed. A lot of these corporations are producing shit nobody even needs!
What kind of green house gases? A toxic gas, or carbon dioxide, which we also breathe out and which plants gobble up?

After typing that, I found this link:
https://peri.umass.edu/greenhouse-100-p ... ex-current

A lot of these are energy-producing companies. They produce gases while making electricity for the masses to use. We light and heat our homes, run our computers and entertainment devices, cook, wash our clothes, etc. with this electricity. It doesn't sound like some big crime against humanity. There are some heavy industries and mixed chemical type industries there, too. It looks like, at a glance, so many these companies provide valuable services that people like us benefit from.

A large power plant is a complicated thing to run. I suppose it is possible that one person (Mr. Burns) could own one. The way our society has evolved, large corporations typically own and run these types of businesses. It's not going to be a small mom and pop business. A lot of other large heavy industry relies on economies of scale to be economical, and requires elaborate coordination of a lot of people and equipment to work. Again, in our society, that lends itself toward a corporate structure. I suppose government could manage some of these types of industries, but that hasn't worked out as efficiently, historically as regulated corporations.

I am not joining this 'corporations are evil, and it is okay to steal from them' idea. I am glad to have electricity, paper, agricultural products, products made from steel, etc.