Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Quotes from immigrants and foreigners about America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Quotes from immigrants and foreigners about America

Postby Winston » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:49 am

Here is my grand collection of quotes and letters from foreigners and immigrants about America that I received. They are uncensored and truthful, which you will never see in the US media.

http://www.happierabroad.com/ebook/Page32.htm
Last edited by Winston on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Erasmus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Living in the US most of my life, I always found it odd how if you tried to make a conversation with people, they'd think you were weird.
Last edited by Erasmus on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erasmus
Freshman Poster

Postby jamesbond » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Tygro wrote:Living in the US most of my life, I always found it odd how people are always asking "Hi, how are you?" When in reality they couldnt care less how you are actually doing. I just found it to be such a fake "custom". If you tried to make a conversation with these same people, they'd think you were weird.

I agree. Most people in America who ask you how are you doing, don't really give a rat's ass how you are really doing.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby chismah » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 am

Actually everyone in this nation is being brainwashed and propagandized 24/7 in our society to not care for others.

It's called "moral breakdown" by design!!! :twisted:
chismah
Freshman Poster

Postby Erasmus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:59 pm

chismah wrote:Actually everyone in this nation is being brainwashed and propagandized 24/7 in our society to not care for others.

It's called "moral breakdown" by design!!! :twisted:
Tell us more about this design and who are the architects?
Erasmus
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:07 am

Check out this letter I received from a German immigrant who got annoyed while reading the quotes from foreigners and immigrants page I put up. What do you think? Is she trying to be politically correct? I don't get her point. She doesn't prove me wrong about anything.

Dear Winston,

My name is Laelia and I am a German who moved to the States a few years ago. I stumbled across your article "What immigrants and foreigners say about America that you never hear in the US media" which I found (for the lack of a better word) simply annoying.
I find that anyone who makes an over all perception of a people to be rather ignorant. There is so much more to a country than your first visit there and the differences in culture that you have observed. Disliking a certain custom or a certain town, even a certain person is absolutely not a reason to create an overall bias against a culture. I understand preferring, say, a European life style versus an American one, but that shouldn't cause you to be so outrageously vocal AGAINST a certain place. It's simply rude.
There is plenty in the states that leaves to be desired, but that is true everywhere one should travel. I don't understand how people can take one view of an entire country! It drives me up the wall. Yes, there are differences in culture. BUT the US does HAVE a culture, unlike what many of your articles suggest. I will be the first one to admit the states have problems; huge, annoying problems that need to be addressed, but no country is perfect.
The states is a new country, barely over 200 years old. It has developed from hundreds of others cultures to form its own. There is a strong sense of community (most places; it's a big country) and a strong sense of nationalism as well. Just because people are proud of their country (some even blind and stupidly following) doesn't make them all idiots. In Germany, people generally don't fly the flag or blatantly wear German symbols because we're taught that it is offensive to others. I guess it was because of our history that we are taught this why. But I find someone's love of their country quite beautiful and nostalgic like one's love for the house they grew up in. I don't understand how someone could simple hate a place. It isn't the place or the people that make it what it is, it is YOUR attitude toward it.
Also, the states aren't just a consumer society. Greatly? Yes. The US is a country founded on people looking for opportunity. There is a focus on success, but success to many Americans is simply being happy. Everyone you quoted in the article seemed to believe Americans all view success as proportional to money. And that is simply not true. Even so, there is more to PEOPLE more to a NATION then whatever it is that is different from yours.
I live in a small town in the rural US, unlike the old city where I lived in Germany. There are differences in that nature as well as the customs, but that does not mean the entire country is like the small town I live in.
These things I've said go for every country, every culture. Xenophobic, close-minded people are so terribly frustrating, but you find them in every bloody corner of the earth. Not just the US.
I simply felt the need to express my discomfort with that particular article. I do not wish to change your, or anyone else's, view of America, but to share what I find as a flaw in your perception of other countries. Ironically, the very thing many of your sources cited for their dislike of America is the same thing they are going by being close-minded.

Thank you for your time,
Laelia H
An Annoyed German
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Repatriate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 am

She probably loves America because her value shot up by about +2 points when she stepped off the plane. There's absolutely no content in her reply it's amazing. She just rambles on and on about how every place is special and has good things about it. What she doesn't get is that we've been saying all along that countries have different positive and negative qualities.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby marklambo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Repatriate wrote:She probably loves America because her value shot up by about +2 points when she stepped off the plane. There's absolutely no content in her reply it's amazing. She just rambles on and on about how every place is special and has good things about it. What she doesn't get is that we've been saying all along that countries have different positive and negative qualities.

Of course she loves it here, she's living in the capital of Feminism and enjoying every single bit of it.
Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
marklambo
Junior Poster

Return to General Discussions