Latest 100 Topics Disappears

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Latest 100 Topics Disappears

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 8:34 am
Winston wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 3:10 am
Is the Latest 100 Topics page ok now? It seems to display ok now. Are any of you still having trouble with it? Let me know. Thanks.
It is NOT working. Empty page.
Regardless which browser I use. Computer is on Windows7

Anyway, the

View Active Topics

is now working well - so I do not really miss the 'Latest 100 Topics'.

I can use the icon on the left side down, change the search option of the ACTIVE Topics from 7 days up to 1 year
and it works really fast.

The 'Latest 100 Topic' page was however comfortable to use in the past, nice overview.
Ok well I put a notice on the Latest 100 Topics page about why it's not working, and urged the viewer to use the Active Topics Page instead.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Traveler wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 9:49 am
I see several deprecated (outdated) functions in the above code. This might work:
What did you change in the code? Did you just change the "mysql" to "mysqli" only? Ok I will test it and see if it works. Thanks.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow it works again! Check it out!

latesttopics.php

You're a genius!

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Finally like CeCe Peniston.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Who or what is CeCe Peniston? Some rock/rap artist? lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just for reference, the script for the Latest 100 Topics Page comes from here:

http://hawkee.com/snippet/5344/

If any of you want to use it for your forum, keep in mind that it's from 2008, so you will have to change the "mysql" part to "mysqli" for it to work, since "mysql" is deprecated.

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Latest 100 Topics - Yes, it is functioning again.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just to let you all know, if you're using the dark theme, and you go to the latest 100 topics page, all the links there will go to the light theme version of the forum. There is no separate version of that page for the dark theme. I might be able to install one, but there's probably no need. Because if you want to just see the latest topics, you can also go to the Active Topics Page too, which will show them. The dark theme has its own version of the Active Topics Page that will have links that stay within the dark theme. Just click View Active Topics or View Your Posts in the dark theme and see.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@Traveler I have a problem. The latest 100 topics page does work for the latest 100 topics page. However, when I put the code into the home page to display the latest 8 topics in a box, it doesn't work. It keeps saying "Could not connect". See the home page: www.happierabroad.com . How come the code doesn't work there? Can you troubleshoot it to see why? Here is the code I'm using which works for the latest 100 topics page:

Code: Select all

<?php
    // How Many Topics you want to display?
    $topicnumber = 8;
    // Change this to your phpBB path
    $urlPath = "http://www.happierabroad.com";

// Database Configuration (Where your phpBB config.php file is located)
    include 'config.php';

$table_topics = $table_prefix. "topics";
    $table_forums = $table_prefix. "forums";
    $table_posts = $table_prefix. "posts";
    $table_users = $table_prefix. "users";
    $link = mysqli_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd") or die("Could not connect");
    mysqli_select_db($link, $dbname) or die("Could not select database");

$query = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title, t.topic_last_post_id, t.forum_id, p.post_id, p.poster_id, p.post_time, u.user_id, u.username
    FROM $table_topics t, $table_forums f, $table_posts p, $table_users u
    WHERE t.topic_id = p.topic_id AND
    f.forum_id = t.forum_id AND
    t.forum_id != 4 AND
    t.topic_status <> 2 AND
    p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id AND
    p.poster_id = u.user_id
    ORDER BY p.post_id DESC LIMIT $topicnumber";
    $result = mysqli_query($link, $query) or die("Query failed");

print "<table cellpadding='2' cellSpacing='1' width='575'>";
    while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC)) {

echo  "<tr valign='top'><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#FFCC00\"><a href=\"$urlPath/forum/viewtopic.php?f=$row[forum_id]&t=$row[topic_id]&p=$row[post_id]#p$row[post_id]\">" .
    $row["topic_title"] .
    "</a></td></font><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#000000\"> <a href=\"$urlPath/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=$row[user_id]\">" .
    $row["username"] .
    "</td></tr></font>";
    }
    print "</table>";
    mysqli_free_result($result);
    mysqli_close($link);
    ?>
I assume that if I change these two variables below, that it will work:

include 'config.php';
But it doesn't. Even when I enter "/forum/" for the urlPath or "/forum/config.php" for the include function, it still doesn't work. I've tried various combinations on the urlPath and it still won't show. How come? Can you figure out what's wrong or how to make it work? It's strange that in the forum folder, the urlpath for the main domain name works, but in the root folder it doesn't. Shouldn't it be the opposite? I don't get it. It's a bit of a puzzle. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Winston wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 6:31 am
@Traveler I have a problem. The latest 100 topics page does work for the latest 100 topics page. However, when I put the code into the home page to display the latest 8 topics in a box, it doesn't work. It keeps saying "Could not connect". See the home page: www.happierabroad.com . How come the code doesn't work there? Can you troubleshoot it to see why? Here is the code I'm using which works for the latest 100 topics page:

<?php
    // How Many Topics you want to display?
    $topicnumber = 8;

include 'config.php';

$table_topics = $table_prefix. "topics";
    $table_forums = $table_prefix. "forums";
    $table_posts = $table_prefix. "posts";
    $table_users = $table_prefix. "users";
    $link = mysqli_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd") or die("Could not connect");
    mysqli_select_db($link, $dbname) or die("Could not select database");

$query = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title, t.topic_last_post_id, t.forum_id, p.post_id, p.poster_id, p.post_time, u.user_id, u.username
    FROM $table_topics t, $table_forums f, $table_posts p, $table_users u
    WHERE t.topic_id = p.topic_id AND
    f.forum_id = t.forum_id AND
    t.forum_id != 4 AND
    t.topic_status <> 2 AND
    p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id AND
    p.poster_id = u.user_id
    ORDER BY p.post_id DESC LIMIT $topicnumber";
    $result = mysqli_query($link, $query) or die("Query failed");

print "<table cellpadding='2' cellSpacing='1' width='575'>";
    while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC)) {

echo  "<tr valign='top'><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#FFCC00\"><a href=\"$urlPath/forum/viewtopic.php?f=$row[forum_id]&t=$row[topic_id]&p=$row[post_id]#p$row[post_id]\">" .
    $row["topic_title"] .
    "</a></td></font><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#000000\"> <a href=\"$urlPath/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=$row[user_id]\">" .
    $row["username"] .
    "</td></tr></font>";
    }
    print "</table>";
    mysqli_free_result($result);
    mysqli_close($link);
    ?>
I assume that if I change these two variables below, that it will work:

include 'config.php';
But it doesn't. Even when I enter "/forum/" for the urlPath or "/forum/config.php" for the include function, it still doesn't work. I've tried various combinations on the urlPath and it still won't show. How come? Can you figure out what's wrong or how to make it work? It's strange that in the forum folder, the urlpath for the main domain name works, but in the root folder it doesn't. Shouldn't it be the opposite? I don't get it. It's a bit of a puzzle. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Try changing
include 'config.php';
to
include 'forum/config.php';

The variable $urlPath should not need to be changed. It is used in the PHP code to create links to threads. The links are absolute so they should work anywhere on the internet.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Traveler wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 1:43 pm
Try changing
include 'config.php';
to
include 'forum/config.php';

The variable $urlPath should not need to be changed. It is used in the PHP code to create links to threads. The links are absolute so they should work anywhere on the internet.
Ok it finally works now. Have a look:

https://www.happierabroad.com

Earlier I had it as:

include '/forum/config.php';
I thought you had to have the forward slash "/" before "forum". I don't understand why coding is so anal. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@Traveler

Another question. If I want to use that code to display external topics on another site or on a subdomain, like my blog, how do I configure these two variables? Thanks.

$urlPath = "https://www.happierabroad.com";

include 'config.php';
Would the second line be like this?

include 'https://www.happierabroad.com/forum/config.php';

Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Winston wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 3:06 pm
@Traveler

Another question. If I want to use that code to display external topics on another site or on a subdomain, like my blog, how do I configure these two variables? Thanks.

$urlPath = "https://www.happierabroad.com";

include 'config.php';
Would the second line be like this?

include 'https://www.happierabroad.com/forum/config.php';
It might work for a subdomain but not for an external site.

config.php is not a publicly accessible file. It contains the the values of the variables $dbhost, $dbuser, and $dbpassword. Your site uses that info to log into the database where the forum posts are stored. If you want that info to be available on another site just create a copy of config.php in that site's file system.